What's new

GameCube Linux

jezz

First off, awesome job on the emulator. It seriously made my day.

This is in no way a request for this because likely no one will actually use Linux on GameCube, but I thought I may as well say...

GameCube Linux (Alpha) does not work as of now on the Dolphin Emulator.

(Good job with the +/- PPC Emulation of the Cube, but I will highly suggest translating it to C... what can I say, I'm a *nix junkie and I'd like to see the GCN on Linux :) In all seriousness, I don't mean that as an offensive comment. I'm just a bit old C fan. Your new-fangled .Net app is cool too).

Reference:
Actual Site: http://www.gc-linux.org/
Slashdot Article: http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=...d=106&tid=127&tid=137&tid=185&tid=186&tid=213
:emutalk:

Edit Minor Incidental: Bust-A-Move 3000 and Crazy Taxi (14 fps) work effectively flawlessly on my specs.

Last edited:

bohdy

Lol, Dolphin certainly doesn't use .net! Its C++.

And the main problem with the linux port is that there is very little (to none) DirectX support. Maybe if there was an opengl gfx plugin and the source was released someone could port it.

slicky

well i can verify that now. Dolphin doesn't use .NET, not even remotely!
And as masterful and powerful .NET is, so far its just even less than a bad mock-up. The real power will only be unleashed once its integrated from ground up in the new longhorn. As for all the frameworks floating around so far, from mono to MS Net they results all in a bit of speed losses. Although nothing to worry about, but you certainly have to once you disregard the new optimizing and coding techniques required in order to keep speed loss to a minimum. And one thing that won't go away is the extended use of memory, though in two years the common-standart would be at least 1GB and so the memory -overhead won't matter so much anymore.
For those interested what entails this extended memory use take a look at the mark and sweep GC (garbage collector) algorithm.

BTW: worth mentioning: withhin longhorn the memory footprint will significantly decrease nonetheless.

2fast4u

jezz said:
This is in no way a request for this because likely no one will actually use Linux on GameCube

dont bet your shoes on it, there could be some interesting possibilites in the end :) then again i suppose running linux emulated for gc on the pc makes a little less practical sense ;)

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
bohdy said:
Lol, Dolphin certainly doesn't use .net! Its C++.

And the main problem with the linux port is that there is very little (to none) DirectX support. Maybe if there was an opengl gfx plugin and the source was released someone could port it.
There is c++ .net mind you. It's still c++ but on the .net platform.