What's new

Query for folks who play Mario Golf

netloss

I've dug around these forums and looked for info on getting Mario Golf to run right. After a lot of runaround, and looking at posts from 2 years ago, I think it's best to just ask (and hope for no flames, though I know this has been covered somewhat):

What's generally accepted as the best emu, mod, and settings for Mario Golf? And -- is this "best" setting pretty good? All the stuff I tried had major flaws, ranging from complete blackout of the shot background to intense slowdown / stuttering.

If there's still no good solution, understood. I'm just flailing around here, and want to make sure I'm not missing the solution.

TIA!

-netloss

dazey238

Use 1964 with Jabo's Graphics 1.5, turn Self Rendered Textures on and also turn on Use Low Resolution Updates.

If you want the shot grid to display, use a Intel Celeron/P4 PC with an onboard Intel Graphics chipset (like the i845). GeForce cards don't display the grid in any graphics plugin for some reason.

I got the game to run at full speed with all features with this setup.

Last edited:
OP
N

netloss

Thanks for the tips!

I tried this but found that for whatever reason, everything under Video Settings/Rom Settings is grayed out -- including the "Self Rendered Textures" that you mentioned. Therefore I could not select that option.

Using Jabo 1.5 with Low Res Updates but *not* Self Rendered Textures (for the reason explained above), I did get a more acceptable experience than before. Things look mostly right but I get some slowdown and music choppiness, mainly when the picture-in-picture close-up of the ball appears after a shot. I did notice that when it started to "rain", the rain looked like an abstract pattern and I'm pretty sure that's not how it would be in the real game.

Does this match your experiences with the game, and have you any recommendations for enabling the "Self Rendered Textures" setting?

Thanks!!!

-netloss

OP
N

netloss

Thanks! You're right.

Apparently, Self Rendered Textures was already selected.

So, right now I seem to have a mostly-playable game with some problems, including:

* Slowdown and music choppiness, especially during "picture in picture" events but also when lining up shots (mainly music)
* Some graphic muddiness; it goes back and forth between nice and cruddy when lining up a shot
* Backgrounds that shouldn't move sometimes do
* Rain effects look more like psychedelia than rain
* Ball doesn't disappear when it falls in the cup
* Probably more

Does this match everyone else's experiences? Or are some people getting a game with no issues? Again, just trying to ensure that I'm getting the best available experience.

Thanks!

--netloss

Last edited:

Clements

Yep I get all those issues as well. Those slowdowns are caused by massive framebuffer usage that is used to render just about everything. Jabo's is currently the most accurate but it's framebuffer causes the frame rate to drop below 30fps. There is no way to increase the speed but having a better graphics card makes it a little better since fb is gfx card dependant.

The two plugins that are likely to get this game running fast in the future are glN64() and Glide64 since they use a faster fb technique than the others so there will be far less slowdown. Unluckily, Mario Golf has many random effects like the grid and the rain that are very hard to emulate properly as well. It's "sister title" Mario Tennis is in the same boat.

Legend

I've just recently been addicted to this game and BY FAR the most accurate is the next version of Glide64 that I've been testing. Rain, grid, everything is perfect. Sorry, i don't know if it works with evoodoo yet, but on the weakest of Voodoos (meaning it's not soo GFX card dependant), it works great. Maybe others cards will be able to use this plugin in the future if it ever gets ported or something because this next version blows everything else out of the water BY FAR, sooooo far. Gonetz is trully BRILLIANT. I'm not trying to rub it in here or anything, just getting more attention toward this not so publically known, yet the most advanced, accurate, fastest N64 plugin. You guys can always pop a cheap Voodoo 2 in your rig.

Legend

No, you can get evoodoo to use this plugin. There's a forum about it here at emutalk. Though it will never be nearly has accurate or fast as a real Voodoo

OP
N

netloss

OK, thanks, maybe I'll give this a try. (Unless others have tried and found it's too slow / not worth it?)