ze of coins
January 31st, 2004, 09:34
It's possible?
Not to now, but in a near future :P ?

dosmaen
January 31st, 2004, 09:35
It's possible?
It would probably run slower then it does now without a memory mod, or a mhz mod :p

CpU MasteR
January 31st, 2004, 09:37
Absoultley not.

Why?

Legal Reasons; Nintendo will be ****** that their only selling console is running on another platform for free. Sueing the authors (Of both the port and maybe the main authors which have nothing to do with the port,) and possibly going after other sources such as emu sites and possibly crack down on the GC game ripping.

Is it worth it?

ze of coins
January 31st, 2004, 09:40
It would probably run slower then it does now without a memory mod, or a mhz mod :p

yeah you have sure..
but that emu is on first, near stages (i think)

maybe in 2005 or more isnt run pretty good on slower machines?
or a optimization of dolphin to x?

a have just a dream to play re series on my x :(

piccolo17486
January 31st, 2004, 11:55
hmm i think it will never run on the Xbox (and i also hope so)
a 700Mhz CPU cant emulate a 500mhz cpu at full speed, also the PPC is totally diffrent from the x86...
you cant improve so much that this gets playable.
Just buy a cube, it isnt expensive

ZDragon
January 31st, 2004, 12:08
Piccolo is completely right. Dolphin will NEVER run at full speed with less than 3 GHz.

bLAdEbLA
January 31st, 2004, 12:33
Piccolo is completely right. Dolphin will NEVER run at full speed with less than 3 GHz.

Yup I'll agree with this. For novelty value, of running a next-gen console within another next-gen console it might be cool, but Gamecubes are only $112 AUD (That should equal about 60 USD) so why not go out, grab one and support the guys who made this all possible. And besides there's nothing in the way of console gaming more satisfying than having a game's box, manual, and cute lil' mini-dvd.

Personally, I would love to see dolphin progress the way it has been. I'm absoloutely astounded at the progress it has made so far, and I think the authors should set up a paypal or likewise account for donations, to keep this going. There's nothing more exciting than an EMU scene which grows at such a monumental speed because of the support of the community. Anyway I've had my rant. :D

bohdy
January 31st, 2004, 14:30
Since the Gekko is (debatably) faster than the Xbox cpu right off the bat it couldn't run as well even if it wasn't emulated.

tonyrayo
January 31st, 2004, 15:08
A problem with the xbox, besides the lack of proccessor speed and memory, is that it isn't setup like a normal pc. It has been optimized to run xbox games. There is a lot of emulator out there for xbox, but seeing Gamecube running full speed would require an AMAZING amount of optimized coding, and short of programmers from Nintendo and Microsoft getting together to do do, it's not going to happen (and I wonder if even they could make it happen). However, you may see Gamecube emulation on the XBOX 2, so keep a look out =).

Hexidecimal
January 31st, 2004, 15:30
Buy I gamecube, i traded in my XBOX for one last night, best decision I've made since which flashcart to buy.

dosmaen
January 31st, 2004, 16:37
Have you ever thought, "Hey, I wonder what it would be like playing Gamecube games on the XBOX?" I have bought a gamecube and 2 games with my own money,(the rest of my games I got for christmas, which was alot!). I'm only interested in gamecube emulation because people said it could not be done and it is so quickly emulated by a group of geniuses. That's what got me into emulation in the first place. I wondered what a gameboy game would be like on the computer, I heard from a freind that it was possible to emulate the games.(To tell you the truth though, I downloaded pokemon gold to play it before anyone else, and to prove it actually exists to these idiots at school. :p). Now, I would be happy if there was just a homebrew emulator, say dolwin, that could be emulated, just to be able to say, "HAHAH, you're wrong. Gamecube can be emulated on xbox." Hell, If you could get homebrews of gamecube running as slow as they do in dolwin on dreamcast that would be even better.

