sheik124

Emutalk Member
/me dies laughing
i don't think the authors will open source something as good and tasty as this

Martin

Administrator
DO NOT

- Ask for GC-iso's (aka gcm's)
- Tell people where to get GC-iso's (or tell them to contact you about it)
- Ask how to rip GC-iso's (google is your friend)
- Request the source code
- Insult people without reason, advertise or spam
- Don't write in capitals
- Double post
- Ask to be a betatester

The team will release the source code if they want to.

justinkb

Banned
that's where you're REALLY wrong.

it's obviously clear that the authors of Dolphin have used code from the PowerPC emulator at www.microlib.org, which is licensed under the General Public License for open source software, which forces the Dolphin team to release their source code too (for every _single_ binary they release).

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html

i expect to see the source code on the Dolphin website in a few days :)

it's not a matter whether 'if they want to', they don't really have a choice in the matter.

Consider this situation:
X releases V1 of a project under the GPL.
Y contributes to the development of V2 with changes and new code based on V1.
X wants to convert V2 to a non-GPL license.
Does X need Y's permission?
Yes. Y was required to release its version under the GNU GPL, as a consequence of basing it on X's version V1. Nothing required Y to agree to any other license for its code. Therefore, X must get Y's permission before releasing that code under another license.

Last edited:

ShadowPrince

There not much code of that PowerPC emulator left in source,mostly message logs and alerts, and since dynarec is completed there will be nothing at all . So you have no right to demand Dolphin going opensource .
Actually , those demands are getting rather annoying,and next person to do it,will be banned from this board . Learn to read rules.

It will go opensource either when project is dead,or when authors feel like it.

dosmaen

ShadowPrince said:
There not much code of that PowerPC emulator left in source,mostly message logs and alerts, and since dynarec is completed there will be nothing at all . So you have no right to demand Dolphin going opensource .
Actually , those demands are getting rather annoying,and next person to do it,will be banned from this board . Learn to read rules.

I also think it would be a little early for releasing the source code. I think everyone can wait until at least a non-teaser release for it. Although, it would be awesome to look through.

razorrifh

Eloking said:
I was wondering if there's a way to get the emulator dolphin as an open source.
i didnt hear him ask for the source. he asked if there was any way to get the dever(s) to make it open source.

justinkb

Banned
ShadowPrince said:

your ignorance saddens me. even 'not much' borrowed :rolleyes: code gives everybody every right to demand the source. u'd think people would read the GPL license when they use code from GPL licensed projects.

oh well.

vampireuk

Mr. Super Clever
justinkb said:
your ignorance saddens me. even 'not much' borrowed :rolleyes: code gives everybody every right to demand the source. u'd think people would read the GPL license when they use code from GPL licensed projects.

oh well.

Justin let me put this into really basic terms for you, they owe you nothing. They do not have to release the sourcecode simply because some aol lamer thinks they have to.

Nobody has a right to the source code until the team decide to release it, ask again and I will ban your arse.

justinkb

Banned
vampireuk said:
Justin let me put this into really basic terms for you, they owe you nothing. They do not have to release the sourcecode simply because some aol lamer thinks they have to.

Nobody has a right to the source code until the team decide to release it, ask again and I will ban your arse.
like i care whether the fuck you ban me or not, dipshit.

anyway, not releasing the source code _is_ breaking the law, no matter whether the fuck you think you have to release it or not, that's irrelevant.

read the fucking GPL. (its in the gzip file you downloaded from microlib.org :rolleyes: )

Martin

Administrator
justinkb said:
that's where you're REALLY wrong.

it's obviously clear that the authors of Dolphin have used code from the PowerPC emulator at www.microlib.org, which is licensed under the General Public License for open source software, which forces the Dolphin team to release their source code too (for every _single_ binary they release).

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html

i expect to see the source code on the Dolphin website in a few days :)

it's not a matter whether 'if they want to', they don't really have a choice in the matter.

I'm never wrong. Well, not in this case anyway. :p :naughty:

From a comment at www.dolphin-emu.com by ector:

ector said:
To clear up the GPL issue:

Yes, we did use the incomplete and pretty bad Microlib PowerPC emulator to ease the initial stages of development. Yes, we have since removed and replaced it.Obviously we missed a few traces of the code, including the reported error message but not much more. Maybe we rushed this preview release a bit, but we really wanted to get something out there. If you feel that this absolutely tiny mishap in this little hobby project that we earn absolutely no money from is a major GPL violation, go sue us.

We might eventually release the source in the future anyway when it's in a releaseable state (meaning organization, clearly defined plugin interfaces etc.. the code is in a state of fast and vast changes atm).

Besides, I know this is not your point, but what use would there be to release the source to a still highly in development emulator? It's not like just anyone can jump into the code and fix stuff, it's huge and quite complex, and quickly changing. I don't think anyone except emulator clone lamers would have any use for the source in its current state.

If you had the knowledge, skills and interest you would probably be part of the team already.

I hope this statement settles the debate somewhat. Thanks for reading and enjoy the emulator.

Status
Not open for further replies.