What's new

Reactions to .5.2

pandamoan

Banned
My reaction:
WOW!
to me it is the best emu out now for nes. i'm a firm convert from fce and the other (very fine) nes emus out there.

the screenshots are only in nes native resolution, though... so i can't show how pretty it really is on my machine.

jnes owns!

loves: stereo sound, input config, 2xsai, resolution choices, compatibility (so far, haven't found a bummer yet!)

hates: that i now have to reinstruct everyone i know to use this emu instead of the ones they are using.

sweet!

/edit

i did find that gargoyle's 2 flickers quite a bit.... dunno....
let me know if i can give you more info....

/edit

Last edited:

Legend

Of course, I was extremely happy to see this release. It is awesome. My 2xsai filter looks beautiful-although I did have to switch it to 16bit mode because 32 was to slow.

The ONLY little thing I found wrong was that "Go fullscreen when rom is opened" does not stay checked when I close the emulator. So basically I can't use it at all-just got to hit alt-enter after opening a rom. So hopefully that tiny bug will be squashed in a bug fix version or something.

Oh yeah, I remembered something else which was actually in the last version as well and that is when a rom is running the menus take about 7sec. to respond to whatever I do. Is that just something I'm experiencing in my rig?

scotty

The Great One
This IS the best version of Jnes out there. I think that I might just use JNES more than I usually do.

Graphics: with the Super 2X Sai, the graphics are much better than the other emulators out there, I really like the filtering, and triple buffering option.

Sound: although a little funny on my sound card, I think that it is definately better than the previous versions.

The only things I have found wrong with the emulator now is:
Mapper 5 is still partial (although I havent really played anything by KOEI lately I looked into it)
Final Fantasy 3 (j) sound is awkward (in battle, the drum)

Jabo

Emulator Developer
The auto full screen was an a lill boo boo, nothing major tho, I'll clean it up in the future

The 7second response is kind of strange, you might want to check out task-manager and see if Jnes is maxing out your Cpu time for some reason, it's not uncommon if you are using 2x SaI with a strange AGP configuration, altho at 2ghz it would be an oddity...

s|rens

till the end of time
It always good to check the site out and find that there is a new release of one of your fav emus.

Excellent job Jabo!

Clements

I love it!

With the XP theme and nice new Icon JNes is a work of beauty!

I love the awesome crystal-clear stereo sound and the suberb Super 2XSAI option which looks really good. This is the only NES emulator I truely trust! Excellent work!

revl8er

That Damn Good
The 7second response is kind of strange, you might want to check out task-manager and see if Jnes is maxing out your Cpu time for some reason

I have that same problem, but it's no big deal. I love the new version. The 2x SaI is great.

Legend

I solved the 7 sec. pause by taking off the 2xsai filter on windowed mode. I'm so happy now! :bounce:

Ummm, but could somebody tell me about this new xp theme thing; this new 48x48 icon dealy-I don't see any difference from .5.1. Thanks.

Last edited:

Modem

ph33r teh hammy!
I was in the mood a couple days ago to play nes stuff, and saw that there was a new version of your emu (been away for a long while on a job in Wyoming, away from my computer)... I must say, it's infanantly better than any other nes emu I've ever used... though I can't quite understand why you can only have the strange resolutions in window mode, heh heh (that's just the way I tend to play emulation, that's all). The features are really nice, and being able to play with that snazzy 2xsai feature is pretty cool too, making nes look better than it's ever been.
First you help make the N64, a system which has only been out for a couple years prior to you starting your work, look tons better than the n64 can, then seeing what you've done with this... I have to say, congratz, Jabo, this is just the most fun I've had in a looooooong while. Being able to play games I haven't been able to since... well, since I can remember is truly excellent, and brings back tons of memories hanging out with my friend(s) in front of the 80's televisions playing the nintendo for hours... ahhhhh, memories. =)
Now, before I make more of a complete idiot of myself, back to dragon warrior! YAY, good to be playing old school again *sigh*. Thanks, Jabo, you're truly a excellent person for doing this. Please keep up the excellent work! ^_^
- Modem :w00t:

scotty

The Great One
Weird resolutions...........

Actually no, the REAL NES uses the 256 x 224 resolution, as in Jnes you have the option to emulate it at its native resolution. The other resolutions are it just by how many times larger it is, (ie 512 x 448 is 2x)

OP
pandamoan

pandamoan

Banned
more resolutions:

scotty said:
Weird resolutions...........

Actually no, the REAL NES uses the 256 x 224 resolution, as in Jnes you have the option to emulate it at its native resolution. The other resolutions are it just by how many times larger it is, (ie 512 x 448 is 2x)

but there are very good computer "native" resolutions that work well under jnes:

i like 1024x768... it's (a little!) stretched out, but i never really notice, and with super 2xsai, it's a beaut.

but all my screenshots are in the 256 x 224 resolution, so none are worth posting, really :). wysiwyg screenshots would be nice since this is such a pretty emu.

/edit

oh and jabo... you should get a new screenshot with 2xsai on and edit it for your icon, would probably look even cooler!

/edit

Jiiimbooh

Strange bug

When I click file>open (or ctrl+o) absolutely nothing happens. (There's no error message and the emulator doesn't freeze etc.) But I can still click file>browse or drag and drop a file and it will work. I have never had this problem with any program before and I don't have it on the older versions of Jnes. I use Windows 98 SE

Anyway, besides that the emulator seems to be working fine.

Jabo

Emulator Developer
Jnes doesnt support drag and drop, so that's kind of strange, maybe you meant it in some other way. I'll review the code for open dialogs just for shits and giggles, but I'd figure if there was a serious problem more people would post it ?

Jiiimbooh

With "drag and drop" I meant drag the file to the Jnes icon and then Jnes will open the file. (I didn't mean that you can drag the file to the Jnes window while Jnes is running.)

Modem

ph33r teh hammy!
I just tested it (dragged the file onto JNes.exe), and it seems to work fine for me. Try just opening up JNes and opening the file through the file/open menu. If that doesn't work, you have bigger problems apparently. :)

Trotterwatch

This may be totally wide of the mark, but I had an identical issue with Gens a while back. I deleted the config, replaced the .exe, deleted all .reg entries etc Nothing would work.

Fixed it in the end by overwriting the Kaileriaclient.dll file.... don't ask me how that worked, but it did!

Trotterwatch

I just redownloaded a copy of Gens (and replaced the .dll with the other copy). So I guess in this instance just reinstall Jnes over the top of itself will do.

I know it sounds stupid, but it worked for me in a similar circumstance, so thought it was worth mentioning on the off chance :)

Jiiimbooh

It don't sound stupid since you had the same problem (and that *.dll file also comes with Jnes.):)
I tried to redownload & reinstall but it didn't work. Seams as if the problem is with my computer then. But I guess I can get use to click on file/browse insteed of file/open.