What's new

Dreamcast newbie - the original discs?

alex_ncfc

Ok, so i knew Dreamcast games can't be read in standard CD drives because they are GDs, but my brothers gone out and bought a (cheap) game (WWF Royal Rumble, which is very compatible according to the lists) even though I said the drive won't read it beforehand. The thing is, he's now p*ssed off because it won't read in the drive. I'm totally new to this as well, so was wondering if its ok to ask, how the heck do you get ISO images from the discs onto the hard drives?? Also, does anyone think an upcoming version of Chankast will have some kind of built in suppport for GD-Roms, or maybe someone is creating a GD-Rom driver for normal drives? I dont have a dreamcast, and my brother bought the game solely for the emulator :rolleyes: - is it worth hanging onto - ie - do you think it will be possible to play from the original discs in the future?

Cheers

dreamer

Also, does anyone think an upcoming version of Chankast will have some kind of built in suppport for GD-Roms
you really don't know much do you? it is not the emulator that cannot read the disks, it reads dreamcast game data fine, it is the cd-rom/dvd-rom drive which CANNOT READ THE GD-ROM DISK. no matter what, the data on one of these gd-roms is tightly compressed into a small read area and there is absolutely no way in hell you well get the game to run unless you rip the game data off the disk in another way, use a google search to find out.

OP
A

alex_ncfc

Right yeh cheers there, i mean apart from the fact that I put 'newbie' in my post title, surely anyone who could understand english would notice that i 'dont know much' as you put it? I don't come on message boards to get told i'm thick as sh*t - i was looking for a simple confirmation on the problem, which i got in somewhat different terms. I thought message boards were for help, but now it just seems they are full of people so up their own arse and would rather just tell people they are dumb than help.*

Thanks but no thanks

*not everyone on all messagboards i might add - some people actually are helpful

Last edited:

[vEX]

niechift.com
dreamer said:
you really don't know much do you? it is not the emulator that cannot read the disks, it reads dreamcast game data fine, it is the cd-rom/dvd-rom drive which CANNOT READ THE GD-ROM DISK. no matter what, the data on one of these gd-roms is tightly compressed into a small read area and there is absolutely no way in hell you well get the game to run unless you rip the game data off the disk in another way, use a google search to find out.
Actually, that's not true. Someone is working on reading GD-ROM's in your normal DVD-ROM drive.

dreamer

Right yeh cheers there, i mean apart from the fact that I put 'newbie' in my post title, surely anyone who could understand english would notice that i 'dont know much' as you put it? I don't come on message boards to get told i'm thick as sh*t - i was looking for a simple confirmation on the problem, which i got in somewhat different terms. I thought message boards were for help, but now it just seems they are full of people so up their own arse and would rather just tell people they are dumb than help.

Thanks but no thanks

look i'm sorry okay? i think it i was a bit harsh and didn't mean it that way, but as far as i know it can't be done. your game could be ripped if you got a bb adaptor and some other stuff to rip the data off, or the much easier way would be to find the game on the net. :unsure: perhaps i should stop acting like a twat and realise i don't know much either, in fact only a week ago i would've asked the same question :huh: oh the irony (i'm gonna keep my mouth zipped for a bit).
i think i acted like that cos thats how someone spoke to me on another board in the same way when i asked a simple question and i got pissed off with them and it never came out, interestingly now that makes me bad too. (Apologies for the 'you don't know much' comment...good luck with the game)

dreamer

OP
A

alex_ncfc

dreamer said:
look i'm sorry okay? i think it i was a bit harsh and didn't mean it that way, but as far as i know it can't be done. your game could be ripped if you got a bb adaptor and some other stuff to rip the data off, or the much easier way would be to find the game on the net. :unsure: perhaps i should stop acting like a twat and realise i don't know much either, in fact only a week ago i would've asked the same question :huh: oh the irony (i'm gonna keep my mouth zipped for a bit).
i think i acted like that cos thats how someone spoke to me on another board in the same way when i asked a simple question and i got pissed off with them and it never came out, interestingly now that makes me bad too. (Apologies for the 'you don't know much' comment...good luck with the game)

dreamer

Ok I guess i might have over reacted a bit too. I just got really irritated by it lol. It's just it really p*sses me off on these emulation message boards how some people take it very seriously, and take it out on people for asking a simple question, when the person wouldnt have asked the quesiton in the frst place if they knew the answers!! I was possibly harsh too so no hard feelings. As for these GD-ROMs, hopefully something will come along - for now though, looks like we may have to buy a Dreamcast to make him happy :plain:

alex_ncfc

steamover

Yeti & Snake Champion
you can buy the GDs and download the backups... in that case it's not illegal (well, for us... i suppose SEGA doesn't think the same :saint: )