Wow, that was my longest post so far and stuff. :bouncy:

Fgoaty
February 1st, 2004, 16:16
You may not want it to happen, but it most probrably will. the xbox isnt going to have to "fully" emulate the gamecube remember, this emulator uses HLE anyway. and the xbox doesnt have a system intensive Operating system which eats up its speed such as windows. and also if its in demand, nobody is going to give a crap about nintendo and court cases, who are they gonna sue if the author is annonymous for the xbox version? Microsoft?? somehow i dont think so.

ZDragon
February 1st, 2004, 16:22
Nope. Try Dolphin on an 2 GHz CPU with Hyperthreading on a completely new and clean Windows 2000 installation (aside from the graphic drivers). IT WON'T RUN SMOOTH. Never will. At least not games like Zelda. Okay, you could emulate Bust-A-Move... *shrugs*

Fgoaty
February 1st, 2004, 16:36
Nope. Try Dolphin on an 2 GHz CPU with Hyperthreading on a completely new and clean Windows 2000 installation (aside from the graphic drivers). IT WON'T RUN SMOOTH. Never will. At least not games like Zelda. Okay, you could emulate Bust-A-Move... *shrugs*

this is a teaser version, of course it wont run smooth, you think ultrahle ran smooth on its first release??? windows 2000 still takes up a ****load of resourses anyway im just saying the xbox will be able to run it, it can run n64 emulators nicely, even though some games need a Beast of a computer to run on it, the xbox pulls it off.

bohdy
February 1st, 2004, 16:41
you think ultrahle ran smooth on its first release???

Is that a joke? :D

And Dolphin uses almost no HLE fyi.

Fgoaty
February 1st, 2004, 16:47
Is that a joke? :D

And Dolphin uses almost no HLE fyi.

yes, its a joke....

how in bejeebus can that be a joke?
If you think ultrahle is crap you must have some sort of mental disorder, ulrahle pretty much revolutionised the emulation scene and if you think i shouldnt compare Ultrahle with Dolphin you must be seriously mistaken. If dolphin uses no hle whatsoever then i will put my case to rest.
because jesus's UBERcomputer couldnt run this emulator.

ZDragon
February 1st, 2004, 16:52
Well, okay, let's hope Dolphin becomes that good.

Because even on my specs, it would run faster than an XBox then. So in fact, smoother than the Gamecube... because no matter what you say, my comp IS faster than the XBox.

Fgoaty
February 1st, 2004, 17:00
your specs may be better yes, but windows is a serious memory hog, the xbox is free from all this. try to explain to me why there are no amazing looking games for the pc? yet the xbox has loads of games with graphical techniques i have never seen on the pc? why?? because the xbox is more capable... thats why.

ZDragon
February 1st, 2004, 17:19
*bursts in laugher*

Hey, really, what graphical techniques have you seen on XBox that a PC is not capable of? Can you name them? Or even *describe* them?

ROFLMAO

Fgoaty
February 1st, 2004, 17:38
*bursts in laugher*

Hey, really, what graphical techniques have you seen on XBox that a PC is not capable of? Can you name them? Or even *describe* them?

ROFLMAO

looking at xbox games, they use pixel shading, dinamic lighting, some bump mapping, anti aliasing, all at the same time to give a realistic feel the the game, steel battalion for instance has some incredible blurring effects when explosions go off and it looks simply stunning, nothing on the pc looks anywhere near that good. name a game that uses even half of those techniques? and dont say doom 3 because that hasnt even been released.

Here is an interesting dilemma: How much video bandwidth does an Xbox need to play Halo on your TV vs. on a PC??

PC: 60fps x 1024 x 768 x 32-bit color = 180 MBps
Xbox: 30fps x 640 x 480 x 16-bit color = 18 MBps

The PC needs to generate 10 times as much video data as a console just to properly drive the display.

so stop using your nintendo fanboy tactics to block out the fact from your feeble little mind, it will run on xbox no problemo.

if you think your so clever have a read of this underneath. this will wipe that naive smirk off your face.

http://www.theblowhole.com/xbox/xboxvspc.html

Fgoaty
February 1st, 2004, 17:41
and might i add.................................

So why does a two-year-old console architecture like the Xbox, sold for 200 bucks in KB Toys, kick a modern PC's butt for gaming?

1. The PC starts off with a huge bandwidth disadvantage because of the demands of its display technology.
2. The Xbox has an incredibly powerful video architecture.
3. The Xbox CPU is not burdened with the baggage of running a giant memory and CPU consuming OS.
4. Every Xbox comes with a great standard video chip, but most consumer PC's are sold with a crippled video chip, which drags down the whole PC game market.
5. A shared memory architecture between the CPU and GPU lets both processors help with graphics' performance, while even the fastest AGP bus on the PC is a bottleneck.

The next time somebody tells you an Xbox is just a chopped-down PC, show them these words! They couldn't be more wrong!"

Source: CPU - Computer Power User - Alex St. John - February 2003.

bohdy
February 1st, 2004, 17:42
This guy is a hoot. :D

Fgoaty
February 1st, 2004, 17:43
This guy is a hoot. :D

thanks, i love it when i prove myself right and i end up with silly comments.

:D

sytaylor
February 1st, 2004, 18:01
and might i add.................................

So why does a two-year-old console architecture like the Xbox, sold for 200 bucks in KB Toys, kick a modern PC's butt for gaming?

1. The PC starts off with a huge bandwidth disadvantage because of the demands of its display technology.
3. The Xbox CPU is not burdened with the baggage of running a giant memory and CPU consuming OS.
4. Every Xbox comes with a great standard video chip, but most consumer PC's are sold with a crippled video chip, which drags down the whole PC game market.
5. A shared memory architecture between the CPU and GPU lets both processors help with graphics' performance, while even the fastest AGP bus on the PC is a bottleneck.

The next time somebody tells you an Xbox is just a chopped-down PC, show them these words! They couldn't be more wrong!"

Source: CPU - Computer Power User - Alex St. John - February 2003.

1) buy a tv out capeable video card and go enjoy blur vision then :P
2) but a Radeon 9800XT running on an nforce 3 doesn't?! PAH!
3) Where'd you get that? It runs a cut down windows.. but lets do some maths, for a gaming machine the minimum anyone should have is 512mb of ram, and you could load a few heavy background programs to take account of their n00bishness, and you've still got far mroe free ram than the XBOX, never mind the ~128mb video mem.
4) Thats why games come with options and sliders.. try maxing out a few pc games and doing comparisons
5) A bottleneck that can still out perform the xbox at anything graphically..

BOOYA

Tweakster
February 1st, 2004, 18:01
thanks, i love it when i prove myself right and i end up with silly comments.

:D
yeah right are u for real or just a little bit behind in technical terms first of alllmost every game that is produced now days for the pc plattform uses every dx8-9 abillety and second why is it that allmost every game relleased for the xbox later coverted to the pc allways looks bettre higher rez textures bettre resolution etc is it cuz the xbox great advantage in hardware...well i think not allso there are a couple of games that is going to be relleased for the xbox that will be scaled down to be able to cope with the low specs of the machine, i will only name a few doom 3 farcry btw take a look at farcry and tell me what graphical effects that are missing if u compare it to some of the bettre titles on the i have been ripped of by microsoft g**box get some flech on your legs before u open your mouth in the future allso i would like to see the xbox run if it would be possible a couple of tests with the latest installment of 3dmark lmao

sytaylor
February 1st, 2004, 18:03
My god tweakster. I beg thee to use some punctuation, or at least seperate out sentances with a few lines breaks here and there. I can't read that post without going crosseyed!

