What's new

Jnes Source...

Nick_kidid0

Member since 2001
Hi there Jabo,
I was just wondering if in the future you'll ever release the Jnes source code to the public..? If so, is it well documented/commented? Sorry but i am just interested, cause from what i've heard alot of NES emu's are poorly documented, thus making it hard to add to, or even one day port.

Thanks again.

Jabo

Emulator Developer
it's fairly decent, i maintain a clean code base despite it being written in C and being old (over half a decade!). The emu is also probably one of the smallest I would imagine, which I always see as a plus, I don't like supporting things just so I can have a huge feature list. It's not designed to be portable, but it's clean enough to understand. I don't see a reason to release the source to it, there is so many open source emus so it's benefit is decreased drastically, and it would give me one more thing to keep track of and look after.

I'm not really an authority on the source of other projects, but I know NESter is open source, from what I've seen release wise it's fairly portable and feature rich, people have added craploads to it, I would assume the code base is rather nice. Perhaps the reason for the generalized messy code bases is the popularity of emulating the NES, there is a lot of emus.

Last edited:
OP
Nick_kidid0

Nick_kidid0

Member since 2001
From what i've seen, you're right, NESter has had alot of features added to it. This perhaps making it very annoying to port. I've ported the sound, pad, 50% of it's video and about 40% of the core but i'm thinking of giving up as it's far too much work and i'm quite busy lately. Anyhow, thanks for your reply.