What's new

more problems with alsa sound driver

mesman00

What's that...?
i recompiled my kernel today to add vfat support. however, when i re--booted my computer i got an error when loading the computer that says it cannot find the sound device and will use the null sound driver. does anyone know what might have happened when i recompiled my kernel. i didn't touch any of the sound settings. thanks.

*edit* ok now everything loads up perfectly fine after re-emering alsa-driver and alsa-utilites. however, i have no volume on my sound output, even though i have all my sound levels maxed out. however, the music is playing, i just can't hear it

Last edited:

CyrylTheWolf

\/\/4ND3RING \/\/0LF
Have you tried checking your configurations against the kernel with 'chmod' or reloading the sound mod with 'insmod'? I don't use the commands very often since I don't have many problems myself but...you can find the proper syntax just about anywhere.

Also... Have you considered trying out the OSS sound server instead? I used it for a while and it works VERY well. You just have to find a way to...erm...'work around' the trial period... *goes quiet for a moment* Heh...

Yeah. It's all open source...until someone with a source code gets a little greedy.. Sad.. :(

Malcolm

Not a Moderator
mesman00 said:
*edit* ok now everything loads up perfectly fine after re-emering alsa-driver and alsa-utilites. however, i have no volume on my sound output, even though i have all my sound levels maxed out. however, the music is playing, i just can't hear it

Try
Code:
amixer set Surround unmute
amixer set PCM unmute
if that works just add those 2 lines to your /etc/conf.d/local.start file

CyrylTheWolf

\/\/4ND3RING \/\/0LF
Heh.. Or that.

That's what I love about Linux... It may be a pain to find the solutions sometimes but...once you do...it's SO workable.

How is Gentoo, BTW?

OP
mesman00

mesman00

What's that...?
well i'm a jackass, i figured it out before i went to bed last night that i had them muted. gentoo is good. e-database is awesome. only pain is the installation, cuz you gotta compile everything. talk to the more "nerdy" (hahah) linux users for more "nerdy" information. i'm sure they can tell you more than i can.

btw, malcom, if you see this, any fix to the "static" problem yet. thanks

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
Gentoo is probably the most painless distribution I have ever used honestly, not to mention the fastest. I wouldn't call it newbie friendly, but keeping everything up to date, and configuration of just about everything is a script away, unlike redhat or mandrake who frustrate the crap out of you with RPMs.

Malcolm

Not a Moderator
mesman00 said:
well i'm a jackass, i figured it out before i went to bed last night that i had them muted. gentoo is good. e-database is awesome. only pain is the installation, cuz you gotta compile everything. talk to the more "nerdy" (hahah) linux users for more "nerdy" information. i'm sure they can tell you more than i can.

btw, malcom, if you see this, any fix to the "static" problem yet. thanks

Only thing I found to fix it was the 2.6.0 test kernels, they fix it up real good

CyrylTheWolf

\/\/4ND3RING \/\/0LF
Redhat... *shudders*

I like Mandrake, though. I don't have many problems with the RPM's. In fact I could use Mandrake quite well. But REDHAT... OMG... I HATE IT.

I admit that my ability to use Mandrake is due in part to the fact that I spent the time frustrating myself at the beginning of it all and I simply found great software to manage all of the problematic processes. (Or just found and learned to use the built-in features.)

I am downloading Gentoo so I was wondering if it was actually worth my time. Glad to hear so much good about it. I've just started hearing more about it over this last two weeks. Sounded interesting. Nice philosophy they have on the Gentoo site. :)

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
Well, the problem with RPM is that one is never enough. In other words, you find an RPM and try to install it, then you find out that you need another RPM, then you try to install that, and you find out you need yet another RPM, and it keeps going on like that forever. Gentoo is just "emerge blah" and it requires no further user intervention during the entire install process.

CyrylTheWolf

\/\/4ND3RING \/\/0LF
*nods*

I have solved that problem (for the most part..) by simply making sure to install as many commonly-used libs as I can...AND the kernel source. I do this on the initial installation. It was a theory I created in an effort to solve the very same problem you speak of. (That DID suck, too. You're not kiddin'..) I got excellent results from doing so. I rarely have any RPM probs anymore.

