What's new

[Help!]:SiXtyForce w/ black textures?

Developer

NSCocoa
I am a registered user of SiXtyForce 0.7.5, I Love it but not many games could run till v1.0 comes in, Crossed my fingers!!!

Only thing puzzled me is this black part in many games such as Super Mario, Super Smash Bros & more

This screenshot show clear on what I am talking abt...
Hopefully somebody can point me to solve the problem?

Other subject: [Help!]:SiXtyForce 0.7.5 w/ AXis Game Pad
My AXis Game Pad works fine in any games thru SiXtyForce but only thing is that my Game Pad don't have a controller pak even a slots for it...
I wonder how can I get some games load without one or is there any file of controller pak to add in my SiXtyForce forder in the order for it to work propertly?

Any little hint will be very helpful ThankZ

ATY,Rage128Pro2:

Type: display
Bus: AGP
Display Type: CRT
VRAM (Total): 16 MB
Vendor: ATI (0x1002)
Device ID: 0x5452
Revision ID: 0x0000
ROM Revision: 113-XXXXX-104

Display:

Resolution: 1024 x 768 @ 75 Hz
Depth: 32-bit Color
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Main Display: Yes

Last edited:

ToeJam

Developer said:
I am a registered user of SiXtyForce 0.7.5, I Love it but not many games could run till v1.0 comes in, Crossed my fingers!!!

Only thing puzzled me is this black part in many games such as Super Mario, Super Smash Bros & more

This screenshot show clear on what I am talking abt...
Hopefully somebody can point me to solve the problem?

Other subject: [Help!]:SiXtyForce 0.7.5 w/ AXis Game Pad
My AXis Game Pad works fine in any games thru SiXtyForce but only thing is that my Game Pad don't have a controller pak even a slots for it...
I wonder how can I get some games load without one or is there any file of controller pak to add in my SiXtyForce forder in the order for it to work propertly?

Any little hint will be very helpful ThankZ

The black stuff happens when your video card sucks… eg 8MB or less… And if you card doesn't have 3+ render paths/passes/things…
As for memory paks… not yet… at least I haven't tried using one with my N64 Controller using an Adaptoid…

OP
D

Developer

NSCocoa
ToeJam said:
The black stuff happens when your video card sucks… eg 8MB or less… And if you card doesn't have 3+ render paths/passes/things…
As for memory paks… not yet… at least I haven't tried using one with my N64 Controller using an Adaptoid…

This is my Video Card Information, Is this not good enought?

ATY,Rage128Pro2:

Type: display
Bus: AGP
Display Type: CRT
VRAM (Total): 16 MB
Vendor: ATI (0x1002)
Device ID: 0x5452
Revision ID: 0x0000
ROM Revision: 113-XXXXX-104

Display:

Resolution: 1024 x 768 @ 75 Hz
Depth: 32-bit Color
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Main Display: Yes

Clements

I may not be a proud owner of a Mac, but I do know that the Rage Pro is a below spec. card and produces artifacts in N64 emlation such as this. Mario having a jet-black head is a common example of this. I have no idea what you can do to solve this other than upgrading the card.

OP
D

Developer

NSCocoa
Clements said:
I may not be a proud owner of a Mac, but I do know that the Rage Pro is a below spec. card and produces artifacts in N64 emlation such as this. Mario having a jet-black head is a common example of this. I have no idea what you can do to solve this other than upgrading the card.

I don't understand why this black stuff appears just the same way with other G5 users with highest video card out there?

ToeJam

Developer said:
I don't understand why this black stuff appears just the same way with other G5 users with highest video card out there?
Wha? I've never heard, nor seen, that on ANY G5. It is purely that product of having a crappy video card, e.g. the Rage128. Try sixtyforce on any iMac G3 and you'll get that result…

gerrit

There are a number of things that cause black textures to appear:

1) If you have a Rage Pro, Rage 128, or Rage Mobility 128, these video cards do not support subtraction in their combiner which is unfortunately required to emulate many of the N64 combiners.

2) If you have a version of OpenGL that doesn't support the ARB_texture_env_combine. The Mac OS 9 OpenGL supports combiners, but NOT subtraction. So you'll end up with black textures. There is also a version of OpenGL on OS 10.1 that *says* it supports subtraction when it really doesn't :( sixtyforce has workarounds for some of these cases, but they don't fix everything.

3) If you have a video card that has less than 3 combiner stages. (I'm not sure which cards this one applies to.)

I haven't heard of black textures on any G5s, but there is a chance that some changes to OpenGL in Panther may be causing problems. If this is the case, it's a bug and either Apple or I should get around to fixing it.

- Gerrit

OP
D

Developer

NSCocoa
gerrit said:
There are a number of things that cause black textures to appear:

1) If you have a Rage Pro, Rage 128, or Rage Mobility 128, these video cards do not support subtraction in their combiner which is unfortunately required to emulate many of the N64 combiners.

2) If you have a version of OpenGL that doesn't support the ARB_texture_env_combine. The Mac OS 9 OpenGL supports combiners, but NOT subtraction. So you'll end up with black textures. There is also a version of OpenGL on OS 10.1 that *says* it supports subtraction when it really doesn't :( sixtyforce has workarounds for some of these cases, but they don't fix everything.

3) If you have a video card that has less than 3 combiner stages. (I'm not sure which cards this one applies to.)

I haven't heard of black textures on any G5s, but there is a chance that some changes to OpenGL in Panther may be causing problems. If this is the case, it's a bug and either Apple or I should get around to fixing it.

- Gerrit

I understand completely now Gerrit, Thanks! :bouncy: