What's new

Speed "trick" with windows xp

Vegetable

Banned
I found that when running dolphin on xp, you can speed the framerates up on games with windows task manager.
First, just open the dolphin window, don't load any games yet. Press ctrl+alt+delete, then click task manager. Go to the processes tab, and then right click on Dolphinteaser.exe and click on Set priority. And then click on above normal or high, but not realtime, because that can freeze windows. Now start a game that works, but not too smooth like bam3k! I found that with mkdd it ran at 11 fps instead of 6!

Last edited:

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
This can be done with any application, though. Just be careful because it might freeze the rest of your system if you're not careful. Usually, it is recommended that applications themselves handle the priority.

OP
Vegetable

Vegetable

Banned
Yes, I know, but I only do that when there aren't any other programs running.
Otherwise it really slows everything down, rendering the idea useless.

Jfletcher

I had tried doing that before with this Emulator, but it makes no difference to me framerate wise. For example, I still get 17-24 FPS ingame in Crazy Taxi with or without setting a higher priority.

xdaniel_FWB

Living RCP Hungup
for me it's the same as for Jfletcher - no difference in terms of FPS. And if it only affects 2D stuff like BAM or menus in other games it's a useless "trick" as these parts are already running kinda fullspeed even on my pretty old system...

NeTo

Emu_64 HiP Coder
Actually ram has not much to do with that. It's the cpu speed that counts. How many programs are working in the background makes a difference also when switching priorities. If you only have a few open processes that use almost no cpu, you'll notice nothing (unless you want to drain resorces from your mouse/keyboard :p)

If for example, your video card is the bottleneck, then a priority change won't help at all.

Mayco

like neto says, it won't do a thing when you have no real background-processes, so the best thing to do is just to close every program that you can close.

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Well, even if you do close all the programs, there's still at least 200 threads running in the background which can steal some cpu power. But they're mostly OS related and is running on idle priority, so they usually share whatever processing power that's left over.

NeTo

Emu_64 HiP Coder
And you can't change the priority of any system threads/processes. You could also start disabling services in XP, like the Index Server Service, but i don't think that wastes too many resorces either.

bLAdEbLA

Insert clever rhetoric here.
NeTo said:
Actually ram has not much to do with that. It's the cpu speed that counts. How many programs are working in the background makes a difference also when switching priorities. If you only have a few open processes that use almost no cpu, you'll notice nothing (unless you want to drain resorces from your mouse/keyboard :p)

If for example, your video card is the bottleneck, then a priority change won't help at all.

You've got me there. I just remembered there's a ram AND cpu usage count next to the running program, so I guess it depends on your system's specs.

jbguy2k

That guy with the hair
How about just overclocking your Video Card, it works for me, i had more that just 2.0 fps on MKDD, it went to 6 fps on my crappy ass computer and it was ingame.