What's new

Unable to run bootable disc

tygra

hi,
the emu [chanka] runs fine on w2k.
the problem is that whenever i press the 'play' button, it always says: "Please insert game disc"

the iso it self is mounted with daemon tools (v3.46) on drive g:
i'v selected the drive from the 'options->configureDrives' (restarted emu) and pressed the init, still nothing.

i'v also tries to load the utopia bootcd iso, and i get the same result Please insert game disc"

the bios located in the same dir:
dc_bios.bin - 2mb
dc_flash.bin - 128kb
vms.bin - 128kb

mabye i am missing a file? ip.bin? anything?

XBOX

CHANKA CONTRIBUTOR
tygra said:
hi,
the problem is that whenever i press the 'play' button, it always says: "Please insert game disc"

i'v selected the drive from the 'options->configureDrives' (restarted emu) and pressed the init, still nothing.

i'v also tries to load the utopia bootcd iso, and i get the same result Please insert game disc"

dc_bios.bin - 2mb
dc_flash.bin - 128kb
vms.bin - 128kb

yeah you do need that IP.bin, otherwise dunt think it will werk..
:shaun:

OP
T

tygra

XBOX said:
yeah you do need that IP.bin, otherwise dunt think it will werk..
:shaun:

hi,

is there a generic ip.bin ? or needed to created for each cd?
and where i should put the ip.bin at? inside my iso?

XBOX

CHANKA CONTRIBUTOR
tygra said:
hi,

is there a generic ip.bin ? or needed to created for each cd?
and where i should put the ip.bin at? inside my iso?

THE IP.BIN is generic, you only need one for all the games.

search chanka boards you'll find it.

Kunohara

I am in the same situation as tygra. I did download the ip.bin file that you pointed to XBOX. I put the file in the same directory as the chanka one, and it didn't seem to do anything. I mounted the image on alcohol 120% (.cdi to be exact). I assume that you have to put it in the cd image itself. How would I go about doing that?

Arakon

I got the very same problem.. all games (selfboot) are seen as audio CDs and go to the audio player.. trying to boot them brings the "insert game" screen. I've tried images in alcohol, daemon tools, and actually burnt cds (which work on a real DC, btw), on 3 entirely different PCs, all with the same result.. the ONLY two games that do something are:

MDK2 - boots fine and crashes the emu after the intro
Ikaruga - boots the Sega logo, then keeps popping up IO Error (popup window) all the time till the emu freezes.

cooliscool

Nintendo Zealot
That's because of the way Chanka handles reading.. it's only fully supported in WinXP.. in other OSs, if it does work most games show up as Audio CDs.

Arakon

cooliscool said:
That's because of the way Chanka handles reading.. it's only fully supported in WinXP.. in other OSs, if it does work most games show up as Audio CDs.

urgh. I hope that gets fixed, cause I sure as heck am not gonna touch XP if my life depended on it.. and I'm quite sure there's no reason why it could only work in XP, but not 2k.

from what I've seen the emu is VERY impressive, it'd be sad if it would remain limited to XP.

OP
T

tygra

indeed,
i won't touch XP as well..urgh :)
so it seems that in <2k all we get is a audio layer when we put our cds rather than booting it.

cooliscool

Nintendo Zealot
Why not? If your PC is powerful enough and XP is configured right (stripped of useless services, apps) then it's as or more efficient as Win2K.

[vEX]

niechift.com
The reason why it doesn't work with the 9x-family is because they don't use ASPI in Chankast. It'll be added eventually.

Ex0skelet0r

Unreal Assasin
i have some games also which the emulator loads them like an audio cd..
use my tutorial to solve this problem.it works for me

exodust

The problem is the games are in vga mode and the ip.bin contains escencial info (1 parameter in ip.bin say if you can use a vga box), if this flag is off the game not start.

Arakon

@cooliscool: cause I've seen more winXP systems suicide than I care to count. cause I hate instabilities and cause I hate wasting resources.

@Ex0skelet0r: I just tried it and the same happens.. still audio cd.

Arakon

ok, I found a way to make it boot:

use Exo's selfboot kit, but throw a 698 kb bit audio.wav into the selfboot folder.. that way it will burn TWO audio tracks before the data, for some reason it starts booting then. however, sonic 2 resets to the menu after the echelon intro, and soul calibur gives me lots of IO errors.. so I'm not sure if there's a prob with that method.. trying VT2 now.

hazard

tygra said:
indeed,
i won't touch XP as well..urgh :)
so it seems that in <2k all we get is a audio layer when we put our cds rather than booting it.

Reminds me of when I refused steadfast to install Windows 95, when I loved DOS :unsure:

kokoko3k

Maybe the solution

tygra said:
hi,

dc_bios.bin - 2mb
dc_flash.bin - 128kb
vms.bin - 128kb

I had the same problem, only ikaruga booted, but the day after i changed my aspi layer from the nero ones to the adapetc (they're free now, download them).
Also, i noticed that sometimes the problem lies in my cdrom, so when i insert a cdrom i always press the refresh button in isobuster to force my win2k read all the sessions :)

that's all, should work.

Still i can't boot utopia because the emulator pops a message saying something about a cable... but 90% of the games i tried (echelon or kalisto) works YUPPIIIIII

OP
T

tygra

i'v tested it under winxp and it works well, (some iso stuck on the sega logo, but i will try other games now)

Goras

kokoko3k:

Did you use this version of aspi drivers: 4.71.2?
Are you using the games from your CDROM or mounting them? If you are mounting them, what program are you using to mount them?

Davv13

AMD2000XP=512DDR=9600XT
I used alcohol120% to mount image and I'm playing SF3 third strike.

Last edited: