What's new

Console ports

lazerfisk

How about making a console port for the PlayStation 2? I don't know about the disc format or stuff, but it would be real sweet if i could play Twin Snakes on my PS2 ;) Would this be too hard to accomplish?

Thanks in advance :)

OP
L

lazerfisk

MurrMurr said:
No, this would be impossible. The PS2 does not have enough power to emulate a gamecube.

Sorry!
Hm. That kind of sucks. But still, if i could emulate an SNES on my 486 SX25, wouldn't it be possible to downscale it? Optimize the code. Remove cosmetic upgrades etc...? :)

Scha

uhmm.. no.. I'm probably wrong now but as i remember the snes had a clock fqz of about 6 mhz.. and if your 486 is 33 mhz thats a 5.5 times faster...
The ps2 and gc doesnt have that diffrent clock fqz, and the GC cpu's operations are more complex than the PS2's, and that makes it even harder...

cosmetic upgrades? the graphics (except for the emulated) doesnt take very long to process

Scha :D

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Purely impossible. The hardware is incompitable; hence, it needs to emulate the system. And as to think the ps2 does not have as good hardware as the gamecube only makes the matter worse.
I doubt it's possible to run any games at more than crawling framerates. If possible at all.

Clements

Only the developers of the game can make a port of the game since they have the source. Emulating a more powerful system on a weaker system that has a completely different architecture has no chance. Buy Twin Snakes + GC.

Villela

As far as i know there is Linux for Playstation ##edit## -> Playstation 2

If some Linux GC emu apears maybe it is possible to compile at Playstation 2, but only at interpreter mode, recompiler should need a new recompiler core

Anyway i don't think to some day see a GC comercial game runing at Playstation 2 because RAM memory issues, only homebrews and probably at really low speeds

It is only a theory, and i don't think someday someone will do it too, and i think this is the more easy way because i don't think someone will work on a specific GC emu for playstation 2

i think, i think, i think, ... it seens i don't know too much english words ;-)

Last edited:

bLAdEbLA

Insert clever rhetoric here.
Don't forget that a similarly clocked PowerPC chip FAR outperforms Intel and AMD equivalents if the right code is used...