What's new

A few brief questions to the programmers (concerning GC video hardware)

Zenikase

Having successfully emulated GameCube hardware, I assume you know a good deal about it. With that said, I've had a couple of lingering questions concerning the graphical processor. Namely, is "Flipper" capable of doing dot-product bump mapping in hardware? Secondly, is it capable of other per-pixel effects?

Thanks in advance. :)

ector

Emulator Developer
Yes and yes. Though the bumpmapping doesn't work in dolphin yet, there is still lots of work left on the graphics

OP
Z

Zenikase

Thanks! You're the same ector that worked on Icarus, right? :)

Would you like to elaborate on what other per-pixel effects it can do? I'm guessing specular reflections, environment mapping, and possibly some types of lighting.

ector

Emulator Developer
Those TEVs are more flexible than pixel shaders 1.x but not as powerful as pixel shaders 2.0. Most games don't push them though. Dolphin generates 1.1 pixel shaders when possible, and otherwise 2.0.

OP
Z

Zenikase

Awesome. Google has come up with decent results for TEV info. It sure is an interesting bit of hardware!

Last edited:
OP
Z

Zenikase

Sorry for replying twice in a row, but I also wanted to ask what the difference was between 24-bit color with alpha blending and 32-bit RGBA. Is alpha blending the same as an alpha channel (meaning they both transmit the same 32-bit final image)?

ZDragon

ector said:
Those TEVs are more flexible than pixel shaders 1.x but not as powerful as pixel shaders 2.0. Most games don't push them though. Dolphin generates 1.1 pixel shaders when possible, and otherwise 2.0.

I believe you mean the other way around - 2.0 pixel shaders if possible, otherwise 1.1. Otherwise, 2.0 shaders would only be used if the graphics card didn't even support 1.1 shaders :p