What's new

noob help please

csmw

hey i just downloaded my first emulator and i dont know how to get them to play roms. I downloaded zelda ocarina of time and starfox 64 and am using nemu64 but cant get any to work. whats wrong?

OP
C

csmw

well my comp has 512 meg ram
nvidia geforce 5200 card
pentium 4 2.6 gig processer (is that enough?)

Trotterwatch

Yeah that's more than enough.

So what happens when you load a rom, any error messages?

You may also wish to check out PJ64 and 1964 as two alternative emulators to use (though Nemu 0.8 is an excellent emulator in it's own right).

OP
C

csmw

ive used corn 0.2. error message: "Access violation at address 77F52F2D in module 'ntdll.dll'. Write of address 0045DB31."
project64 error messsage: "attempt to open file failed"
this is all with starfox 64 btw

Trotterwatch

Forget about Corn :) What file format is the rom in? If it's in a .rar file then you need to unrar it (though you can .zip it if you want).

Martin

Administrator
You need to extract the ace file, no emulator supports ace compressed roms afaik.

Mr. Rage

csmw said:
hey i just downloaded my first emulator and i dont know how to get them to play roms. I downloaded zelda ocarina of time and starfox 64 and am using nemu64 but cant get any to work. whats wrong?

go to this forum thread, I put up some info that might be helpful, I'm new to this forum and you won't catch me on most because I usually don't like to post.
maby this will help -

http://www.emutalk.net/showthread.php?threadid=18737

read what I had to say and maby you can find some ideas and problems, there is a number of things to fix. Hope it helps :)

if you need video drivers for your nemu64, I can see if I can get you some, I think I have some of the latest and some audio drivers if you want for it as well.
I use jabo's d3d6 1.5 or 1.5.1 can't remmember, but I use it for nemu64 and I use an old nemu64.ini version 2.2.2, the version is found inside the ini file. If anyone knows where I can get an updated nemu64.ini, please post it here. Some ini files don't have the correct input to use vcode I think, if the input isn't setup correctly in the ini from what I understand after only being newb to the ini stuff then the games won't play right. I noticed great speed increase with 2.2.2 compared to the one that came with nemu64 v0.8, the ini that came with it was 0.0.1 beta for 0.8
a slow down in slow motion for castlevania 2 was noticed with a command called slowTLB=1 something like that, I deleted it and it's fine now. in 2.2.2 that command line wasn't in it.

Trotterwatch

go to this forum thread, I put up some info that might be helpful, I'm new to this forum and you won't catch me on most because I usually don't like to post.
maby this will help -

This persons problem was he was trying to run the file from an .ace compressed archive (which the emulator doesn't support).

Mr. Rage

Ok but, any idea where I can get new nemu64.ini files? Most links don't work. Looks like some updating needed for nemu64 site links as well :/, also, is there a jabo's d3d7? I have jabo's d3d6 1.5.1 and under either nemu64 or project64 it shows jabo's d3d7 and shows I don't have it. Where to get some of these new files?

Trotterwatch

To get Jabos D3D7 you need to download PJ64 1.4 (it's included and can not be distributed outside of the emulator). You can find this file in the downloads section of this website.

For the .ini file, I don't know if there are any decent updated ones... someone else will hopefully answer that for you later.

Mr. Rage

I'll put up my ini, here it is, this one is newer than the one that comes with nemu64 v0.8, the one that comes with it is 0.0.1, this one I have I found on a cd of mine that is version 2.2.2 and is more than 2 months newer than that of nemu64 v0.8 ini. It is faster I think but not all rom names are in this like version 0.0.1 and this has some that 0.0.1 doesn't have, combining can be a good thing.
Oh yeah, I have pj64 1.5, why doesn't his d3d7 come with it?!