What's new

dynamic recompiler?

Hacktarux

Emulator Developer
spacemanspk said:
so we know mupen needs a dynamic recompier, the question is: are we gettting it anytime soon? :)

It will exist, but i don't know when.... currently i have stopped working on this project because i'm very busy with other things, but i'll restart working on it as soon as possible ;)

Remote

Browse through http://pj64.emulation64.com/emubook/ for more info... :D

Hack: Aren't there any ppl in the linux scene or whatever to call it who are helping out? I saw some where that Mupen is included with a couple of distrubutions and should have brought a lot of attention to it...

vleespet

The decent one
Just a quick explanation for the lazy people: Dynamic recompiler combines and skips instructions and that makes more speed.

blight

explenation for a bit less-lazy people:
dynamic recompiler recompiles (translates) machine code for the N64 (R4300 processor, RISC) into machine code for x86 (PC processors, CISC) in parts of blocks which are then executed block by block on the pc - once a block has been recompiled it doesn't have to be recompiled again - the previously recompiled block is simply executed again.
kinda minimizes ressources needed by the CPU emulation and thus is very fast (maybe twice as fast or faster?)
note: graphics and sound processing would still eat as much CPU though.....

russofris

Is there any chance that Mupen64 may "borrow" the DR from another OSS N64 emulator? This may save a significant amount of work, which is good... unless you were creating Mupen as a learning exercise. I'll take a peek at the source and license compatability.

Thank you for your time,
Frank Russo

blight

putting DR code from another emu in there is maybe more work than writing one from scratch.... i think hacktarux has good ideas and maybe he writes a DR core soon which is better than anything else - who knows ;) :p

russofris

blight said:
putting DR code from another emu in there is maybe more work than writing one from scratch.... i think hacktarux has good ideas and maybe he writes a DR core soon which is better than anything else - who knows ;) :p

I agree, I took a quick look at the 1964 (also GPL'd) codebase and there are some fundamental differences that would require a fair amount of recoding. That said, the 1964 team has done some really great work and probably wouldn't mind the use of their concepts and methods. Implementing a DR is a heck of a lot easier after looking at someone else's (although I am certain that hacktarux has seen a number of them and already has a methodology in mind ). Here's to hoping for the best.

Thank you for your time,
Frank Russo