What's new

SDL sound plugin 1.2 released

JttL

At the moment I'm at the army so development of the plugin has been quiet slow but today I found some time to finalize some changes and new features.

Here's what's new:
+Added possibility to swap channels
+Some more optimizations
+Calling RomOpen() is not required anymore. Plugin should now follow Zilmar's specs.
+Added test functions.
+Added support for config file.

And here it is:
http://www.porofarmi.net/jttl_sound-1.2.tar.gz

And I also still like to get some feedback, good and bad. Also bugrepors are welcome. Post feedback and bugreports to this thread or send me email to juha at porofarmi dot net.

txOjO

MDKEiToR
rules!

New plugin, is already best option on my PC, but don't understand
buffers etc.
The sound in my PC(alsa 1+audigy) is more accurate and posibly more compatible and clean than other versions tried.
Only in some games , the sound take me some serious "lag's" and reduces considerably performance, but only say "some games".

You have been congratulated again, and make this project up one step ¡Good
Work jttl!

phek

This plugin seems to crash mupen64. Version 1.1.1 runs fine, but when loading the 1.2 plugin, it crashes with the following error:
(II) Initializing SDL audio subsystem...
(EE) Couldn't open audio: Fragment size must be a power of two
Xlib: unexpected async reply (sequence 0x3883)!

I'm currently running the 2.6.4 kernel with the snd-emu10k1 driver for my SB Live card. I havent modified the jttl_audio.conf file from the default.

Martin

Administrator
Sorry I didn't notice this release JttL, I would have posted it at the frontpage. :(

Good job though, I'll try to keep my eyes open for the next release. :)

OP
J

JttL

phek said:
This plugin seems to crash mupen64. Version 1.1.1 runs fine, but when loading the 1.2 plugin, it crashes with the following error:

This error is caused by incorrect secondary buffer size. It has to be in power of two. My mistake in documentation, but if you haven't changed anything in .conf file everything should be fine and default values should take place.

So I'll take a look at the problem and release new version as soon as I have fixed this bug.

ryanraab

Will there be a windows release (nonlinux) these drivers seem good and you seem to be that best sound expect now.

ciruZ

ryanraab said:
Will there be a windows release (nonlinux) these drivers seem good and you seem to be that best sound expect now.
You can try to compile it under windows, it uses SDL so it should be no problem.

OP
J

JttL

ryanraab said:

I haven't seen necesarry to port it for windows as there is such many audio plugins for Windows allready. But we'll see if I come up with windows binaries someday soon.

nighmi

Xlib: unexpected async reply (sequence 0x3883)!

I have the same problem, but with a Via On Board sound card and kernel 2.6.5

ciruZ

nighmi said:
I have the same problem, but with a Via On Board sound card and kernel 2.6.5
You here? Well, you haven't read all posts, have you?
Look at JttLs post:
This error is caused by incorrect secondary buffer size. It has to be in power of two. My mistake in documentation, but if you haven't changed anything in .conf file everything should be fine and default values should take place.

So I'll take a look at the problem and release new version as soon as I have fixed this bug.
Just try changing your .conf file. Btw, are you sure your SDL has built correctly? Tested with another app / game? UT2k4 Demo doesn't count, it uses OpenAL for the sound ;).
You know, your hardware isn't supported well by the Kernel, so it can be a driver problem - usually, JttLs Plugin works if SDL works correctly and you haven't changed the settings.
[btw, have you built SDL with ALSA support? If yes, try it without ;)]

Last edited:

ciruZ

nighmi said:
Yes, me here ;)

but sometimes i think you can't read either... but yes i'll try what you said..
You have nowhere said that you haven't changed the config :p.
If you use the menu, thats changing the .conf file, too :p.

OP
J

JttL

If there is still a lots of problems with the new version, most of them are caused by very basic config file reading function. Easiest way to get plugin working is to remove the .conf -file as if the file is not found then default values take place and plugin should work just as earlier versions.