What's new

to dev team : I find the commun point on w2k boot pb

gorzerk

hi

i have a dc with oiriginals and bootable stuff.
nothing worked on my W2K system (=> seen as audio cd by chankast)
except those 2 games :
- guilty gear X (cdrom)
- ikaruga (iso mounted)
(for information all other CDI,nrg and cdroms I have all booted on a XP system)

I noticed that those 2 games have a commun point compared to ALL the rest:
- guilty gear X has several audio tracks before the game track.
- ikaruga has 2 audio tracks in the first session before the game session track.

I think chankast aspi control bug is bypassed under win2000 if there is more than 1 audio track at the beginning, whereas under XP it does not really matter.

I hope this notice will help to get rid of this aspi layer problem.
To all, now you know, games works under XP and under w2k, we will have to wait until next release...

Muchas gracias por Chankast que me deja todavia alucinado !

elbe

Mr.Driller also works on my 2000.

PS. Does anybody know (4 sure) taht it future relese win2000 will be suppotred ??
I don't have cash to buy xp (in my country xp is more expensive then DC)

[vEX]

niechift.com
gorzerk said:
hi

i have a dc with oiriginals and bootable stuff.
nothing worked on my W2K system (=> seen as audio cd by chankast)
except those 2 games :
- guilty gear X (cdrom)
- ikaruga (iso mounted)
(for information all other CDI,nrg and cdroms I have all booted on a XP system)

I noticed that those 2 games have a commun point compared to ALL the rest:
- guilty gear X has several audio tracks before the game track.
- ikaruga has 2 audio tracks in the first session before the game session track.

I think chankast aspi control bug is bypassed under win2000 if there is more than 1 audio track at the beginning, whereas under XP it does not really matter.

I hope this notice will help to get rid of this aspi layer problem.
To all, now you know, games works under XP and under w2k, we will have to wait until next release...

Muchas gracias por Chankast que me deja todavia alucinado !
Chankast isn't using ASPI, it's using ioctl, which is the reason why it's not working in Windows 98/ME (just for clarification).

spaffdog

ALSO..... under win2k data/data selfboots should wrk.. just discovered that just now... (all my games that do wrk are of the data/data variety)

i hate xp thats why i'm not gonna install it. i've got it on one of my other (many) pc's (lower spec though) and all my games wrk fine on it...

really hope 2000 is supported in future release... cos i really dont like xp one bit...

spaffdog

it is true... chankast wrks in xp... but so many things dont.

lets not hijack the thread about pro's and cons of xp.

besides it sucks anyway :p lol

rippon

Wow, its just like slashdot, 'cept theres no penguins involved!

But back on topic... sort of... someone should compile a list of games that work besides the three mentioned so far. Even if its just for the purpose of giving people a list of compatible games under W2K, and not helping the Chankast authors to fix the bug.

I'd imagine the bug is pretty simple, given the simple reproducability - its probably just an off by one bug, like maybe the API they're using in Windows XP zero roots CD tracks while in Windows 2000 it doesn't. I've heard they're not using ASPI, does anyone know what they are using?

OP
gorzerk

gorzerk

ok ok, it s not working through ASpi
although only stuff with at least 2 audio tracks works, so this may help anyway to find the root cause.
Assuming none of the coders are working under w2k, it s good to let them know what is the workaround.

maybe another clue :
what is that DATA/DATA bootmethod spaffdog spoke about in the 3rd page of "How to make your homebrew games bootable " ?
does that mean a data multisession disc would boot on w2k..

spaffdog

brief description...

Data/Data CD - A newer method of creating self booting CD's using a Data/Data layout with the Dreamcast binaries in the first track. Can be created using bin2boot, dir2boot. Certain Data/Data CD's can also be loaded in newer Dreamcasts which do not have MIL-CD support.

the data/data games i've tried have wrked....

i haven't made any myself, but i have some...

maybe we should look into this more...

the first game i tried that uses it is suzuki altare extreme racing..

oh here's another quick bit about data/data selfbooting (from mega games)

Note for Japanese DC owners (from OEM of dcwarez): My Jap DC refuses to boot the data/data selfboot format unless the total image size is below 70 minutes. Thus releases such as San Francisco Rush 2049, Deep Fighter & NFL2K1 don't work on my DC. (I have been able to get most of them to work though, by converting them to the old audio/data selfboot format.) According to Xeal this is a known problem with early Japanese models, which may explain why groups rarely use this format. It is also my experience that newer units won't boot the data/data format if the total image size is above 82 minutes (thus making it impossible to selfboot games like Sonic Adventure without ripping something out).