What's new

Chanka, a new DC emulator

PsyMan

Just Another Wacko ;)
At last a DC emulator that runs commercial games is going to be released in about a month from now. Is it going to be as good as it seems? We'll find out sooner or later.
Ah and here are some screenshots showing its latest progress. ;)

Sonic Adventure 2:
sonic21.jpg

Unreal 2:
unreal2.jpg

Metropolis street racer:
msr.jpg

Tony Hawk 2:
tonyhawk2.jpg

Jet grind radio:
jetgrindradio.jpg

There are also some other screenshots and a couple of videos released here and there. You can use a search engine like google to find them if you are interested.

OP
PsyMan

PsyMan

Just Another Wacko ;)
Stezo2k said:
i'll believe it when i try it mate, seems kind of fake to me for some reason
Well the only known fake DC emulator is nightmare.
There are some noobs saing that Icarus is fake but it isn't. Both F|RES and ector who are known for their recent Gamecube project (Dolphin) and of course CyRUS64 who is known for his efford on a N64 emulator (Daedalus) were working on Icarus.
If you enable the "overlay some statistics" option on Dolphin's GFX plugin configuration you'll see that some statistics are displayed on the screen just like on some Icarus screenshots.
Anyway ChankaDC is going to take part on a Dreamcast coding competition on this or the next month.

Last edited:

dreamer

wow if it really does work...i'll be very impressed, good work for finding this info out. i just wonder what kind of specs would be necessary for this to run well..

Looks real to me. JGR shows some clipping and texture errors, Tony Hawk 2 has miscolored text, which isn't an issue on the real thing. This will definitely make an interesting emu.

Last edited:

Stezo2k

S-2K
PsyMan said:
Well the only known fake DC emulator is nightmare.
There are some noobs saing that Icarus is fake but it isn't. Both F|RES and ector who are known for their recent Gamecube project (Dolphin) and of course CyRUS64 who is known for his efford on a N64 emulator (Daedalus) were working on Icarus.
If you enable the "overlay some statistics" option on Dolphin's GFX plugin configuration you'll see that some statistics are displayed on the screen just like on some Icarus screenshots.
Anyway ChankaDC is going to take part on a Dreamcast coding competition on this or the next month.

well yeah, but i was on about this emulator mate, i just think its strange how an unknown dreamcast emulator can come out of the blue without no news about it previously and play many games well. Too good to be true to be honest :)

Good work though if its real :)

OP
PsyMan

PsyMan

Just Another Wacko ;)
Good news! According to a Spanish radio program that is related to emulation, ChankaDC is going to be released in this or the next week! The compatibility is not very high (aprox.10%) but it increases with amazing speed. The emulation speed is quite high (Tony Hawk 2 runs at 60 fps with sound under an AMD 2600). If you speak Spanish you can download the recorded radio program from EMULATRONIA.

Stezo2k

S-2K
PsyMan said:
Good news! According to a Spanish radio program that is related to emulation, ChankaDC is going to be released in this or the next week! The compatibility is not very high (aprox.10%) but it increases with amazing speed. The emulation speed is quite high (Tony Hawk 2 runs at 60 fps with sound under an AMD 2600). If you speak Spanish you can download the recorded radio program from EMULATRONIA.

wow, would like to try this then, hopefully i'll get 60FPS :) haven't got too many backups to play on it though :huh:

OP
PsyMan

PsyMan

Just Another Wacko ;)
ChankaDC is going to be released in a few days so many people would like to know its requirements, here they are:

CPU with SSE instructions (Intel P3/P4 or AMD XP)
ATI Radeon or nVida GeForce (with the last drivers)
DirectX 9.0b
Windows XP and maybe 2003 (other Windows versions are NOT supported)

This ChankaDC release will have the following features:

Compatibility is about 10%
Some games work at 40fps
Near perfect sound (P4 2Ghz or AMD XP 2600).
Tony Hawk works at 60fps with sound!!

Last edited:

mesman00

What's that...?
Stezo2k said:
well yeah, but i was on about this emulator mate, i just think its strange how an unknown dreamcast emulator can come out of the blue without no news about it previously and play many games well. Too good to be true to be honest :)

Good work though if its real :)

are you forgetting UltraHLE. it was the same thing, unknown and just came out of nowhere, cept for the n64.

Hexidecimal

Emutalk Bounty Hunter.
I'm interested to get this as soon as it releases, and see which of my erm, legally backed up DC games play.

revl8er

That Damn Good
This emulator seems pretty good, I've seen some of the screens on ngemu and they look great especially the gfx and speed. I just need to buy a new motherboard since mine doesn't wanna run my athlon xp 3200 at full speed.

ggab

Emutalk Member
news: from http://www.dcemu.co.uk/chanka.shtml

DCEmu.co.uk DC Emulators Section
Name: Chanka
Author: Garrofi (aka Miguel Angel Pastor)
Description: New Dreamcast Emulator for windows.
Download: Not Yet :)
Information:
We were speaking yesterday with the programmer of the Chanka(emulador de Dreamcast for Windows) and it said to us that the videos of the games reproduced correctly, that the sound or was implemented and was very good, and that the date of exit of the emulator continued being final of June or principles of Julio. So that you see the evolution of the emulator we put screenshots to you of the games here.
3rdstrike.gif

sonic222.gif

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
check this out!!!!
New Video 26th May 2004

New Video of Chanka Running- Download HERE (direct link http://homepage.ntlworld.com/da.waugh/chanka2.rm) Real Media Player Vid File size 3.1mb

official page!!! is: http://www.chanka.org & http://chanka.emulatronia.com

release date!!!! from http://downloads.rcb.es/sonic/audio/emulatronia/
maybe at this weekend (Saturday... just maybe...) check this radio's shows
(in Spanish) emulatronia19mayo.wma & emulatronia26mayo.wma
Chanka.jpg

dreamer

<i>I'm interested to get this as soon as it releases, and see which of my erm, legally backed up DC games play.
</i>

i'm hoping skies of Arcadia works/will work in the future :holiday:

that really is a special game and would be great to play under emulation!

ggab

Emutalk Member
mvc2mini.jpg

29 of May (the Saturday!!!). During this week the compatibility has been increased considerably and now games like Marvel versus Capcom 2 work, Daytona the USA, Crazy Taxi, Capcom versus the SNK, Grandia 2... and very many more. Also the VMU have been emulated and support of joystick has been added.