What's new

About the Zelda Master Quest ROM

machspeed

Dead Guy
I was playing Zelda OoT Master Quest and i came across something rather interesting: The targeting in Original Zelda is Z, while the Targeting in Master Quest is L (it still uses the Z button though)...Does that mean that this was realeased as kind of a gamecube rom? I know it isnt, but the same thing on the Master Quest ROM is exact on the Gamecube version? Dare to Compare:

Clements

The Master Quest Rom was actually taken from the GC Zelda Bonus Disk, which also has Nintendo's own N64 emulator on it in order to run the rom on a GC. It weird that they took that root, but they did.

OP
machspeed

machspeed

Dead Guy
thanks guys...i just thought that was a little strange if it was actually an n64 release or something but then i saw the targeting controls....thats interesting

thx
machspeed :gunman:

Qun Mang

nuqDaq 'oH puchpa''e'
It was never released in the US for the N64, but the Japanese got to play this game on their Ultra 64 systems. I believe it was called Uri-Zelda or something like that. Of course when they finally translated it for release on the GC, they did so with the GC controller in mind AFAIK.

Modem

ph33r teh hammy!
Well yeah. The GC controller's L button is just as easy to reach, and feels almost the same as the Z trigger for the N64.
- Modem

OP
machspeed

machspeed

Dead Guy
Yea, that makes sense....What about this ultra 64? Is that something like the disk drive? or was it ever released at all anywhere?

Qun Mang

nuqDaq 'oH puchpa''e'
machspeed said:
Yea, that makes sense....What about this ultra 64? Is that something like the disk drive? or was it ever released at all anywhere?

Just the Japanese version of the N64, assuming I got the name right. In other words, Ura-Zelda was a Japan only release. We didn't get it until they released it on the GC bonus disc as Zelda:OOT Master Quest.

Powerlord

Evil Emperor
Qun Mang said:
Just the Japanese version of the N64, assuming I got the name right. In other words, Ura-Zelda was a Japan only release. We didn't get it until they released it on the GC bonus disc as Zelda:OOT Master Quest.

I had heard that Ura-Zelda was cancelled and never actually came out in Japan either.

OP
machspeed

machspeed

Dead Guy
i was wondering something just recently: if they made an emulator to run Zelda Perfectly, then is it possible to extract the emulator as they did with the ROM? May sound like a newb question, but i figured it was worth asking....

I've noticed that they have been using emulators with Animal Forest(n64 import)/Animal Crossing(GCN 2003) with the NES games...

anyone have any input?

Clements

Yes the emu(s) can be extracted and manipulated to play some other games (might not want to ask how).

Modem

ph33r teh hammy!
The only difference is that they only have to make their so called "emulator" compatable for that one single game. If they decided to make one that would universally run anything they throw at it, someone would steal it somehow, haha. Nintendo knows exactly what they need to run every game, so it's not like it would take them long to write a "emulator" for the GC to run N64 games.
- Modem

OP
machspeed

machspeed

Dead Guy
i thought of that afterwards...It makes sense, i think they did the same thing with the NES on Animal Crossing GCN...there's 10 or 11 games for that, but then again every NES game is pretty much the same thing ;)

GogoTheMimic

Pimpin' Red Mage
As far as I know, "Ura Zelda" was a Nintendo 64 DD add on kit that allowed you to make and modify OoT dungeons and things of that nature. The idea was canned and was never released anywhere although Nintendo admitted that it was nearly, if not completely, err complete. It would be cool if someday somebody got a hold of a copy of it like they did with SF2 for the SNES but who knows. My guess as to why it never came out was because the DD bombed.

As far as the N64 emulator on GCN being perfect, I disagree. Isn't there some slowdown and graphical glitches in Majora's Mask?

Animal Crossing is a port though isn't it?

Clements

Yeah, the emu is far from perfect since it can't run all N64 games, and occasionally the game will pause for a split second when moving to a new area. AFAIK Animal Crossing is a port, but the NES games hidden therein are emulated.

OP
machspeed

machspeed

Dead Guy
Yes Animal Crossing is a port of Animal Forest of the Nintendo 64...It was only released in Japan, and from what i read there aren't as many features as on Animal Crossing of the Gamecube (duh). Use this link and read through an Import review for Animal Crossing:

http://ign64.ign.com/articles/354/354488p1.html

Here's a List of the Nintendo NES games emulated in Animal Forest:
Donkey Kong
Donky Kong Jr.
Tennis
Pinball
Golf
Kuru Kuru Land
Balloon Fight

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
Clements said:
The Master Quest Rom was actually taken from the GC Zelda Bonus Disk, which also has Nintendo's own N64 emulator on it in order to run the rom on a GC. It weird that they took that root, but they did.

It isn't really that weird.

If they were to recode the game, they'd have to go back through and basically re-create everything from scratch.

For emulation, they just have to define the list of functions and then replace them with corresponding GC funcs.

Emulating is less work, since you'd only have to replace each function once, whereas a rewrite would have to repeat a lot more.

i was wondering something just recently: if they made an emulator to run Zelda Perfectly, then is it possible to extract the emulator as they did with the ROM? May sound like a newb question, but i figured it was worth asking....

OK, er... beyond any issues with the emulator supporting games other than Zelda...

Extracting the emulator wouldn't do any good because you can't use it on a PC. The Master Quest emulator is designed to translate to code compatible with an IBM Gekko CPU, based on PowerPC 405e, and ArtX's Flipper LSI (GPU and SPU), which uses neither OpenGL nor Direct3D. So what exactly would you run it on?