Fgoaty
February 1st, 2004, 18:06
That is the most childish statement i have ever heard.
thank-you for the enlightenment into "Doofus Vision"
what you just told me has nothing to back you up,

read that, it explains perfectly what im trying to say, and the statements are taken from a guy who runs a technical website for pcs,

may be if you grow up, stop saying BOOYAA? and open your eyes, you can actually see your talking bull****.

and about the porting question, hardly any decent games have been ported to pc besides halo, but thats a first generation xbox game which hardly utiliesed the xbox. halo looks like zelda the wind waker compared to steel battalion or halo 2.

far cry doesnt even use bump mapping let alone pixel shading,? so what are you talking about?
well from the looks of this:-

http://www.farcry-thegame.com/ss/image21.jpg

it looks terrible.
compared to this:-

http://www.game-revolution.com/previews/screens/xbox/halo_2/halo_21b.jpg

http://www.game-revolution.com/previews/screens/xbox/halo_2/halo_24b.jpg

HOW IN HELL CAN YOU BEAT THIS???

http://www.gaudenbat.com/pictures/SentIn/images/halo%202.jpg

----------------------------------

and we're talking about emulation here not super games....
im just saying it will be able to run Dolphin, i mean you have to agree?

Tweakster
February 1st, 2004, 18:28
That is the most childish statement i have ever heard.
thank-you for the enlightenment into "Doofus Vision"
what you just told me has nothing to back you up,

We will just have to see about the emulation but the fact remains yet that u still comared the specs of a pc to the xbox and the xbox just hasent got the same workload as the pc in terms of textures resolution etc and no if it takes a kick ass ps system to emulate the gamecube i think that the xbox will have a damn hard time but maby with some really good optz we will wait and see...

ZDragon
February 1st, 2004, 18:32
The Far Cry Demo already looks better than any XBox game. Blargh. If you haven't played it yet, you also can't judge the game.

Fgoaty, let's just make this clear:

1.) If you just want to play with your PC, an console may be a better choice. I do absolutely EVERYTHING with my comp. So the talk about the costs of a PC vs. XBox are completely off-topic. So we are talking about HIGH-END PCs here. High-End PC vs. High-End console. Even if the XBox is two years old, if M$ doesn't release a new one, it is high-end, don't you agree?
2.) A PC can *also* run on the XBox resolution... ever heard of the mighty thing called "Video out"? Hearing you talk like that, I suppose not.
3.) See, a PC can handle such high resolutions. And XBox doesn't have to in the first place, but if you really mean to imply that a TV screen looks as good as an PC screen, you are a complete moron.
4.) "It will be able to run Dolphin" - maybe it will, and maybe even smoothly. But never faster than on an PC. If you didn't know, the XBox actually uses a modified Win 2k-Kernel and a not too different system from the PC.
5.) You are trying to emulate a console of the same generation. I don't want to throw up the topic "What is the best console on planet?", but it's not probable that the XBox is more than two times faster than the Gamecube, right? And I know absolutely NO emulator that can emulate a system at full speed only with a system that is two times faster. Especially if it's using a completely different CPU architecture.

Again, it may not be impossible, but it would need a real masterpiece of code to do that.
6.) Can you tell me why games like UT2003 don't run too much faster on Linux, if at all? I hope you don't want to say that Linux is full of trash as Windows... I mean *laughs* you would be an unimaginable dumba$$.

Fgoaty
February 1st, 2004, 18:33
We will just have to see about the emulation but the fact remains yet that u still comared the specs of a pc to the xbox and the xbox just hasent got the same workload as the pc in terms of textures resolution etc and no if it takes a kick ass ps system to emulate the gamecube i think that the xbox will have a damn hard time but maby with some really good optz we will wait and see...

at last, a decent answer
but one thing to remember you say about having more workload in the ways of resolution and texture, the xbox is stuck on 640x480 because thats the maximum a tv can output, and personally tv's make things look better most of the time anyway playing any emulator on a monitor is too crisp and using a tv will smooth it out (less jaggies ect) so we will have to wait and see.

heh, the linux thing, programmers dont give a **** about linux, it has a lower user end than windows, waaaaaay lower infact why would they care if a few people complain about how slow their linux version runs.

bohdy
February 1st, 2004, 18:37
You are the one being childish Fgoaty, and also (funnily enough) the one talking bull****. staylor is correct on every point he rebuked you with.

