What's new

Problem w/ Satourne

WizardOfOz

I've given up trying to solve this problem on my own, so I figured that it was time to post here. I keep getting the error of "no SCSI2" no matter what I do.

I've downloaded and installed the latest ASPI package. I'm using Win XP Pro with all the latest critical updates, drivers, and patches. I have 512mb of RAM, and am using a GeForce 2 card with the latest drivers.

I'm using the latest build of Satourne, not the debug one or anything, and even deleted and re-installed it. Same error.

I have two CD-based drives in my system: A primary CD/DVD reader, and a slave DVD/CD burner.

I can dual-boot into Win98SE, but have yet to try that.

I've already tried looking for FAQs, searching this forum, and searching Google - nothing found.

Any ideas?

Flash

Technomage
Satourne - bugs inside :D I can't get this emulator working on 14 different machines, with Win98, WinXP, tried to run under WineX - it hangs.
And what da hell is SCSI2 ? If there's ASPI problems it should say "ASPI error blah blah". Satourne or Saturn hardware have nothing to deal with SCSI (1,2, U160-320 etc)

OP
W

WizardOfOz

Flash said:
Satourne - bugs inside :D I can't get this emulator working on 14 different machines, with Win98, WinXP, tried to run under WineX - it hangs.
And what da hell is SCSI2 ? If there's ASPI problems it should say "ASPI error blah blah". Satourne or Saturn hardware have nothing to deal with SCSI (1,2, U160-320 etc)

I have no idea what the error means either, it is very perplexing.

Are there any other good Saturn emulators out there that can play NiGHTS and/or Sonic Jam?

HShadow

Playstation 1 basher
WizardOfOz said:
I have no idea what the error means either, it is very perplexing.

Are there any other good Saturn emulators out there that can play NiGHTS and/or Sonic Jam?

Yes i would like to know to. How many emu's are there for the saturn?

PsyMan

Just Another Wacko ;)
First of all the latest satourne built (v1.1P) works only on win XP/2K/2003.
You must have the latest ASPI drivers installed (If this doesn't work you may have to install the 4.71 ASPI drivers version and after that install the 4.60 drivers version).
You must NOT have custom IDE drivers installed (use the ones that come with windows).
After that, make sure that you have made all the possible plugin combinations.
If it still doesn't work, use another emulator...

HShadow

Playstation 1 basher
PsyMan said:
First of all the latest satourne built (v1.1P) works only on win XP/2K/2003.
You must have the latest ASPI drivers installed (If this doesn't work you may have to install the 4.71 ASPI drivers version and after that install the 4.60 drivers version).
You must NOT have custom IDE drivers installed (use the ones that come with windows).
After that, make sure that you have made all the possible plugin combinations.
If it still doesn't work, use another emulator...

That is just plain rediculous! Im not doing all that just to play Saturn games! Nope

2fast4u

well, buy a real saturn then, how about that. you cant expect an emulator to run perfectly and idiot-proof at a state this early.

PsyMan

Just Another Wacko ;)
HShadow said:
That is just plain rediculous! Im not doing all that just to play Saturn games! Nope
If I were you, I wouldn't do this either :p
As 2fast4u said if you want perfect emulation just go and buy a real saturn.

HShadow

Playstation 1 basher
PsyMan said:
If I were you, I wouldn't do this either :p
As 2fast4u said if you want perfect emulation just go and buy a real saturn.

I dont expect perfect emulation. What i do expect is to click a few options and hope that it runs ok.

As for reconfigureing your computer system JUST to play a saturn emu, thats stupid really.

I will wait until things improve...

2fast4u

uhh, right. installing proper aspi drivers hardly qualifes as a hugeass reconfiguration of your system, unless you dont know what to do.

OP
W

WizardOfOz

2fast4u said:
uhh, right. installing proper aspi drivers hardly qualifes as a hugeass reconfiguration of your system, unless you dont know what to do.

I whole-heartedly agree - installing ASPI was about the least of the problems I experienced, and certainly the easiest to resolve. My real Saturn plays all the games fine, so it's not like it's a loss to not have a working emulator - I just love emulators for the all-in-one feel they give my PC, and Saturn emulators seem to be kinda trickier than others.

I followed all your advice, and Satourne still doesn't work, so I'm looking around for another emulator. Thank you all for the help, though. =)

PsyMan

Just Another Wacko ;)
WizardOfOz said:
I whole-heartedly agree - installing ASPI was about the least of the problems I experienced, and certainly the easiest to resolve. My real Saturn plays all the games fine, so it's not like it's a loss to not have a working emulator - I just love emulators for the all-in-one feel they give my PC, and Saturn emulators seem to be kinda trickier than others.

I followed all your advice, and Satourne still doesn't work, so I'm looking around for another emulator. Thank you all for the help, though. =)

I think I just found the solution to your problem... Just download this file, unzip it and place it in the satourne directory. There should be another file named "MSVCP70.DLL" in the directory. MSVCR70.DLL is not included in the latest saturne version for some reason, but satourne cannot run without it.

Last edited:

HShadow

Playstation 1 basher
Ok i do admit to one thing. I thought i had all my drivers for XP set up. I dont know what ASPI is but when i select either plugin for CD block (a or b) i get an error message "LoadLibrary:WINASPI32.DLL Please install ASPI.

Im good with PC's and as far as i was concerned everything was up to date.

Any ideas what i should do next chaps as allthe other plugins are ready to go. This is the only one that is not working now.

I put this file MSVCR70.dll in my emu directory and it made no difference.

I have 2 CD ROM drives:

ARTEC WRR-52X
MATSHITA CD-RW CW-8572

thats what windows XP reports. For both driver provider is M$ date: 01/07/2001 so it is likley to be from XP not something i have d/l.

Any ideas and is it worth the hassle? Will i actually be able to play a Saturn CD game if i get this working?

Thanks for all your help!

PsyMan

Just Another Wacko ;)
Install the 4.71 ASPI drivers version and after that install the 4.60 drivers version.
You must NOT have custom IDE drivers installed or else there may be a conflict between the IDE drivers and the ASPI (use the ones that come with windows).
I already wrote that in my previous post.

HShadow

Playstation 1 basher
PsyMan said:
Install the 4.71 ASPI drivers version and after that install the 4.60 drivers version.
You must NOT have custom IDE drivers installed or else there may be a conflict between the IDE drivers and the ASPI (use the ones that come with windows).
I already wrote that in my previous post.

Where would i get 4.71 amd 4.60 from please as i dont seem to have them? Would they just go straight into the emu main directory? Thanks for your help

PsyMan

Just Another Wacko ;)
HShadow said:
Where would i get 4.71 amd 4.60 from please as i dont seem to have them? Would they just go straight into the emu main directory? Thanks for your help

The 4.71 version is HERE.
and the 4.60 version is HERE.
EDIT: You just have to unzip and install them.

Last edited: