What's new

Best NSF/SPC Players

CyrylTheWolf

\/\/4ND3RING \/\/0LF
What are the best NSF (Nintendo music) and SPC (SNES music) players out there?

NOTE: I know that there are plugins for Winamp that you can use to play these files and that they are pretty decent but the idea here is to identify programs that are designed specifically for the purpose of playing these sound formats! ;)

If possible, please include a link to the site(s) where we can download these players so that we can all find out why they're the best ones out there! (Please don't make a direct download link if the site requests against doing so. The information there could be worth reading as well.)

(Psst... I'm also looking to update my player collection! Hehehe...)

Just a few ideas... The more ideal players would not only sound great but include better playlist functionality and might even have the ability to display the title of the track that's playing in the manner that Winamp does with the MP3's.

Now let's have some fun here. :)

Clements

CyrylTheWolf said:
What are the best NSF (Nintendo music) and SPC (SNES music) players out there?

NOTE: I know that there are plugins for Winamp that you can use to play these files and that they are pretty decent but the idea here is to identify programs that are designed specifically for the purpose of playing these sound formats! ;)

If possible, please include a link to the site(s) where we can download these players so that we can all find out why they're the best ones out there! (Please don't make a direct download link if the site requests against doing so. The information there could be worth reading as well.)

(Psst... I'm also looking to update my player collection! Hehehe...)

Just a few ideas... The more ideal players would not only sound great but include better playlist functionality and might even have the ability to display the title of the track that's playing in the manner that Winamp does with the MP3's.

Now let's have some fun here. :)

Dunno about NSF, but for SPC the best quality one available (in terms of accuracy, usability and quality) is SnesAMP easily and was specifically designed to play SPCs! It is a plugin for WinAMP but it is superior to all stand-alone programs. I can use 32-Bit/96000Hz audio with cubic spline interpolation so it sounds better than ZSNES if you have many speakers/good audio card. SnesAMP I believe has the most up-to-date Snes sound core so is most accurate of all SPC Players. You can use WinAMPs diskwriter plugin to create WAVs of them which can be converted to mp3s to make Audio CDs with. If you use this I recommend WinAMP 5. The plugin doesn't work with WinAMP 3.

Other stand-alone players include WinSPC (easy as hell to configure, but doesn't play anything from Illusion of Time, quality a bit poor) and this other one called XSPC (this is actually quite a bit better, has RAR support, playlists, skin support, a few visualisations and plays most SPCs, this is probably the best of the stand-alones, although is inferior to SnesAMP). I recommend you look at XSPC if you want an okay quality stand-alone.

I should imagine you can get all these from www.zophar.net

OP
CyrylTheWolf

CyrylTheWolf

\/\/4ND3RING \/\/0LF
*hears crickets chirping*

Wow. I expected that this would get at least a few answers.. Guess I'm a dork. Hehe...

Thanks for the info I expected to eventually hear that. But you gave quite a few enlightening details. Cool. Gives me a few ideas.

SnesAMP it is... :)