What's new

Forgotten leaves VBA

ggab

Emutalk Member
just from www.ngemu.com:

« May 26, 2004 » Posted by: Kirby at 6:46 pm CET

Some sad news to bring to all the members of NGemu: Forgotten is leaving the VisualBoyAdvance project. VisualBoyAdvance will still be updated, thanks to a promising new coder called Kxu. Here is Forgotten's last public post:
Also, as an important notice, I am no longer working on the VBA code and I have transitioned it to kxu, who will keep VBA updated and has already created a Linux GTK GUI for VBA. Please be patient with him in and remember that no emulator is perfect.

Why I am quitting VBA? I had to decide what to do and the emulator was taking too much time and effort from me, that I lost interest in it. I have family, work and other stuff to worry about and I think I've done my share of contribution to the emulation scene.

So, help kxu if you can, join the project if you know programming and can help VBA improve.

So long,

Forgotten (last post ever)
The admin staff and all the members of NGemu wish Forgotten and Kxu the best of luck :)

» Source: Keith via Emufanatics (http://www.emufanatics.com/)
» The VisualBoyAdvance homepage can be found:
http://vba.ngemu.com/ & http://sourceforge.net/projects/vba/

------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------

and now.... a good news, from http://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?forum_id=378391

Posted By: kxu
Date: 2004-05-26 02:20
Summary: VBA 1.7.2: optimized binaries for Windows

Many people noticed that the VBA 1.7.2 build for Windows was really slower than the 1.7.1. The binaries for Windows have been rebuilt in order to fix this.

To get the optimized binaries download again files on Sourceforge.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Clements

kxu said:
I am kxu :)

I've contributed to the VBA development because Forgotten has released the source under GPL. In fact Forgotten was looking for developers helping him, but we were too few. Now that I am responsible of the development of VBA, I am still looking for help. Co-development is a really good thing for improving a software.

For the moment, a developer with good skills on Windows development is needed and we always need developers for analysing and/or fixing bugs.

The plans for VBA are always the same :
- improve the core of the emulator to get the same behaviour than GBA's hardware (this is the only way we fix bugs)
- improve the GUIs for the pleasure of players
- improve and add tools (viewers/debugger/profiler/...) for the GBA developers (the amateur scene is very active)
- maybe an experimental support for linking (later...)

Developing VBA is still a hobby for us, and we are not paid to do this.. so be patient :)

Sounds pretty sweet to me. Good luck to him, and farewell Forgotten, for creating an amazing emulator.

Stezo2k

S-2K
Same about the news, but i'd say VBA is complete anyway, it plays most GBA games almost perfectly at a good speed. sounds great about the new features that may be added, link play sounds promising :)

Federelli

Beta Tester
VBA is the best emu, but it still has so many issues.
optimization is one of them. Games should be running at 600% or more when uncapped.
Sound needs lots of work as well, perhaps even adding 96000khz (or 48000khz) output for those with Audigys2 :)

revl8er

That Damn Good
Farewell Forgotten, I was using VBA since the beginning and I must say it will probably always be the best gba emulator.

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
He's already forgotten! :p
Looks to me like this kxu is pretty resourceful. I think he can do something great to vba. Let's wait and hope.

xamenus

Doomulation said:
He's already forgotten! :p
Looks to me like this kxu is pretty resourceful. I think he can do something great to vba. Let's wait and hope.

Hmm, maybe even netplay. :)

Shin_Gouki

i think the GBA link cable speed is something with 2 Mbit speed so you better got then a pretty good conection :p
but anyway little sad to see some great author going but good to see some else to pick up his work !
wbr Shin Gouki

Shin_Gouki

correct ! first there must be some REALLY deep thoughts about how to implement this and then MAY be a LAN solution will be avaiable..
VBA linking is just totaly diffrent from SNES or Arcade ones because in their cases two PCs simulate one Console maschine and so they "just" have to exchange the synchronized and simulated input data. but VBA uses diffrent multiplayer because you can´t play with 4 players on 1 VBA ( can you?)and it seems from the first look that VBA multiplayer emulation has to be like this: that every "host" PC has additionally to the first VBA has to emulate the second and THEN their synchronized signals are exchanged over a 2Mbit line. Somehing like that ^_~ i read some thing about in in some VBA forums ( i think forgotten wrote those words back then ;) ) but i can´t remember too well. I won´t say its impossible but may be i want to say to people "screaming" after features, that it is of course not so easy as is seems often and -> to quote kxu:
Developing VBA is still a hobby for us, and we are not paid to do this.. so be patient

wbr Shin Gouki

Doomulation

I agree that it *MIGHT* be possible over LAN. And shin_gouki is right ;) So I don't think this will be implemted yet for a while. Unless it would be on the same computer.

Viper_Viper

I think it is very possible to go over Lan, or even just have 4 screens on one PC. LAN's are usualy 10Mb/s or 100Mb/s. I have a 100Mb/s and it runs perfectly. There is an GB/GBC emulator based on VBA that has link capiblities. I cant remember the name at the moment, ill go look that up.

Doomulation

You are forgetting the latency! It doesn't matter if you LAN can do 1000 MByte/s if it takes 100 ms to reach the other computer.
This would depend on how good the LAN is and such. Emulating it on the same computer would of course be possible... but it needs to emulate a gameboy for each game o_O and that can take resources!

Maybe the author tweaked the linking a little of something... because it sure isn't easy.