What's new

1964 Forgot K6-2 Users... Why?

g_0720

I expected a lot to have new 1964 0.9.9 running on my pc. At last it came and I was absolutly glad about it. But after installing it, i sadly found it wouldn't run on my K6-2 500 MHZ. Would it be possible to have a fix for K6-2 owners?

I LOVE 1964 A LOT!!!!

K6-2 500 MHZ - WINXP - VOODOO 3 3000 - 256 MB

knowitman

They know about the problem. A lot of users reported the same problem, and schibo and rice are working on it.

Hyper190

Banned
Yeah i have the same problem (on the computer im currently stuck on.)Just got to hang in there bud.
Schibo will save the day again!!

Remote

Doesn't the K6-II have a famously slow FPU making it pretty useless for anything? I bet k6-III works like a charm because of the more powerful fpu.. ;)

Could be wrong though but K6- tecnology is soo old atm...

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
Remote said:
Doesn't the K6-II have a famously slow FPU making it pretty useless for anything? I bet k6-III works like a charm because of the more powerful fpu.. ;)

And the on-die cache...

Actually AFAIR the biggest improvement in K6-III is in integer performance. Most of the FPU gains are the direct result of the on-die L2 cache.

Rice

Emulator Developer
1964 Forgot K6-2 Users... Why?

I guess non K6-2 user cared enough to attend the 1964 beta testing team, so no one found the problem before release.

jollyrancher

Doesn't the K6-II have a famously slow FPU making it pretty useless for anything?

I don't know the exact specs, but my old K6-2 runs lots of games great like Halflife and Unreal Tournament and works at full speed with many PSX games using ePSXe. 1964 0.8.5 runs ok and I almost got Zelda MM up to full speed... sorta hoped the new version would run it at full speed. So I wouldn't call the K6-2 useless, especially as a second computer (laptop) that I can take on the road.

Remote

Sorry if I offended anyone :p You know what I mean it's an old cpu but if you have one of course you would want it to work etc... If you have one, try to help rice and schibo to fix the problem :D

jollyrancher

Obviously it would great to have a K6 build, but I'm not exactly an expert programmer and I doubt I could help much. A recent version of Final Burn Alpha didn't work on K6-2's and there was a way to compile it for K6's as follows (most likely this doesn't have any relevance to the 1964 code... probably just for FBA... it seems too simple... oh well!)

Once everything is setup and make generates you a non-k6 binary open the makefile with notepad and change the line that says (without quotes):

"CPUTYPE = i686"

to

"CPUTYPE = k6"

and then do these commands at your mingw command prompt thingy:
"make clean"
"make"

scotty

The Great One
g_0720 said:
But after installing it, i sadly found it wouldn't run on my K6-2 500 MHZ. Would it be possible to have a fix for K6-2 owners?

I am glad that they are actually planning a 1.0.0 release sometime. Perhaps Body Harvest will work (then I can stop being anxious about releases), and perhaps K6-2 CPUs will work, maybe even DK64 will not need to have counter factors changed, you never know.

schibo

Emulator Developer
It's easy to complain about it, but it couldn't hurt to throw a donation our way so i could get the chip.

Last edited:

jollyrancher

Sounds like it needs to be completely rewritten to work with K6-2s, no easy patch like in Final Burn Alpha... don't know what AMD was thinking with that 3DNow! nonsense.

Veracity

Emu Controller Freak
schibo said:
It's easy to complain about it, but it couldn't hurt to throw a donation our way so i could get the chip. (That should quiet the crowd).

I most likely have one (with a mobo and PSU as well). Would you be interested?

schibo

Emulator Developer
Veracity said:
I most likely have one (with a mobo and PSU as well). Would you be interested?

Thanks, i think i can wrestle up a few extra bucks here and buy one off a friend of mine. I'll letcha know :)..

Veracity

Emu Controller Freak
schibo said:
Thanks, i think i can wrestle up a few extra bucks here and buy one off a friend of mine. I'll letcha know :)..

OK. PM me or post here if your deal with your friend falls through

Hyper190

Banned
How much do you need schibo??? I have a couple of bucks left on credit card......

Trying to help us with the k6 2 problem must be hard.

EDIT// how much donations have you gotten so far from everybody??? :icecream: :flowers:

Last edited:

schibo

Emulator Developer
Hyper190 said:
How much do you need schibo??? I have a couple of bucks left on credit card......

Trying to help us with the k6 2 problem must be hard.

EDIT// how much donations have you gotten so far from everybody??? :icecream: :flowers:

Conversation is going into uncomfortable territory..
I will get the chip, thank you.

scotty

The Great One
schibo said:
it couldn't hurt to throw a donation our way so i could get the chip.

I wouldnt mind donating, however my money has been tight these days due to the purchase of my computer, and to the fact that I am paying money for textbooks for the new semester. I do not have a job because my university education is more important then having money, therefore now that I actually have $46 in my account (Canadian) I barely have enought to pay for my lunches for the semester.

Hyper190

Banned
schibo said:
Conversation is going into uncomfortable territory..
I will get the chip, thank you.

Woops sorry about that schibo (i forgot thats personal.)

I should have thought about that!!! HEHE :satisfied

OP
G

g_0720

I've been heard...

I'm really pleased about everyone through this post, 'cause, I think, there's no impossible way If We show good willing... I know, and appreciate a lot Schibo's and Rice's sacrifice, knowledge and love to their "scout" work. I'd spent hours and hours playing with 1964, and now I'm sure they will find a solution for this block...

I give my best to Schibo, Rice and all fans of emulation...
Have a good year. guys !!!.

Gustavo, from Argentina.-