But I would still like to try out Gentoo. Still workin' on downloadin' it. I'm on 56K for now after all...

:p

OP
mesman00

mesman00

What's that...?
CyrylTheWolf said:
*nods*

I have solved that problem (for the most part..) by simply making sure to install as many commonly-used libs as I can...AND the kernel source. I do this on the initial installation. It was a theory I created in an effort to solve the very same problem you speak of. (That DID suck, too. You're not kiddin'..) I got excellent results from doing so. I rarely have any RPM probs anymore.

But I would still like to try out Gentoo. Still workin' on downloadin' it. I'm on 56K for now after all...

:p

if your installing from a livecd on a 56k be prepared to wait a very very long time. all the packages are downloaded during installation, thus requiring a fast connection.

CyrylTheWolf

\/\/4ND3RING \/\/0LF
*shakes head*

LiveCD? Not sure what you're talking about but...I don't believe that's the case. I'm downloading the ISO's. (There's two of them.) Shouldn't these images contain at least the minimal package compliment required to install Gentoo?

CyrylTheWolf

\/\/4ND3RING \/\/0LF
I thought better of it and loaded up my FTP client to check the site I'm getting Gentoo at.

ftp://cudlug.cudenver.edu/pub/mirro...vecd/athlon-xp/athlon-xp-1.4-20030911-cd1.iso

Great. It's LiveCD... *rolls eyes and shakes head in exasperation* I am most certainly NOT going to install Gentoo THAT way.

Sooo... Where could I find a full set of Gentoo ISO images that include the packages? This sucks. I mean... CVS trees I can understand. But to install the OS... *shakes head again* Yeah. I'm a little irritated for having downloaded half of the first ISO only to find this out. Bleh...

Anywho... If you guys could locate an FTP site where I could nab the FULL SET of Gentoo ISO's I would much appreciate it. I'll be looking as well. I have a friend on a BB connection that is coming for Thanksgiving and he's asking me what all I need downloaded so he can bring it to me. Let me know ASAP, please. :)

Malcolm

Not a Moderator
there's no such thing as a 'full set' of ISOs. You can get CD 1 and 2, they have enuff to get you going with XFree and GNOME/KDE with OpenOffice, besides that they don't have any pre-compiled binaries.

I'd suggest that you _not_ use gentoo on a 56k connection unless you can get someone to get the pakages you need for you and burn them ot a CD-RW.

Gentoo is just too internet-dependent to run off of such a slow line.

CyrylTheWolf

\/\/4ND3RING \/\/0LF
I see. Do you know where I could find a list of the packages that Gentoo would require to be useful? (Doesn't it come with ANY packages AT ALL?)

This is a pain in the ass... Ugh. Might just say screw this and wait until I have BB net.

What can Gentoo do, anyway? If you were to advertise Gentoo to me against any other of the commonly distributed distros...what would you tell me? Why would I want to switch over from Mandrake for instance? (Aside from the package management we've already discussed.)

Thanks for the info, though. :)

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
It all depends on what you want. Mandrake is basically a preconfigured linux that you can just load up on your PC and its ready to go. Gentoo is a meta distribution, which means that you only install what you want when you need it.

You want to install xfree86? type "emerge xfree"
You want to install kde? type "emerge kde"
You want windows file sharing? type "emerge samba"
etc. All dependencies that these programs need are automatically taken care of as well, you just tell it what major package you want and it takes care of the rest. It even sets up a nice basic working "out of the box" configuration for you.

Also, if you upgrade from say mandrake 8.0 to 9.2 or something similar, you are basically replacing a shitload of packages with newer versions. With gentoo, you don't need to "upgrade" your distribution. When you see "gentoo 1.4," that only refers to the version number of the installer, which you only use once. There realy is no "version 1.4" like you are used to in the classical sense, its just "gentoo linux" :)

Getting every peice of software on your system up to the latest version is easy as well; just type "emerge -U --deep world" And better yet, when you update packages, they don't break things like they do in other linux distributions.

Debian is also similar to gentoo in all of these features, except in gentoo you download the source code instead of binaries, and you compile the sources to be optimal for your specific system architecture, which makes things run faster than every other distribution out there. The disadvantage though is that it takes *much* longer for the installation of everyday things to complete.

Last edited: