What's new

Thinkin' about updating...yet again! (Important question!)

jessman1988

Banned
Yo! Most of you know the whole annoying ordeal of me updating from my old ProSavage to my better, but STILL not perfect GeForce 2 MX 400! Well, I've found the best card I can get from any store for about $128 and I need to know if it's the right card for n64 emulation. I can't remember the EXACT card name, but it's an Asylum card which clames to be better than the GeForce 5200! PLEASE let me know if this card is supported by Jaboo and the other plugins because I REALLY want a TV-OUT option (which didn't come with my GF) and ever since I updated my Graphics I don't want any resolution under 1280x960! I can't stand glitches anymore and I want to be ready for the new Gamecube emulator, Dolphin! The teaser actually plays Gamecube rips with no sound, slow speed, and GFX errors! It doesn't sound too good, but all in all it's farther than Dreamcast emulation will ever be! Thanks everyone, and PLEASE give me the word ASAP!

Clements

It would really help if you gave the proper name of the card, but if it is an Ati/nVidia that is faster than a 5200 then it will be fine for emulation, although whether it is a step up from your old card I don't know.

I went from an GeForce4 MX 440 to a FX 5600 and the difference is big. If I upgraded to a 5200 instead, the speed increase would be less because a 5200 is just an MX card with DX9 features - so a went for the FX 5600 which is more like a Ti4200 with DX9 features, and so is faster than any MX-type card.

riles9262

My dissident is here...
you need to go for an ati radeon 8500 or better (not 9000 or 9200 tho); or a nvidia gf4 4200 or better (that 5200 is such a pos - do not buy!!!). if you really want some longevity out of your graphics card you will have to spend some extra dough.

i would really suggest getting a radeon 9600pro/xt or better on the ati side. on the nvidia side, although clements suggests a 5600, i would bypass that generation of nvidia cards.

the best nvidia card for the money is either the 5700ultra or the 5900xt. just look at some reviews to confirm my info...the 4 cards i have suggested are not too expensive and perform very well for their price ranges...plus, you can turn up the antialiasing and anisotropic filtering with these cards (and the models that are better and more expensive).

good luck with the purchase and ps: DONT GET THE 5200! :)

rcgamer

the old guy
What is so wrong with the 5200. I have one and i have had no trouble running any game i have or any emulator. it may not have the highest level of pixel shaders available but it does support them. and I can do antialiasing and filtering. Plus the price is very reasonable. Not everyone wants to spend 2-300 bucks for a graphics card.

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Just go with a ti then. The early series of the FX-cards from nvidia were complete failures. If you want a good FX-card, you need to get one of the latest AFAIK.

rcgamer

the old guy
ive looked at some prices after seeing this thread and if you shop around you can indeed get a 5600 as clements said for not much more money than you are talking about (around 145-150).

riles9262

My dissident is here...
rcgamer said:
ive looked at some prices after seeing this thread and if you shop around you can indeed get a 5600 as clements said for not much more money than you are talking about (around 145-150).

but then you can get a powercolor radeon 9600pro for $146 at newegg.com and it will outperform a 5600 no problem. plus it is far stronger when antialiasing and anisotropic filtering are involved. i have this card and i can tell you that has very good performance for its price. plus, it overclocks very well. if you wanna go a little better the radeon 9600xt's are around 150-155 as well.

on the nvidia side, the 5700ultras are around 180 and the 5900xt's are about 190-195. for the prices tho, i would go for the 9600xt. i really recommend not getting a 5200 or 5600 (even the ultras), you can do much better.