What's new

Final Fantasy XII

Cyberman

It looks like someone edited an FF8 and stuffed a different image into it too me.

Ciao

blizz

this isn't official art people, it's Fan Art, a mock up:

1. her thigh is partially transparent
2. the light shines from the left onto her head yet onto the clouds from the right
3. her shoulder joints are really weird

S-wo

gosh where've you been thre's so much stuff on it now, just check any FFXII site. I'll just tell you that Ashe and vaan are the main characters.

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
FFXII was leaked a few weeks ago, and like everything leaked I just had to have it but enough about that (I won't tell you where I got it) - it gives me a unique perspective to view this topic though as I have played the game.

Firstly: The battle system is quite different from any of the rest - think of it this way, you know how Kingdom Hearts has computer controlled characters and you engage in battles without any loading? This is a bit like that. Your entire party and your party leader directly controlled by you can be controlled with things called Gambits, these are things which dictate how they behave as in "Foe: Any - Attack" As soon as you approach an enemy your entire party will target that monster and fight it.

You can controll them all manually as well and sometimes you will have to especially in boss battles - the whole battle experience is quite a bit semi automatic because you can overrule the gamebits manually at any time - at first everyone says that this makes the game easy - Dead wrong. Anyone who plays FFXII will learn quite fast that this game is very difficult, I have been killed about ten times as you can end up with about 10 enemies attacking your party of three in some points which means only one thing "RUN for it"

Secondly: The story, WOW what a story, it opens up with an amazingly well rendered FMV sequence and is quite epic. Basically some countries or lands are at war and Dalmasca is being invaded (thats your country) by a bigger more powerful group. Shortly after the intro sequence you begin your training and more stuff happens, I don't want to ruin the story anyways, play the gam e yourselves.

Thirdly: Music - Also wow, there is a new composer but hot damn i'd say he's actually better than the original some of the time, three words: Best Music Ever - I actually look forward to the boss battles because I love the boss battle music. The replacement has done a great job with the music as everything seems to feel just right to me.

Finally: Graphics, already talked about the epic fmv's, theres plenty of them - better than FFX's in quality. Graphics are great and square have pushed every ouce of power out of the PS2 by the looks of it... everything has been revamped from player models to levels to even the Menu. The menu graphics look quite cool.

YouTube - FFXII Gameplay <-- something I made earlier showing off the battle system a little. Game comes out next year officially for me but at the end of this month for you american's. I shall have to import it.

Last edited:

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
heh, in all the excitement I forgot how old this thread was, still there aint no other ffxii threads so I was just as well.

Darkfox

That guy that does stuff.
Yeah yeah. Another Final Fantasy for fans to drool over <_<

Edit: And FYI, a lot of FMVs do NOT contribute to gameplay and actually tend to drudge it down. They are starting to become less gameplay and more movie. That is rarely, if ever, good game development. It's more like "Look how pretty our FMVs are!"

Last edited:

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
FMVs are nice because companies rarely, if never, captures such intense dialogue or action as seen in FMVs without them.

Darkfox

But using too many drudges down gameplay and in the past have been used for some not so intense average and stretched out dialogue that can leave the gamer thinking "why did they waste so much time on this?"

So using some is ok, alot is questionable. Usually you'll see they do it just as fillers to make the game flow slower to extend the game without having to put in a lot of gameplay.

Edit: People can justify it however they will, but these are basically the cold truth in some games. For any game, gameplay should be prime concern as that is what is intended. Story elements are supportive of the environment in RPGs but it is the gameplay that defines it as being a game.

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
Don't judge FFXII's FMVs, you have never seen them they are epic. However this game is absolutely gigantic - FMV's don't take away any gameplay in this game trust me on that, they add to its presentation.

You play this game and you tell me FMV's don't contribute to the game, in any case you're trolling in this thread so piss off.

Last edited:

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
There has never been too many FMVs or cutscenes in any Final Fantasty game. Ever.

For good reference, look at Xenosaga.

Doomulation

After watching that gameplay trailer, FFXII doesn't look too "epic" to me. Of course, I will reserve judgement until I get hands on it.

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
After watching that gameplay trailer, FFXII doesn't look too "epic" to me. Of course, I will reserve judgement until I get hands on it.
well yeah but the gameplay video i made is a few years after the events you see in the intro (That part is epic) - thats just a desert you go to train your characters early on that I was playing on. Theres plenty of bigger events that i've played through which have a great epic feel to it.

Doomulation

To me it seems dull - dull characters (none looked to be really anything), dull clothes (too much like todays), dull battle system (annoying strings, controlling party via AI? Choosing magic or attack via menues in REAL TIME?!), etc.

Darkfox

You play this game and you tell me FMV's don't contribute to the game, in any case you're trolling in this thread so piss off.

Nono, I'm giving my legit view on this. Your attacking me for my own personal beliefs and opinions regarding it as trolling. That comment you just made is more trollish than what I've said. I never directed any insults, I never called a person a title, I just stated my view. If you cannot accept that then you should not have posted to this in the first place. That is all I can say.

Don't turn this into a fight, I have no interest in it, I am a gamer, I have my views, deal with it rationally or leave it be. I really have my concerns toward gaming of the future and when I hear cutscenes I recall these drawn out things in some RPGs that make me wish I could get back to the game. They ARE good for character development and story progression but if they also use it for everything else it can get pretty boring. No I have not played the game, but that is no reason to tell me to shut up on my own thoughts.

Anyways, this is a GAME we are talking about, no reason to get so touchy. Alright? :)

As for Doomulation: Yeah, I agree about the character design. They've really not been reaching much with developing their characters, they are seeming too generic these days, of course it could be because of standards for character design are set from other games, but still much could be done with it. In the game design and storywriting my forte has always been character development, originality has been a strong belief to me and I also believe it does hold a specific importance in an RPG, especially adventure game which is not my strong suit LOL. Recent games have shown a tendacy to be more generic. Either the typical effeminate prettyboy or a girl with rabbit ears that look like they've been pasted on her head. I have no clue what happened but they are not giving it much effort.

-Darkfox-

Last edited: