What's new

Stealing Focus in WinXP

Talas

Son of the Sky
Hi everybody,

I have a question: with Win98 SE and the Tweak Application one could stop windows from "stealing focus". That means that windows always puts the window in front which has just been updated with something. This can be very annoying when you are writing something and your Thunderbird is running. Whenever you get an e-mail POP Thunderbird is in the foreground. Now, you could turn this "focus-stealing" off in Win98. Can I also do that in WinXP?

Greets,

Talas

Gorxon

Administrator
Strange...such things shouldn't happen should it? I take it it's a feature in Thunderbird?

OP
Talas

Talas

Son of the Sky
Hi Gorxon,

nope, thats no feature of Thunderbird. Another example. I open up 4 Windows of IE. Whenever one of the Windows Updates (say, I pushed the Refresh button) the focus switches to that window, even though I want to hold another one in focus. I remember that the old Tweak for Win98 had the option to remove this "Focus Stealing". Have any idea how to do the same thing for XP?

sheik124

Emutalk Member
try TweakUI, i think its a part of the PowerToys for Windows XP, get them at microsoft.com, they should have them

Gorxon

Administrator
Preventing Applications from Stealing the Focus

Added 12/14/02

To prevent applications from stealing the focus from the window you are working

Start Regedit

Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Control Panel \ Desktop

Edit the key ForegroundLockTimeout

Give it a value of 00030d40

--------

Took me 2 minutes to google...you'd find a solution faster that way :p

-edit-