What's new

File Acess Denied

sheik124

Emutalk Member
i am trying to delete a bunch of files in windows (my old UO installation) but i keep getting a Access Denied Error, even when i use the built in uninstaller i get the message, anyone have any ideas?

Eagle

aka Alshain
sheik124 said:
i am trying to delete a bunch of files in windows (my old UO installation) but i keep getting a Access Denied Error, even when i use the built in uninstaller i get the message, anyone have any ideas?

First, highlight all the files. Right click on them and click properties. Uncheck all the boxes, specifically read only and system but if your just gonna delete em, might as well remove all attributes. May need to do the same for the folders. Try to delete them then. If this doesnt work try to delete small groups of the files at a time (instead of all at once) and narrow it down to the few specific files that are denied (probably only one or two of them). Then try the attributes individually.

(Please excuse me if I treat you like a beginner and you arent, its hard to tell who has experience with computers)

Last edited:

jollyrancher

It's also possible that some of the files are in use, so hit ctrl-alt-del and end the tasks that relate to what you're trying to delete.

Eagle

aka Alshain
jollyrancher said:
It's also possible that some of the files are in use, so hit ctrl-alt-del and end the tasks that relate to what you're trying to delete.

Ah yes why didnt I think of that. An easy way to do it (seeing that your using XP) is the ctrl-alt-del and click the processes tab. Then click the column heading titled "User Name" to sort, and end all running tasks under your profile name except taskmgr.exe and explorer.exe. Then delete your files and reboot to restart your applications that need to be running (ie firewall, AV etc.)