Also most PC games of the last 6 months have been using at least Xbox level pixel shaders. You seem to be excited by Motion Blur?? Ps1 was capable of that.

And Farcry does use bump-mapping afaik. The dev's did make a big deal of their polybump technology afterall.

The PC needs to generate 10 times as much video data as a console just to properly drive the display.

But who would have thunk it, the image quality is also 10 times better. Not to mention modern graphics cards have a much higher fillrate than the Xbox gpu.

And I (severely) doubt that any overhead Windows may have amounts to the difference between a pIII 733 and a P4 3.2gh + ht, not to mention the architectural improvements between the two cpu's.

And yes Dolphin could run on an Xbox but it won't run faster than any decent PC, if it was ported at all. Afaik homebrew development on Xbox hasn't even figured out how to use the gpu properly. Ector and F|res could sus it out because they are so obviously skilled, but I doubt that they would bother because it would never run very fast.

And as for you: You are a hoot because you argue about nonsense which you have little understanding of and use one sided comparisons from people smarter than you to back up your ignorant claims.

... I think that I have said enough...

Tweakster
February 1st, 2004, 18:37
far cry doesnt even use bump mapping let alone pixel shading,? so what are you talking about?

Real time editing, bump mapping, static lights, network system, integrated physics system, shaders, shadows and a dynamic music system are just some of the state of-the-art features the CryENGINE™ offers.

Shaders: A script system used to combine textures in different ways to produce visual effects. Supports real time per-pixel lighting, bumpy reflections, refractions, volumetric glow effects, animated textures, transparent computer displays, windows, bullet holes, and shinny surfaces.

Terrain: Uses an advanced heightmap system and polygon reduction to create massive, realistic environments. The view distance can be up to 2km when converted from game units

Lighting and Shadows: A combination of precalculated, real time shadows, stencil shadows and lightmaps to produce a dynamic environment. Includes high-resolution, correct perspective, and volumetric smooth-shadow implementations for dramatic and realistic indoor shadowing. Supports advanced particles technology and any kind of volumetric lighting effects on particles.

Clements
February 1st, 2004, 18:39
Dolphin on XBox!!? Don't make me laugh, XBox barely has the specs of a mid-range PC, it's processor is basically a Celeron/PIII hybrid thing at 733MHz, it can barely run a 93MHz N64 emulator, let alone a 485MHz 64-Bit PowerPC processor. The graphics in XBox are also below spec, they do not have all the DX9 features.

Just buy a GC, unless running games @ sub-10fps on a £1000+ PC is your bag.

ZDragon
February 1st, 2004, 18:50
"heh, the linux thing, programmers dont give a **** about linux, it has a lower user end than windows, waaaaaay lower infact why would they care if a few people complain about how slow their linux version runs."

Now you'd only have to say that OpenGL is complete **** compared to DirectX and you are not just A dumba$$, but the biggest one of the whole world.

Time to wake up, man!

