What's new

removing the heatsink

mesman00

What's that...?
i remember when i built my computer putting the heatsink on was a pain in the ass. now i want to remove it, which is an even bigger pain in the ass. can anyone piont me to a site that gives a good step by step instructions (perhaps with pics) for doing this, or just give me a walkthrough. thanks.

Stezo2k

S-2K
actually, taking it off is fairly easy, what i did, was unhook the left side with a screw driver, and that worked ok :)

only problems i have is putting the damn thing on without damaging anything

refraction

PCSX2 Coder
way ive done it without applying too much pressure is the same way you said stezo, but when you push down with the screwdriver, hold the heatsink with your other hand and pull up slightly, taking the pressure off the core, that way you dont crush it :)

Allnatural

I've always used a wide, flat-head screwdriver for installing/removing heatsinks, taking care to not let it slip. It has always worked well for me.

Flash

Technomage
mesman00 said:
i remember when i built my computer putting the heatsink on was a pain in the ass. now i want to remove it, which is an even bigger pain in the ass. can anyone piont me to a site that gives a good step by step instructions (perhaps with pics) for doing this, or just give me a walkthrough. thanks.
It's emutalk.net, not telepaths_at_your_service.org... What heatsink ?

sheik124

Emutalk Member
do what allnatural says, it has never failed me, just grab a flat head with the widest tip you can find, and center it on the clamp, that way you have a low chance of it slipped and screwing up mobo traces