What's new

NSF Sound

Snake785

Prepare for Descent.
Hey, I get excellent sound when playing games in Jnes 0.52 but for some reason when I play NSFs some notes tend to carry on and dont stop until it changes and well they sound weird. :p I thought that NSFs would sound the same as they would when you play the actual game. Why is this? Is there a way to fix this? Other than this Jnes is one of the best NES emus out there! Keep up the excellent work Jabo! :D

Jabo

Emulator Developer
NSF's are kind of a mixed bag of tricks, the timing can be a little bit different for notes due to the definition of a single frame of time, for a NSF it's not quite what the NES is, at least the way I do things, it shouldn't be incredibly noticable unless there is a real problem or you are a musician (in which case, you would probably have other problems too then hehe)

in any case, can you upload a sample NSF file that illustrates the problem? please zip it :)

OP
Snake785

Snake785

Prepare for Descent.
I didn't know that the timing would be different. Anyways, Here is Super Mario Bros 3 as an example.

Jabo

Emulator Developer
Yeah the timing is ever so slightly different, I don't even know it makes a difference since most games implement it based on vblank and not 1/4 frame, the problem you are seeing here tho is somehow I managed to mess that up at some point in NSF module, I'll fix it in the next release sorry bout that thanks for the info

OP
Snake785

Snake785

Prepare for Descent.
Ah, I see. It's great to see the problem being solved. :D Keep up the good work! :D