What's new

The Shrinker Tool

Zilla

夢を見られた
If I shrink my .gcm's will I still be able to play them on my Gamecube (ACL 1.4)?

2fast4u

if you actually owned the gc games you have in iso format you wouldnt have to worry about that since you could just recover them, hence rendering this question useless :p

RotJ

I ran the shrinker tool on a gcm when my hard drive was near max capacity. After it finished and created a 400 meg file, I had 0 bytes left free. The thing is, I could have sworn I only had 300 something megabytes of free space originally. After I deleted the gcm, it had 400 free. Did something horrible just happen or am I just remembering things wrong?

2fast4u

strange actually .. i tried the tool with f-zero gx and the size increased by about 100 megs. how very strange..

Zuzma

I dunno I'd just stay away from the shrinker tool till they get all the bugs worked out of it. Personally I wouldn't use a iso/rom tool if it even has the slightest chance of currupting the stuff I dumped.

Niggy G

HTAFC will rise again!!!
What are the usual file sizes of the iso? (range), without them being shrunk?

What exactly is being removed when they are shrunk?

Is it like the removal of excess data in an overdump?

What do they shrink down to?

Moe

Niggy G said:
What are the usual file sizes of the iso? (range), without them being shrunk?

What exactly is being removed when they are shrunk?

Is it like the removal of excess data in an overdump?

What do they shrink down to?

All GC games are 1,425,760 bytes.

The shrinker removes all the garbage between the files.
The final size depends on the game.
It can be from as little as 30 meg to 1gig.

blake

Emulation Master
It depends on which game you rip. Just read the instructions for shrinking in Dolphin and it will say that it may leave some .gcn's unbootable. I tried to shrink Mario Kart, but it was unbootable.

knatsch

In the shrinker tool is told that Wario ends in an unbootable gcm after shrinking. For which isos is the shrinker definately working? I have tried
Bust a Move (G3SE)
Mario Kart Double Dash (GM4P)
Pac Man Vs. (PRJE)
and i have no error spotted, the games run just as "good" as before ;)

Gruß
knatsch

bLAdEbLA

Insert clever rhetoric here.
knatsch said:
In the shrinker tool is told that Wario ends in an unbootable gcm after shrinking. For which isos is the shrinker definately working? I have tried
Bust a Move (G3SE)
Mario Kart Double Dash (GM4P)
Pac Man Vs. (PRJE)
and i have no error spotted, the games run just as "good" as before ;)

Gruß
knatsch

I've shrunk 4 or 5 games, and they all come out with positive results. None of them worked any different than before. They Were Ikaruga, MkDD, Super Mario Sunshine, Zelda, Bust-a-move, and Animal crossing (which shrunk from 1.4gb to 40ish mb!!!)

knatsch

bLAdEbLA said:
I've shrunk 4 or 5 games, and they all come out with positive results. None of them worked any different than before. They Were Ikaruga, MkDD, Super Mario Sunshine, Zelda, Bust-a-move, and Animal crossing (which shrunk from 1.4gb to 40ish mb!!!)

Thanks for your list! :)
Please post the Game ID from each one, so we can identify it clearly.

bLAdEbLA

Insert clever rhetoric here.
bLAdEbLA's Successfully Shrunk Game List (SSGL):

Results presented in (Game)(Size Shrunk to)(ID)
Animal Crossing, 32, GAFE
Bust-a-move-3000, 181, G3SE
Ikaruga, 238, GIKE
Mk Double Dash, 471, GM4E
Sonic Heroes, 1.27gb, G9SJ
Super Mario Sunshine, 1.1gb, GMSP
Zelda: The Wind Waker, 1.0gb, GZLE

Buy me more games and I'll add to the list! :D