piccolo17486
February 1st, 2004, 18:55
i still remain with my opinion, the xbox cant emulate the Gamecube at any playable state (commercial games)..
Xbox = Celeron 733, 64 MB RAM, Geforce 3 MX (not the best card anymore)
Gamecube = PowerPC CPU 486 MHz, 40 MB of total RAM, strange graphic :D
so the xbox is about 250Mhz faster, but its a x86 machine... not a PPC, PPC are faster, and why isnt there any good PPC emu yet, because its damn hard to emulate such a system at a good speed yet. You need at the moment atleast a 2ghz cpu, 256MB DDR Ram and a Directx 9 card to see a good picture on dolphin... how can you imagin that this is possible on a PC which is 3 times slower??? yes the XBOX is a PC... ok the system is much smaller but that doesnt change that the pc is still much more power full.
you said that the xbox is capable of running n64 on great speed and the pc with the same clock speed not, but that depends just on hardware, i can just put a pc together, with right hardware and it will be as good as on the x-box...
also the n64 is much much much slower than the x-box... the things why console games look sometimes better than pc games is (which isnt really true anyway) because those games were made for on hardware configuration, and pc games just have to be more flexible, just look at those graphic demos from ati or so... they look much better than any game, but just because they were mad for only one hardware.
and that halo2 looks better than farcry isnt true... you just say that because this green guy has a nice reflection armor... look at the backgrounds... nothing more than a nice charakter on this pic...
perhaps you can run some small homebrew on the xbox in sometime, but what fun if you are playing a slow pong version.......

ZDragon
February 1st, 2004, 20:25
And by the way, you have compared the best shot of Halo 2 with one of the (in my opinion) worst shots of Far Cry. Anyway, the scene you showed will look much better than anything on the XBox when you see it in motion... I am absolutely sure about that.

bLAdEbLA
February 1st, 2004, 23:45
Moderators, please lock this topic. These boards are about users getting together and enjoying what was created by some great people, not kiddies arguing Xbox vs. GC vs. PC vs. the world. :D

Lillymon
February 2nd, 2004, 02:05
OK, before this gets locked, I need to step in here and inject some sanity into this thread.

Eh? Let's see that comparison.

PC: 60fps x 1024 x 768 x 32-bit color = 180 MBps
Xbox: 30fps x 640 x 480 x 16-bit color = 18 MBps

OK well first off, the PC is doing twice as many frames, that doubles the strain for a start. Then the resolution is signifigantly higher, let's say that gives a 60% impact. Then it's doing twice the colour bittage, that doubles the strain again. Still looking so clean cut? There's also the issue that the PC port of Halo is badly coded in comparison to the Xbox version.

Bzzt! Wrong! The Xbox is about DirectX 7 spec really. My video card can handle DirectX 8.1 spec and the lastest can go right up to DirectX 9 spec. They're all a lot faster too. I can't really emphasize that last sentance enough.

It still has to handle large chunks of the Windows 2000 core. Admittedly, it's a quite a bit less, but the sheer speed on newer PCs more than makes up for this.

Wrong wrong wrong. A lot of consumer PCs come with fairly decent video cards which can outperform the Xbox.

Nope. Since the Xbox is a PC, it comes with the same AGP bus. Pretty fast, but once more out performed by garden-variety PCs. The GameCube and PlayStation 2 are different though. They might well use something like what you described. That could give them quite a speed boost.

All in all, no matter what you say, the Xbox still uses a Pentium III/Celeron hybrid running at a rather pathetic 700Mhz. To emulate that 485Mhz Gekko, CPU speed is crucial and the Xbox can't match up. Even if you tore out the existing graphics and integrated the latest ATI Radeon 9800XT (uber-powerful) it wouldn't make a blind bit of difference since the CPU it would be paired with is woefully underpowered. Couple it with a high-end ATI Athlon XP and you stand a chance. Which is exactly what I plan to do.

One last thing to leave people to think about. If the Xbox is so much more powerful than the PC, why does Caustik think he stands such a great chance of emulating it on a regular PC at full speed?

Viper_Viper
February 2nd, 2004, 02:10
well from the looks of this:-

http://www.farcry-thegame.com/ss/image21.jpg

it looks terrible.
compared to this:-

http://www.game-revolution.com/previews/screens/xbox/halo_2/halo_21b.jpg

http://www.game-revolution.com/previews/screens/xbox/halo_2/halo_24b.jpg

HOW IN HELL CAN YOU BEAT THIS???

http://www.gaudenbat.com/pictures/SentIn/images/halo%202.jpg

ok... looking at the pixture of farcry, that looks in-game, and the halo2 is a video. u cant compair them. And you cant compair Halo for xbox to Halo for pc because it was ported bad. Just drop it, dolphin wont run gamecube games on the xbox, though we would like it to

sleep_21
February 2nd, 2004, 02:39
OK, I do a little Xbox Dev'ing so let me separate the facts from the myths.

