What's new

Spliting a Video File Problem...

t0rek

Wilson's Friend
I have a AVI video file that I want to split in two to burn it in two CDs... I have splited video files in the past with no problems using Virtual Dub but now I have a strange compatibility error with this video file... Could anyone please recommende me a good and easy to use program to do this little job?

Xade

Irrelevant Insight
t0rek said:
I have a AVI video file that I want to split in two to burn it in two CDs... I have splited video files in the past with no problems using Virtual Dub but now I have a strange compatibility error with this video file... Could anyone please recommende me a good and easy to use program to do this little job?

More than likely you're playing around with a DivX file, in which case you'll be hard pushed to split it. You'll need to de-compress it, then split the source files, then re-encode into DivX. Not to mention the sound...

Of course, that's juist assuming it's DivX. Might not be, in which case my advice is utterly irrelevant.

OP
t0rek

t0rek

Wilson's Friend
... Sorry but, is there a freeware one? I'm run out of money so I can't buy that one (and I know that my ass will be kicked if I ask for a crack here)

joel_029

Lead Guitarist
Well, there is a program called Womble's MpegVCR. And I know there is a trial version for that. You could also download a trial version of AVI Split. but if you're really desperate and don't want to spend money, then just use the Windows Movie Maker. It's not the fastest or coolest prog, but I've used it and it works just fine.

OP
t0rek

t0rek

Wilson's Friend
OK, the problem is that the AVI Split trial let me save just the first part of the splitted file and not the second one... and when I tried to save fragments it just let me to save the first minute... I also tried another one called Advanced AVI Splitter but it didn't work, I don't know why?... the video file is just fine, it runs in every player (including WM Player) but somehow I cannot split it as usual using virtual dub... any other free tool, or maybe one to just to spam it in two CDs (just like Winzip do that in diskettes) ???

Xade

Irrelevant Insight
Surely if AVI Split is doing the job that you need it to do, it makes sense just to buy it?! Regardless of your money situation, I think you should invest your cash in a clearly perfectly functional piece of software.

Xade

Irrelevant Insight
Nahhh not at all! I'm using, what, one piece of dodgy software on my PC now. I intend to pay for that as well, I just resent having to, since I'm a student, etc, etc.

But yeah, I wasn't making any kind of overly hypocritical comment there, I'm serious... try paying for the goods!

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Sure, if you don't go get a software for everything. Most software is designed to do one thing and one thing only.