What's new

This might be cool...

xamenus

Now I know you may not be interested in adding more mappers, but please consider this: What if you enabled Jnes to use dll plugins for mapper support? Maybe then it would be possible for you to enable Jnes to support NESten's v 1.3 open source mapper plugin? This would allow Jnes to support a lot more mappers, if the user wishes to download the NESten mappers anyway. You could use a default mapper plugin for the mappers Jnes currently supports. Do you think this could work?

Jabo

Emulator Developer
IceFox38 said:
Now I know you may not be interested in adding more mappers, but please consider this: What if you enabled Jnes to use dll plugins for mapper support? Maybe then it would be possible for you to enable Jnes to support NESten's v 1.3 open source mapper plugin? This would allow Jnes to support a lot more mappers, if the user wishes to download the NESten mappers anyway. You could use a default mapper plugin for the mappers Jnes currently supports. Do you think this could work?

In short, it's a lot of work to be honest, it's no secret that I just work on this for fun every once in a while either. I think the plugins and mappers is what makes NESten so cool, I wouldn't want to take away from that, I think people should use it

If you have any recommendations I'm always curious what mappers people really would like to see supported so let me know, so far tho I've had this discussion with others and I haven't come across any I felt I could do fairly quickly to support a great game..

Last edited:
OP
X

xamenus

Jabo said:
In short, it's a lot of work to be honest, it's no secret that I just work on this for fun every once in a while either. I think the plugins and mappers is what makes NESten so cool, I wouldn't want to take away from that, I think people should use it

If you have any recommendations I'm always curious what mappers people really would like to see supported so let me know, so far tho I've had this discussion with others and I haven't come across any I felt I could do fairly quickly to support a great game..

OK, that's fine, I didn't know it would be a lot of work, but thanks for replying to my message. I can't think of any mappers I would want now; I just figured more mappers would help me out in the future if I needed them. Thanks.

scotty

The Great One
Castlevania 3 is the only Mapper 5 game that is supported for Jnes, others arent, remember Smegforbrain. You probably knew this already but I said it anyways

OP
X

xamenus

Yes, mapper 5 would probably be a more popular mapper. I realize that it is rather complex though, but you can always take a peek at other open source emus that support it well. :)

Lillymon

Ninja Princess
If all you want to do is play Castlevania 3, then there are better options. Akamajyou Densetsu (GoodNES name: Akamajou Densetsu (J)) is the Japanese version and it uses mapper 24 (which Jnes supports). It also uses the VRC6 so the sound is far superior to the US version.

David Mullen and Duke Serkol made a preliminary translation a while back by inserting the Castlevania 3 script into the Akamajyou Densetsu ROM. It's identicle to Castlevania 3 except that the title screen is in Japanse and it still has the rockin' VRC6 music.

Kitsune Sniper has made a proper translation of Akamajyou Densetsu. The script has been translated from Japanese and has none of the censorship or poor translation present in Konami's official translation. BMF54123 has made a title screen hack too, so the thing is fully translated!

smegforbrain

scotty said:
Castlevania 3 is the only Mapper 5 game that is supported for Jnes, others arent, remember Smegforbrain. You probably knew this already but I said it anyways

Not quite up to speed on the mappers, but what mapper is Romance of the Three Kingdoms then?

Every other Koei game for the NES is mapper 5 (hence the reason I want that mapper to work for Jnes in full some day).

In the mean time, I use VirtuaNES, which runs mapper 5 flawlessly as far as I can tell. :)

Jabo

Emulator Developer
Romance of the Three Kingdoms is actually a game i tried to get working better in the 0.5.x series, 0.4.x ran it worse i think.. I'll see what I can do sometime I wasn't aware people were interested in that game

smegforbrain

Oh, well, Rot3K I've never had a problem with in JNes 0.5.x. I just can't recall off hand which mapper it is. :)

As I said, it is the only Koei game that JNes currently runs at all.
All of the others, Bandit Kings of Ancient China, Gemfire, Genghis Khan, L'Empereur, Nobunaga's Ambition 1 & 2, Romance of the Three Kingdoms 2, and Uncharted Waters, all appear to be mapper 5.

scotty

The Great One
smegforbrain said:
Oh, well, Rot3K I've never had a problem with in JNes 0.5.x. I just can't recall off hand which mapper it is. :)

As I said, it is the only Koei game that JNes currently runs at all.
All of the others, Bandit Kings of Ancient China, Gemfire, Genghis Khan, L'Empereur, Nobunaga's Ambition 1 & 2, Romance of the Three Kingdoms 2, and Uncharted Waters, all appear to be mapper 5.

Thats them, but Nobunaga's Ambition isnt Mapper 5, #2 is.