What's new

ARH! my new pc won't even BOOT UP! HELP!

Josep

eyerun4phun
I am NOT a newbie with putting pc's together and this seems to be a very big prob, for me anyway, got a KR7A-raid athlon xp, 256ddr ram 2400, 250 watt power supply, all that happens is the yellow light turns on when i turn the power supply on, then press the start up button and the red and green lights flicker once really quickly, and that is all, the fans do not turn on, the power supply does not turn on, and basically no sound from the motherboard that shows that it is on, please, any input would be good, i have gotten to the point of unplugging everything and trying it and still no luck, any input!!::cry:

DrGoggle

Yeah. It sounds like a screwy mobo. If it was just the drive or memory, the fan would at least spin, wouldn't it?

2fast4u

actually ... isn't the power supply too weak for an athlon? i thought u need a 300 watt supply, can anyone confirm this?

OP
Josep

Josep

eyerun4phun
yeah, i guess its just a crapped up motheboard, i really don't know what else to try, nothing on the board seems to show me it even works, the only thing is that yellow light that shows that it exists, no sounds, no fans, i dunno...

OP
Josep

Josep

eyerun4phun
hehe, only prob is my friend brought over his 500 watt power supply and still nothing...shit, i don't wanna rma this crap quite yet and have them smash 35 bucks in my face finding out it was fine, hehe, but seriously, i don't know

OP
Josep

Josep

eyerun4phun
what is required to be plugged in to just simply see if the motherboard and the fan, and all that stuff is functional??

Acorn

I killed a Athlon 1.4 this way...
Bad Power supply, everything would flash on for a moment then turn off. Left it on for 30 secs to see one time and had a nasty crackling noise.

Ok:

Check your grounding. Unscrew the motherboard, place it on a soft cloth surface outside the case, and plug it into the power supply. Take out EVERYthing, all the case plugs, the cards, even the memory. Leave only the CPU in and power it on. Make sure you have the jumpers set on the motherboard, and the CPU fan plugged in. If the fans spin up your good. If not, your power supply is likely bad. I wouldn't say the montherboard is (or was) bad, if the Power Supply's fan itself did not spin up.

Shorting out can cause both the motherboard and the power supply's fans to not activate, and is not deadly to either.

Whatever you do don't leave it sit with the power on :)

OP
Josep

Josep

eyerun4phun
ok what exactly would be shorting out? the wires from the power supply into the comp?? and say if i did what you tried, can't do it right now, but if i did, and the fans started spinning, then my motherboard is cool, then whats wrong with it??

OP
Josep

Josep

eyerun4phun
the motherboard says support from 1600 to 2100 for ddr ram, i got 2400, wouldn't the motherboard just underclock it automatically??:( don't know

Harteex

Harteex das Brot
When I have one of my harddrives in and start the computer, nothing happens. I have to press the reset button once and then... It works.
It's very weird... :alien:

flow``

flow``
same with my
when i plugged the boot/reset erm.. plugs into the mobo i think i put them in the wrong pins and so all my buttons are screwed

i have to hit power->reset for it to actually boot

strangeness

i would suggest checking the pinholes in your mobo manual and making sure you got them all in the right way

2fast4u

sorry, but i think intel cpus suck! they are expensive as hell and slower than the amds. i would never buy them (also coz i don't have the money to do so of course...). :cool:

RPGlover12

2fast4u said:
sorry, but i think intel cpus suck! they are expensive as hell and slower than the amds. i would never buy them (also coz i don't have the money to do so of course...). :cool:
well dont go for anything
go for athlon , intel or whatever u like i dont care just take care of what u buy

OP
Josep

Josep

eyerun4phun
anyway! back to my question! hehe, j/k, but no jaz, as i said in the beginning im' not a newbie and of course that isn't the prob, but thanks for the input. I just tried something a second ago, i unscrewed all the screws that hold the motherboard in place and started it up with literally nothing on the motherboard except for the processor, coolant system thingy, and ram, and under the ide slots a white flash of electricity came out from under it, no sounds, just very briefly, is that like a power shortage or something? anyone can tell me?