What's new

Sdram on a DDR mother board? would that be possible?

Josep

eyerun4phun
I just got a ddr motherboard, can i put sdram as well on the motherboard? I'm afraid to try it, i don't know if it'll work

n/m

Last edited:

Martin

Administrator
Yup, that would work. :). The RAM would of course only run at its maximum speed though.

OP
Josep

Josep

eyerun4phun
what?! it'll work?! are you sure??? a ddr motherboard, as in a abit KR7A-Raidxp, i dunno if your right, i'm afraid to try it out and try to smash a sdram card into what i think is only a ddr slot for memeory, I THINK, im not sure. I bought ddr memory already, it just hasn't come in yet and i wanna see if i can just throw some memory in my motherboard and see if it'll just work, like a test ya know.

does a none ddr agp card work in agp slots? of course it does! old SDRAM will work in DDR slots, but dont combine the two, ram goes as slow as its slowest part :-/

OP
Josep

Josep

eyerun4phun
thats just video though! Are you sure?? it seems your relation between video and motherboard memory are a bit mixed up. Have you seen or done anything to a ddr motherboard? or have one and tried it? seriously, im not trying to insult you, im trying to insure what your telling me is correct, i don't wanna jack up my new motherboard:)

sk8bloke22

roll for life
it should work. for example my motherboard is limited to 100speed ram.......so if i buy 128ram 133 it'll only run at 100. or if my motherboard ran ram at 133 and i got 128sdram 100, all my ram will run at 100. its the same on a DDR board. the only thing that could happen is that ur motherboard would not recognise the ram, i.e its incompatible......in which ull hear a beeping sound when switching on ur pc. remove it, and replace it with known workign ram and itll work fine. nothing can happen.

OP
Josep

Josep

eyerun4phun
allright, do you think it'll fit in fine to? i can't tell, i've tried putting a stick of sdram and its kinda hard to put in, a little odd, like the two divots on the sdram don't fit the ddr ram slots like they do on regular sdram slots, i dunno...

OP
Josep

Josep

eyerun4phun
hehe, thanks, thats what i thought, maybe it works in a different context of motherboards, but i didn't think it applied to mine, thanks anyway:)

ddr ram is sdram and double data rate... so of course its gonna work slower, imagine making sdram not work intentionally:blush: try it and if you fry it ill buy you a new one :)

OP
Josep

Josep

eyerun4phun
hehe, its allright, my ddr ram comes into tommorow, i'm just impatient and i wanna use my new comp, and not the next day:) hehe

sytaylor said:
ddr ram is sdram and double data rate... so of course its gonna work slower, imagine making sdram not work intentionally:blush: try it and if you fry it ill buy you a new one :)

lol, ddr connects to a 184 pin socket and sdram connects to a 168 pin socket.