1. Hardware acceleration is possible in native Xbe executables. In linux, there aren't accelerated drivers.

2. Unless there is an unprecidented level of optimization to dolphin, a port to the xbox is a waste of time. (basically, you will NEVER play Wind Waker on the xbox at more than 2FPS)

3. Halo2's engine isn't dramatically better than the original. If you want to talk about awesome looking games, take a look at Doom3. John Carmack said he wouldn't port Doom3 to GC or PS2 because he's have to "dumb down" the engine and models too much. Far Cry probably will look better than Halo2, but it won't hold a candle to doom3 (xbox).

DarkKnight38
February 2nd, 2004, 03:11
even still, doom3 looks worlds better on the pc than the xbox.

crimson Fury
February 2nd, 2004, 05:36
http://www.8cupcakes.com/Zelda.wmv

a modded xbox emulating windwaker, the gcn disc is put in indent in the xbox trey and a normal xbox disc is put on top of it, the xbox starts up normaly and emulates windwaker.

bohdy
February 2nd, 2004, 05:58

a modded xbox emulating windwaker, the gcn disc is put in indent in the xbox trey and a normal xbox disc is put on top of it, the xbox starts up normaly and emulates windwaker.

ROFL really hard. Ooh my ribs.

Kid A
February 2nd, 2004, 06:05

ja ja ja, good joke. :D

sytaylor
February 2nd, 2004, 08:25
Fgoaty, i've been backed up on this with more sense than you can positivley rebuke. Your argument is essentially "some editorial dude says so, so it must be true". Try looking at the evidence for yourself and making your own decisions, then decide who is childish and resorting to insults.

bLAdEbLA
February 2nd, 2004, 10:09

I think this settles the topic once and for all. :stupid: :happy:

ZDragon
February 2nd, 2004, 13:44
And Far Cry does look *really* good. I do not want to talk any badly about D3 or HL², but it's engine is a great rival to both others.

About the Zelda video: LOL.

piccolo17486
February 2nd, 2004, 14:34
this video is the badest fake i ever seenn (ok ekaf, the ps2 emu was also great)
hehe they guy has uses still the gamecube controller for playing (yes i know there are adapters)

blight
February 2nd, 2004, 15:02
*lol* I didnt read the thread, just had to reply....
What do you think your xbox is??? It is weak, a kinda P3 733 - 3 years old

foogy
February 2nd, 2004, 15:20
could you put a newer pentium 3 prcessor thats faster in the xbox?

BFeely
February 2nd, 2004, 15:29
And you think you can just pop one of those GC discs into your XBox and expect it to read it? Those aren't DVDs you know.

Villela
February 2nd, 2004, 15:57
It's possible?
I don't know if at this time is possible or if it will be

But there is a chance: xbox+linux+winex+dolphin

I don't have winex and xbox, i can't say if this will work, but if at this time i believe it doesn't, but at the future maybe works

Anyway comercial games can never work for ram issues

Elly
February 2nd, 2004, 16:16
Ok,..point number 1:
To port Dolphin , you ll need its source ( and i dont believe ector or FIRES are interested in that right now). Assuming you got Dolphin to go open source, you ll need to use MS illegal SDK to port it on the Xbox,...in other words , it becomes READ: ILLEGAL

Point 2 :

For those who are argueing that HLE can do the trick, you have to take in mind that the whole Dolphin core should be re-written for HLE, in other words, a pain in the neck over a low compatible emulator

Point 3 :

Yet again, ASSUMING, that you can come up with an optimised HLE emulator ( not like HLE doesnt use optimisations ;p), it might not run full speed on a 700 Mhz processor.

Point 4 :

AND ASSUMING, you are able to port it using a legal SDK ( ha!) and applied HLE, you ll need suffient ram for the emulator and the rom ( in this case, gcm isos as big as 1.4 Gb )...and you are going to do that all in ,.hmmm, 64 Mb of ram?

My opinion? not worth it. Even Project64 couldnt run full speed on the Xbox, and now you want to port Dolphin? get a life , will ya? ;P

Yours,
-Elly

Alchy
February 2nd, 2004, 16:34
AND ASSUMING, you are able to port it using a legal SDK ( ha!) and applied HLE, you ll need suffient ram for the emulator and the rom ( in this case, gcm isos as big as 1.4 Gb )...and you are going to do that all in ,.hmmm, 64 Mb of ram?
Not quite. As the gamecube uses discs not cartridges, the games don't need to be mapped into memory. The data access rate would be sufficiently low to load games off the Xbox hdd.

Which is incidental, because the practicality of emulating a 485 PPC on a 733Mhz x86 is extremely low. Optimised bus bandwidth will not account for the strain of emulating an entirely different cpu architecture.

sheik124
February 2nd, 2004, 17:02
halo looks like zelda the wind waker compared to steel battalion or halo 2.
OH NO YOU DIDN'T, just because you dislike cell-shading doesn't mean you can go about dissing zelda, and because it uses cel-shading you CANNOT compare it to a CG based game like steel batallion or halo2, second, halo is actually a great game even though its old

that has got to be the funniest thing i have ever seen, especially the fact that they had GIR as the boot-up screen (gosh i miss invader zim)

Xbox = Celeron 733, 64 MB RAM, Geforce 3 MX (not the best card anymore)
its actually a geforce 2 MX with an increased amount of pipelines, which just makes the xbox look worse :)

Conclusion: Zelda rules, GCN has not been emulated on XBox, and if they really did that with a disc BOTH would get horribly scraped up (i kinda put 2 discs in my CDROM on accident once and heard a horribly clashing noise, to find both peeling up), who gives a **** about windows running in memory bla bla, Xbox has less memory to start with, this is a childish argument, and linking to the same dork over and over isn't helping you, i could make a website and link to it, what so just because its a link that means its true? a crippled PIII 733 running on crippled Win2k can't run a GCN emu now, PERIOD, stop arguing, its getting you NOWHERE

EDIT: Will a moderator please lock this thread? Its pathetic

Alchy
February 2nd, 2004, 19:26
its actually a geforce 2 MX with an increased amount of pipelines, which just makes the xbox look worse :)
No it isn't. It has a pixel shader and a vertex shader, so it's Geforce 3 level at least. If you're going to criticise other people's technical analysis you need to at least get your own right :satisfied

bohdy
February 2nd, 2004, 19:44
The NV2A has two vertex shaders and a pixel shader plus a few other architectural improvements. Its between a GF3 and a GF4 in power but *possibly* more advanced than either. A lot about its extra functions is unrevealed.

Thats the extent of my knowledge about it anyway. It would be able to run most of the graphical side of Dolwin, but that is hardly where the bottleneck is.

sheik124
February 2nd, 2004, 19:45
it may be geforce3 level but it is a GeForce2 CHIP deep down inside, with added features that are not availible in any GeForce2
while digging around to find out the true GFX Specs, i found this

XGPU to MCPX bus:
AMD HyperTransport
8 bits wide
400 MHz (800 MHz effective)
800 megabytes per second bandwidth

the same technology we see in todays AMD64 motherboards is actually in this Intel/Microsoft/nVidia behemoth, thats odd

bohdy
February 2nd, 2004, 19:54
Its not a GF2 by any stretch of the imagination. I don't know where you got that from.

And the Motherboard thing is not so odd considering the Xbox mobo was a prototype N-force (2?) for Nvidia.