What's new

N64 emulation on a Thinkpad T40

xuimod

Hi,

I'm going to buy an IBM Thinkpad T40 within a month or two. Has anybody here actually tried N64 emulation on a Thinkpad T40? If so, was the performance good?

Also, has anybody here done N64 emulation with an 32MB ATI Radeon 7500 (the card that's in the laptop)? I know its an old card but the PJ1964 website says any ATI Radeon card should be ok. But any personal experiences/comments about this card for N64 emulation would be greatly appreciated.

I can always get a thinkpad T40p with a better graphics card (among other things) in it but it also carries $600+ additional cost. A steep price IMO.

The specs of the T40 laptop I'll most likely get will be:

1.6ghz pentium-m
768mb ddr ram
32Mb ATI radeon 7500

Please tell me if this is going to okay for N64 emulation. Thanks.

sheik124

Emutalk Member
if you want to buy a laptop, its only worth it if it uses a nonmobile CPU (like the Inspiron XPS, yes the XPS went portable, or a similar laptop) and if it has a nVidia GoForceFX series (i think thats what they call them) or Mobility Radeon 9xxx series card IMHO, maybe even a mobile form of Geforce4 TI if that exists

4real

I use a Laptop for N64 and have no problems at all.

The spec is :-

iridium 1.3
128mb ram
sis onboard graphics and sound.

It plays games at full fps as well.

So i should say the laptop you want should be ok.

revl8er

That Damn Good
Looking at those specs, you shouldn't have too much of a problem with it. You might wanna look into getting one with a better gfx card though. Also make sure that the hard drive is big enough, at least 40gb. Other than that, that computer would be pretty good for emulation.

OP
X

xuimod

Does Project64 even need DirectX8 support?

Does PJ64 even use any features above DirectX 7 (for most/the most popular games)? I know the Radeon 7500 is fully Dx7 compatible and can also support most of Dx8 (sans Pixel Shaders, SmartShader and TrueForm).

So my question is "Is Pixel Shaders, SmartShader and TrueForm even used in n64 emulation?" If not, I should be okay going with a Radeon 7500 right? Please let me know, thanks.