What's new

FPS Problems Visual Boy Advance

snoops

I have two problems actually....

1) This happens only with Game Boy Advance games. The fps is very low (in the 20's). If I set frameskip to 0 it goes up into the 60's but the sound starts getting messed up. If I set it to frameskip 1, I get 30 fps, which is still a bit low for some of the platformers imo. Is there anything you can do about that?

2) Especially with Game Boy/Color games, even with vsync on, there is still tearing in some fast games, like Mario. How can you fix this?

Thanks.

Clements

Really fast computers can get away with disabling Automatic frameskip to get 60fps all the time and its very smooth. You just have to configure the render engines (and options therein), resolution and filter that works best for your computer to compensate.

jessman1988

Banned
Yeah, I never use frameskip on my pc for GBA games. A sweet 1024x768 res with the SuperEagle effects on! The only problem I have is that V-Sync gives me little FPS drops randomaly. The games tear so much without it that I NEED V-Sync on. Auto Frame-skip is really bad with Visual Boy Advance because it slowly makes my games skip 9 frames! I only need to skip like half a frame with V-Sync on along with the special features. I hate having to choose between good graphics or smooth gameplay. DARNIT!

loleoc

jessman1988 said:
Yeah, I never use frameskip on my pc for GBA games. A sweet 1024x768 res with the SuperEagle effects on! The only problem I have is that V-Sync gives me little FPS drops randomaly. The games tear so much without it that I NEED V-Sync on. Auto Frame-skip is really bad with Visual Boy Advance because it slowly makes my games skip 9 frames! I only need to skip like half a frame with V-Sync on along with the special features. I hate having to choose between good graphics or smooth gameplay. DARNIT!

In my pc, in GDI and Opengl Mode this is possible:

Res 1024 * 768, vsync on, bilinear plus/super eagle, frameskip to 0 , all to 60 frames always! and not slowdowns. Not possibe to me (buy I will try when I could enable agp 4x, install latest detonators, and windows xp) do the same with directx and d3d modes.

jessman1988

Banned
yo, thanks for replying, lol. this hasn't had a reply in so long that i forgot about it, lmao! well, those options still don't do too good. oh well, nvm.

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Well, it is kinda odd. But even on high-end computers, filters may still cause dropdown in fps (eg metroid zero mission & golden sun 2). However, I always find it best to disable the filters and run on 1024x768 resolution--it looks as smooth as if you used a filter with steady 60fps.

Btw, frameskip can cause problems due to skipped frames, so try not to use it. Especially not the auto frameskip.

But again, I don't have the latest version :ermm: