What's new

What's the difference between processors?

gcnfan

What's so different between PC Intel and AMD processors, and GCN's PowerPC processor? Is there something different in the way it processes and executes information between the PC and GC, like in functioning?

Clements

Intel and AMD processors have the 32-Bit x86 architecture. The Gekko is a 64-Bit PowerPC processor. They have completely different architectures.

The PS2 has a 128-Bit processor which is also completely different to x86. XBox has a 32-Bit x86 processor so is similar to a PC processor.

bohdy

Clements said:
The Gekko is a 64-Bit PowerPC processor.

Its 32-bit actually (general purpose register wise); if FP math capability was counted for "bitness" then any Pentium for ages now would be considered 80-bit ;)

Of course, that is only one way to count bitness... the other is memory address range and last I heard Gekko was 48bit capable or so.

At least I think that's how it goes..

Last edited:

miikrr

The Gekko is a 485 MHz <B>32-bit integer/64-bit floating-point</b> CPU with 64KB L1 and 256KB L2 cache. My CPU (Athlon XP 2500+ OC'ed to 3200+) runs at 2205 MHz with 128KB L1 and 512KB L2 cache(double that of the Gekko, although not exactly double the speed/power).

bLAdEbLA

Insert clever rhetoric here.
miikrr said:
The Gekko is a 485 MHz <B>32-bit integer/64-bit floating-point</b> CPU with 64KB L1 and 256KB L2 cache. My CPU (Athlon XP 2500+ OC'ed to 3200+) runs at 2205 MHz with 128KB L1 and 512KB L2 cache(double that of the Gekko, although not exactly double the speed/power).

You lost me there....

bLAdEbLA

miikrr said:
The Gekko is a 485 MHz 32-bit integer/64-bit floating-point CPU, simply put.

... And the reason why a 400mhz Powerpc (namely in an apple) outperforms a 1ghz intel/amd equivalent would be....?

esoteric

Heres Why...

my first post HI ALL :)

ok the reason it does is several reasons
1.NOTHING but the games are runing on your gamecube
2.games are optimized to MATCH the system specs of a gamecube
3.Developers OPTIMIZE games for consoles

PLUS it floats from 32bit/64bit so they are optimized for the bittage so it only needs to operate at say 3/4-1/2 the processor speed

***NOTE: 2 and 3 are similiar but they are not the same AND 3 is only WHAT I heard from someone else***

i HOPE this answers your question

Last edited:

bLAdEbLA

Yes that's all fine-and-dandy... however, I cited an APPLE as the example. It's strange how even after running that hefty MacOS, the powerpc in an Apple outperforms a pc substantially.

miikrr

I depends on the processor your using in your PC. The AMD Athlon ZP 3200+ (2.2 GHz) is about as equal as the Pentium4 3.2 GHz, with both performing better in a certain task than the other.