What's new

Dolphin on Xbox

CpU MasteR

omg h4x
Absoultley not.

Why?

Legal Reasons; Nintendo will be pissed that their only selling console is running on another platform for free. Sueing the authors (Of both the port and maybe the main authors which have nothing to do with the port,) and possibly going after other sources such as emu sites and possibly crack down on the GC game ripping.

Is it worth it?

OP
Z

ze of coins

dosmaen said:
It would probably run slower then it does now without a memory mod, or a mhz mod :p

yeah you have sure..
but that emu is on first, near stages (i think)

maybe in 2005 or more isnt run pretty good on slower machines?
or a optimization of dolphin to x?

a have just a dream to play re series on my x :(

piccolo17486

hmm i think it will never run on the Xbox (and i also hope so)
a 700Mhz CPU cant emulate a 500mhz cpu at full speed, also the PPC is totally diffrent from the x86...
you cant improve so much that this gets playable.
Just buy a cube, it isnt expensive

bLAdEbLA

Insert clever rhetoric here.
ZDragon said:
Piccolo is completely right. Dolphin will NEVER run at full speed with less than 3 GHz.

Yup I'll agree with this. For novelty value, of running a next-gen console within another next-gen console it might be cool, but Gamecubes are only $112 AUD (That should equal about 60 USD) so why not go out, grab one and support the guys who made this all possible. And besides there's nothing in the way of console gaming more satisfying than having a game's box, manual, and cute lil' mini-dvd.

Personally, I would love to see dolphin progress the way it has been. I'm absoloutely astounded at the progress it has made so far, and I think the authors should set up a paypal or likewise account for donations, to keep this going. There's nothing more exciting than an EMU scene which grows at such a monumental speed because of the support of the community. Anyway I've had my rant. :D

bohdy

Since the Gekko is (debatably) faster than the Xbox cpu right off the bat it couldn't run as well even if it wasn't emulated.

tonyrayo

I Love Sushi!
A problem with the xbox, besides the lack of proccessor speed and memory, is that it isn't setup like a normal pc. It has been optimized to run xbox games. There is a lot of emulator out there for xbox, but seeing Gamecube running full speed would require an AMAZING amount of optimized coding, and short of programmers from Nintendo and Microsoft getting together to do do, it's not going to happen (and I wonder if even they could make it happen). However, you may see Gamecube emulation on the XBOX 2, so keep a look out =).

Hexidecimal

Emutalk Bounty Hunter.
Buy I gamecube, i traded in my XBOX for one last night, best decision I've made since which flashcart to buy.

dosmaen

Have you ever thought, "Hey, I wonder what it would be like playing Gamecube games on the XBOX?" I have bought a gamecube and 2 games with my own money,(the rest of my games I got for christmas, which was alot!). I'm only interested in gamecube emulation because people said it could not be done and it is so quickly emulated by a group of geniuses. That's what got me into emulation in the first place. I wondered what a gameboy game would be like on the computer, I heard from a freind that it was possible to emulate the games.(To tell you the truth though, I downloaded pokemon gold to play it before anyone else, and to prove it actually exists to these idiots at school. :p). Now, I would be happy if there was just a homebrew emulator, say dolwin, that could be emulated, just to be able to say, "HAHAH, you're wrong. Gamecube can be emulated on xbox." Hell, If you could get homebrews of gamecube running as slow as they do in dolwin on dreamcast that would be even better.

Wow, that was my longest post so far and stuff. :bouncy:

Last edited:

Fgoaty

You may not want it to happen, but it most probrably will. the xbox isnt going to have to "fully" emulate the gamecube remember, this emulator uses HLE anyway. and the xbox doesnt have a system intensive Operating system which eats up its speed such as windows. and also if its in demand, nobody is going to give a crap about nintendo and court cases, who are they gonna sue if the author is annonymous for the xbox version? Microsoft?? somehow i dont think so.

ZDragon

Nope. Try Dolphin on an 2 GHz CPU with Hyperthreading on a completely new and clean Windows 2000 installation (aside from the graphic drivers). IT WON'T RUN SMOOTH. Never will. At least not games like Zelda. Okay, you could emulate Bust-A-Move... *shrugs*

Fgoaty

ZDragon said:
Nope. Try Dolphin on an 2 GHz CPU with Hyperthreading on a completely new and clean Windows 2000 installation (aside from the graphic drivers). IT WON'T RUN SMOOTH. Never will. At least not games like Zelda. Okay, you could emulate Bust-A-Move... *shrugs*

this is a teaser version, of course it wont run smooth, you think ultrahle ran smooth on its first release??? windows 2000 still takes up a shitload of resourses anyway im just saying the xbox will be able to run it, it can run n64 emulators nicely, even though some games need a Beast of a computer to run on it, the xbox pulls it off.

Fgoaty

bohdy said:
Is that a joke? :D

And Dolphin uses almost no HLE fyi.

yes, its a joke....

how in bejeebus can that be a joke?
If you think ultrahle is crap you must have some sort of mental disorder, ulrahle pretty much revolutionised the emulation scene and if you think i shouldnt compare Ultrahle with Dolphin you must be seriously mistaken. If dolphin uses no hle whatsoever then i will put my case to rest.
because jesus's UBERcomputer couldnt run this emulator.

Last edited:

ZDragon

Well, okay, let's hope Dolphin becomes that good.

Because even on my specs, it would run faster than an XBox then. So in fact, smoother than the Gamecube... because no matter what you say, my comp IS faster than the XBox.

Fgoaty

your specs may be better yes, but windows is a serious memory hog, the xbox is free from all this. try to explain to me why there are no amazing looking games for the pc? yet the xbox has loads of games with graphical techniques i have never seen on the pc? why?? because the xbox is more capable... thats why.

ZDragon

*bursts in laugher*

Hey, really, what graphical techniques have you seen on XBox that a PC is not capable of? Can you name them? Or even *describe* them?

ROFLMAO

Fgoaty

ZDragon said:
*bursts in laugher*

Hey, really, what graphical techniques have you seen on XBox that a PC is not capable of? Can you name them? Or even *describe* them?

ROFLMAO

looking at xbox games, they use pixel shading, dinamic lighting, some bump mapping, anti aliasing, all at the same time to give a realistic feel the the game, steel battalion for instance has some incredible blurring effects when explosions go off and it looks simply stunning, nothing on the pc looks anywhere near that good. name a game that uses even half of those techniques? and dont say doom 3 because that hasnt even been released.

Here is an interesting dilemma: How much video bandwidth does an Xbox need to play Halo on your TV vs. on a PC??

PC: 60fps x 1024 x 768 x 32-bit color = 180 MBps
Xbox: 30fps x 640 x 480 x 16-bit color = 18 MBps

The PC needs to generate 10 times as much video data as a console just to properly drive the display.

so stop using your nintendo fanboy tactics to block out the fact from your feeble little mind, it will run on xbox no problemo.

if you think your so clever have a read of this underneath. this will wipe that naive smirk off your face.

http://www.theblowhole.com/xbox/xboxvspc.html