What's new

Newbie needs help

magicvash

The Hero of Time :-)
Hello. I'm new to the Linux emulation scene. I've been using Mandrake linux 9.1 for quite some time. I decided to move away from booting into windows just to play video games..so I game MUPEN64 a try. I downloaded the software and everything seemed to be ok. I plugged in my Sidewinder Precision Pro joystic and configured the buttons using the built-in blight_input plugin...but...when I load up any ROM, it tells me that there is no controller detected?!? :( I have all libsdl things installed--they came with my install of mandrake (I installed all games by default). I even tried compiling my own blight_input-0.0.8b but the same thing happened.. Please! I'd like any help that can be offered. Thank you.

blight

In the input plugin config dialog, click into the "Plugged" toggle-button right below the "Controller 1" - this will enable the controller

OP
M

magicvash

blight said:
In the input plugin config dialog, click into the "Plugged" toggle-button right below the "Controller 1" - this will enable the controller

DOH!

(proceeds to find a nice clear wall to repeatedly bang head against)

That works...Quest64 plays quite nicely...though my sidewinder is a bit unresponsive in some cases..hmm....maybe it's time to throw it out.....:)

Also...does anyone have a precompiled binary for the alsa output plugin? I can't compile it for some reason--i guess I don't have the dev libraries installed..

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
You know that the sidewinder control collects dirt in itself all the time...so if it's unreponsive, it might be time to clean it! With my sidewinder (normal one only), i took a needle and used it in the small springs to clear out it all. It works perfecly after!

OP
M

magicvash

Doomulation said:
You know that the sidewinder control collects dirt in itself all the time...so if it's unreponsive, it might be time to clean it! With my sidewinder (normal one only), i took a needle and used it in the small springs to clear out it all. It works perfecly after!

Hmm...very interesting. I'll give this a whirl. As far as responsiveness it's decent but could be better. What really puzzles me is that the hat-switch (i've got it mapped to the 4 C-buttons) only responds to 2 of the buttons..not all 4. Maybe this is my configuration but i'll give the cleaning a try and see what happens.

txOjO

MDKEiToR
Magicvash say:
Also...does anyone have a precompiled binary for the alsa output plugin? I can't compile it for some reason--i guess I don't have the dev libraries installed..

This is my compiled alsa plugin for mandrake on pentium4(compiled for)
It's GPL? ...then the sources are in the package(i modify 2 or 3 lines, the GNU GPLis mandatory pack the sources modified) :holiday:
Happy emu :)