What's new

The Shrink Tool compatibility

peyayo

Enter here the comments of the shrink tools for getting smaller GMC games in our HDD. I wanna create a "compatibility list" for the shrunkable games. I hope your help.

Crazy Taxi PAL = OK.
Animal Crossing USA = OK.
Ikaruga PAL = OK.
18 Wheeler PAL = BAD, I get green lines in videos that was not shown in the original.
Wario World USA = BAD, it's unbootable.

yogiman

Banned
Bust A Move 3000 (U) = OK
Nintendo Puzzle Colection (J)= OK
Cubivore (U)= OK
Pokemon Colloseum (j) = OK
Capcom vs SNK 2 (u) = OK

ZDragon

Ikaruga (GIKP) = OK
Mario Party 4 (GMPE) = OK (at least it's the same as before - you can see the Nintendo logo and then everything stops)
Zelda: The Windwaker (GZLE) = OK

tonyrayo

I Love Sushi!
Just a quick note just to clear it up, 18 Wheeler IS still fully playable after shrinking.

Also Naruto 1/2 both were fine, as was Megaman (although you cannot get far). Animal Crossing acts the same, but I can't get it running so I wouldn't be able to say anything for sure.

Last edited:

Clements

There is a good alternative to the shrink tool (esp. for games that have problems with it) and that is to use NTFS compression. Bust-a-Move 3000 goes from 1.35GB to just 79MB, and all the data is preserved, unlike the shrink tool, so you don't have to make a back-up, and it works perfectly with the emulator of course.

Talas

Son of the Sky
Ahm, could you explain to me where I can get that NTFS Compression and how I can use it?

Clements

Right click the file, and click properties. In this menu click 'Advanced'. In this menu, select 'Compress contents to save disk space'. The file text will turn blue to show that it is compressed.

Compatibility: Works on NTFS partitions only (not FAT/FAT32) on Windows 2000/XP Home + Pro.

Evrain

The Forbidden One
WinRAR too works like a charm: you just have to be patient and select the Best compression method. It cuts some games' size by far mroe than half.
Evrain

ZDragon

Nicde idea, Clements!
Evrain, but your idea won't work for "normal" usage of the GCMs.

The NTFS compression is different from the rar/zip/ace/whatalltheirnamesare compression method. NTFS leaves the filename exactly as it is and only decompresses the parts of the file you need while opening that specific parts. So you will still have a .gcm in your directory, but it'll be much smaller. You can emulate it without having to extract it again then, unlike in WinRAR.

Whobetta

If I want to use NTFS do i have to reformat my computer again if its already using FAT32 for Windows XP? How long does it take to load the gcm using this compression, is it slower? I heard NTFS is slower and only good to use when you want a more secure system and files in Windows..

Clements

You don't have to reformat, you can use a utility in Windows XP to upgrade to NTFS. (Although it is better to do a fresh install with NTFS). Type NTFS in Windows Help for the tool.

NTFS is much better than FAT32. I've used both, and NTFS isn't that much slower than FAT32 (average user will not notice any difference) and with NTFS you can compress your entire hard drive in one click if you want, and the files remain as they are, only much smaller.

Also, NTFS rarely gets any fragments at all so Disk Defrag is not a chore. You can also encrypt you data if you use 2000/XP Pro (not home) although this is pretty useless.

ZDragon

...and the best part about everything: You will NEVER have to run any DiscDoctor when your computer goes down.

Stezo2k

S-2K
Mario Kart Double Dash (E) - Works
Bust a Move 3000 (U) - Works

both work flawlessly when they have been shrinked

Talas

Son of the Sky
Hm... I just tried the unshrunk Zelda and it worked, at least I tried it till the "Memory Card Missing". I then shrunk it and now I only get the "Nintendo" Logo at the beginning and thats it. Anyone have any ideas?