What's new

OpenGL probs

Moredhel

I've spent the whole day getting mupen64 to work and looking for drivers. Mupen works, and I have Mesa and SDL, but I can't get direct rendering to work. The Mesa site says it can't do it, and DRI says they don't support my video card.
It's a Diamond Stealth III S540 AGP 32mb card. Since DM is out of business, am I pretty much screwed unless I want to run in Windows? Or is there something I can do?

Thanks.

blight

maybe you should buy a new video card? one for like 60 euros should be good enough... i am not an opengl/dri expert.. i just port stuff :p

OP
M

Moredhel

Thanks for the response, blight. I do intend to buy a Radeon 9200SE soon. But this is a half-decent video card, and I might pass it down to the family computer or my sister's or something. So I would still like to find some way to support it regardless.

JttL

Moredhel said:
Thanks for the response, blight. I do intend to buy a Radeon 9200SE soon. But this is a half-decent video card, and I might pass it down to the family computer or my sister's or something. So I would still like to find some way to support it regardless.
If you're using linux, you should _not_ buy ATI's card. If you can choose select nVidia, You'll save incredible amount of time and pain. I got Raden myself for a while but very soon I found that linux support for it wasn't very complete. Just get nVidia and it will work at full speed as soon as you install nVidia's drivers.

The Khan Artist

Warrior for God
JttL said:
If you're using linux, you should _not_ buy ATI's card. If you can choose select nVidia, You'll save incredible amount of time and pain. I got Raden myself for a while but very soon I found that linux support for it wasn't very complete. Just get nVidia and it will work at full speed as soon as you install nVidia's drivers.

I had the same problems when I tried getting my Radeon 9700 going under Gentoo 6 months ago. However, I've seen several people on the Gentoo forums say that ATi's new drivers are rather good, and are improving even faster than nVidia's.

Just my two cents. :)

blight

it'd be cool if one day there were OpenGL drivers for PPC Linux - then i'd trash my intel PC ;)

txOjO

MDKEiToR
ATI powah! 4 evah!

I have a "peacho de RADEON" :)
and I have powerfull capability drivers more faster than my nvidia 5800 ultra on mandrake.
Gentoo is other wolrd, but the drivers are here, for free for the public and runs 9700 9700 pro or my 9800 pro :) faster than a shark in the sea :sp_canada
The binaries are in rpm but most aplications convert them...if not, try mandrake :n64:
Saludos!

OP
M

Moredhel

Alright.. so I've gotten my 9200SE Radeon and downloaded the drivers from ATI. Any tips on getting direct rendering to work?

Thanks.

txOjO

MDKEiToR
No ,no. The official ATI drivers, only for radeon8500 or 9000 is the best.
For 9100,9200,9500,9700,9800 and for the last 9800XT This drivers for XFree 4.1/4.2/4.3 are the best out and fast, power etc...
http://www.schneider-digital.de/html/download_ati.html

This "cool" drivers make the radeons in linux(and windows too) , same as NVIDIA with detonators or unified drivers(lin or win).
Don't remember the dri.sourceforge.net for any information about the DRI and for examples in files XF86Config.
Sorry my bad english can't explain me more "transparent" (anything say the water color) :)