What's new

Doc for anyone wanting to program an emu

Teamz

J'aime tes seins
yeah I read that doc a couple of times last year and I must say it is VERY good to anyone interested in technical emulation

lol yeah I deleted the double post :p but yeah it's a very good doc ;)

Last edited:

Nighty0

Gentoo n00b
really cool...... i'm in chapter 3 right now...... very thanks.......

/*EDIT*/

i'm thinking...... what you think about we (emutalk users) create a thread with some links to high quality docs (like the doc above) related to emulation (other docs than that already hosted by emulation64).......
i hope this can help some programmer newbies/emu fans (like me), and can help all emulation community.......
only an idea.......

Last edited:

zenogais

I've skimmed through this doc a few times, its a very good document, but in no way "comprehensive". I still recommend anyone who wants to learn emu programming read through it.

sammyboy

Certified SuperHero
I know this post is a bit late but what are they on about CD ROM. This is an online doc right or is it just been uploaded to the internet by someone.

MasterPhW

Master of the Emulation Flame
Nighty0 said:
i'm thinking...... what you think about we (emutalk users) create a thread with some links to high quality docs (like the doc above) related to emulation (other docs than that already hosted by emulation64).......
i hope this can help some programmer newbies/emu fans (like me), and can help all emulation community.......
only an idea.......
You are thinking? Great! :p
And a great idea, too! Let us do that together! Nighty? Will you open the thread? That will be a sticky one!

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Great doc? Bah :p
It mostly tells you how this works, how that works... (really confusing too) and little to what you need to know. Well, this is at least IMO. So much crap in it and stuff, I gave up reading it.

OP
refraction

refraction

PCSX2 Coder
Doomulation said:
Great doc? Bah :p
It mostly tells you how this works, how that works... (really confusing too) and little to what you need to know. Well, this is at least IMO. So much crap in it and stuff, I gave up reading it.

Emulation theory is more important than the code itself, you should be able to work that out eventually, but it helps to know HOW your going to do it first and understanding the concepts.

when you went to school did the teacher just go "right heres some raw materials, make it explode" or did he sit you down to a few lessons telling you how things happen first? :)

GbaGuy

refraction said:
when you went to school did the teacher just go "right heres some raw materials, make it explode" or did he sit you down to a few lessons telling you how things happen first? :)

The first one actually...
Chemistry teacher would give the homework for a new topic
first, then grade right/wrong, then teach us the topic.. (not very well.. I might add..)
Safe to say, things blew up *A LOT*... nearly failed...

OP
refraction

refraction

PCSX2 Coder
GbaGuy said:
The first one actually...
Chemistry teacher would give the homework for a new topic
first, then grade right/wrong, then teach us the topic.. (not very well.. I might add..)
Safe to say, things blew up *A LOT*... nearly failed...

then that would make sense to me to learn the theory first rather than just jump straight in without knowing what your doing ;)

milen

refraction said:
then that would make sense to me to learn the theory first rather than just jump straight in without knowing what your doing ;)

The two methods had their good and bad sides. I personally prefer a little little little bit of theroy just to start ,next a lot of practiece and if you have time than again theory. I never get to third step :)

zenogais

My approach to emulation is to do what I can, then learn the theory behind what I don't understand.

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
refraction said:
Emulation theory is more important than the code itself, you should be able to work that out eventually, but it helps to know HOW your going to do it first and understanding the concepts.

Well, see the doc is just like: "okay, to boot the computer from a disk, put it in the disk drive and start the computer."
Now, what if the one who were going to do this don't know what a "disk" or "disk drive" is? Or, how to actually put it in there?
That's mostly what this doc fails to deliver. It delivers the theory, but without the understanding on HOW to do it, it's pretty much useless =/