What's new

ATI or nVidia?

Who truly is king of the hill?

• Total voters

Xade

Irrelevant Insight
ATI or NVIDIA?

Right, once and for all, let's see who the emutalk masses love.

In the blue corner we've got NVIDIA, getting ready to launch their FX 6800.

In the red, we've got ATI, more than likely preparing something equally as devastating.

I'm up for NVIDIA, and I've been with them ever since ditching my old Voodoo Banshee.

Yes, this is supposed to be provocative and it'll piss people off, and it's majorly basic but... whatever... we need to know. With that in mind... GET VOTING, BITCHES.

Edit: Yeah sorry about the wrong nvidia spelling, they changed the way they listed their name, I'm pretty sure. Or I'm just a moron

Last edited:

Hacktarux

Emulator Developer
And, on which base people are supposed to answer ??? Nothing is known about the next ATI chip afaik....

vampireuk

Mr. Super Clever
Well this poll is off because both companies first of all have their strong and weakpoints. And a company never stays on top forever, ATI were on top, now its NVIDIA and we will have to see what the new ATI card brings.

So there isn't a king of the hill but when it comes to personal prefernce I'll take NVIDIA, because ATI's drivers have been shit since 3.10

Edit: you also spelt NVIDIA wrong :p

vampireuk

Mr. Super Clever
H3ad5h0tter said:
How do you come to this opinion ? Since 4.4 , the drivers are very nice :p

With every driver release comes a new problem, they are too busy trying to cram new features in they hardly even bother with bug fixing. The latest gamma hotfix takes a problem and makes it even worse. There has been a gamma problem in the catalyst drivers since 3.10 with OGL that has still to be resolved despite numerous complaints. Then there is the issue with Instant messenger notifications causing graphic errors and flat out removing parts of maps until the notificated goes. Just yesterday I had to upgrade my drivers simply to get Battlefield 1942 working after I installed it, so now I'm stuck with the gamma problem until they see fit to bother fixing it. My next card is definately going to be a NVIDIA card.

OP
Xade

Xade

Irrelevant Insight
Hacktarux said:
And, on which base people are supposed to answer ??? Nothing is known about the next ATI chip afaik....

Past performance would be a start. I'm not really taking their future cards into account, it was just something worth noting.

We're talking general performance here.

-Shadow-

Banned
Then there is the issue with Instant messenger notifications causing graphic errors and flat out removing parts of maps until the notificated goes

Why do you bother of this ? It can be used as a nice wallhack (i've tried it out , it works nice ^_^) ! You can also put trillian off or turn the notifications off....

And a gamma problem ? Wheres a gamma problem ? If you don't have an ATI card , don't play "the expert" .... <-- OK , im dumb :p

Last edited:

Clements

I still prefer nVidia despite their hiccup that in DX9 the NV30 couldn't keep up with ATi. My card is compatible with all the current N64 plugins 100% so I'm happy! At least I know I can use glN64()'s framebuffer and Rice's Video plugin without any fuck-ups like I would have with a Radeon card. This matters to me more than frame rates.

I've had much experience with nVidia cards and their capabilities. My uncle has had a GeForce2 MX and a FX 5600, and I've had a GeForce4 MX and a FX 5600, all very reliable. I play emulated games much more than any PC game, and 70% of my PC games are 2D or very old (DX7 games or below), so shaders doesn't come into it, and yet I can still play games like UT2004 with max settings and additional filtering at 1280x1024 if I so wished. Most new PC games I hate, eg. "Generic 3rd person stealth shoot 'em up #35253" so I'd rather play Doom or Command and Conquer.

The 6800 U proves that nVidia learned from past mistakes and now ATi are the one's who are vulnerable. ATi's past is even worse than nVidia - their Rage Pro cards were utter shit, and they were second to NVIDIA for ages until the magic 9700 Pro was released that set ATi back on track, beating the GeForce4 Ti line. If it weren't for the 9700 Pro then they would still be second in the business.

Zis is my personal preference, like I prefer Galaxy chocolate over Cadbury chocolate so I would make that much a big deal about it.

NeTo

Emu_64 HiP Coder
H3ad5h0tter said:
If you don't have an ATI card , don't play "the expert" ....
*tsk* Check vampireuk's profile...

I will vote for nVidia, since unluckily, nVidia is what you can find most here at the south of the world. Just a few months ago the first radeons started to appear major stores, but unfortunately the prices are way too high. nVidia has the lead here, being good or not.

Last edited:

-Shadow-

Banned
At least I know I can use glN64()'s framebuffer and Rice's Video plugin without any fuck-ups like I would have with a Radeon card.

There are no more Fuck-Ups with Rice's on a radeon so far , but gln64 : *sigh* , no comment :p

My old GF4Ti had the same fuck-ups like my new Radeon , too , actually it doesn't seem to matter what card you are using...

Last edited:

sir_key

Banned
the 9800 series continued to be defend the new achieved ati crown against nvidia's fx's (are we still talking about gfx cards?)

-Shadow-

Banned
Ok , ok , i shut up :p

I think Rice will fix these fuck-ups on radeon cards , he has a Radeon himself (and his old geforce , too) so he can test it , if something gets wrong .

blizz

Clements said:
Zis is my personal preference, like I prefer Galaxy chocolate over Cadbury chocolate so I would make that much a big deal about it.

I prefer Galaxy too :D

vampireuk

Mr. Super Clever
H3ad5h0tter said:
Why do you bother of this ? It can be used as a nice wallhack (i've tried it out , it works nice ^_^) ! You can also put trillian off or turn the notifications off....

And a gamma problem ? Wheres a gamma problem ? If you don't have an ATI card , don't play "the expert" .... <-- OK , im dumb :p

Yes it can be used as a wallhack, nice to know you cheat in multiplayer games. And yes if you turn off the notifications then it does not happen. That however is beside the point, it is still a issue with ATI drivers that needs to be resolved. The gamma issue in OGL is experienced by A LOT of ATI users, the gamma settings do not save and change periddically. I'm speaking as a user of a ATI card too, which is why I said my next card will be NVIDIA :bunny:

vampireuk

Mr. Super Clever
hybrid23 said:
the 9800 series continued to be defend the new achieved ati crown against nvidia's fx's (are we still talking about gfx cards?)

Well yeah....if you ignore the 6800 :rolleyes: