What's new

Earthlink Accelerator

jollyrancher

Anyone tried this? Supposedly it speeds up standard Earthlink dial-up... and not just web pages. Even MP3s, file downloads, etc. Plus it's free. The only problem is that I think you have to install all that Earthlink bloatware that will practically turn your browser into something resembling AOL. But maybe if it speeded up everything 2X it would be worth it. It uses better compression and something called "persistent connections" so it's more than some fancy web page caching system... just wish you could use it with standard IE Explorer.

2fast4u

well, about all those "speedup" utilities there is one major problem. you still have a 56k modem, so you can pull 6k/sec max and thats the end of it. software tools here or there.

OP
J

jollyrancher

The following's from Earthlink's site... it seems to say that MP3s and files download faster... anyway Earthlink used to charge $7/month extra for the service and now it's free, so maybe I'll give it a shot, bloatware and all.

Does everything on my computer move faster? What kind of Web content does EarthLink Accelerator speed up?
EarthLink Accelerator improves delivery speeds for everything that's Web-based. You'll see an improvement in load times for:

All text, HTML, markup, and JavaScript
Most graphics and photos—including JPEG and GIF files
Most banner ads—including animated GIF images and Macromedia Flash content
All browser-based emails
All emails that contain images, even when you view them in an email program on your computer (rather than Web Mail)
MP3 files, executables, and other files (when downloaded using your Web browser)
The speed of your dial-up service will stay the same when it comes to:

Streaming media, audio, and video files
Secure pages—like the ones used for online banking and shopping
Files downloaded using FTP (rather than your browser)

smegforbrain

They're full of shit.

The only thing that these "accelerators" can do is websites. Why? Because the pages themselves are cached, and then only the things you need are pulled to update the pages as you go along.
Images and such are compressed, and will actually look worse with these things.

The only thing it's useful for is if you visit the same handful of sites day in and day out. Beyond that? They're full of it.

Eagle

aka Alshain
Internet Accelerator utilities do one thing and one thing only. They cache web pages. Something the browser is capable of doing on its own with the correct settings. Its that simple, and yes it does speed up the loading of webpages... if youve been to it once before.

OP
J

jollyrancher

I think you guys are right that this "accelerator" stuff is "smoke and mirrors." I can't believe that Earthlink and NetZero are running these huge advertising campaigns (I've seen like 5 ads just today watching college football) saying that it speeds up dial-up 5X. I'm starting to lose my respect for Earthlink.

dukenukem

lord freiza
lol i would only have respect for earthlik if this thing would speed up downloads on mirc,kazzalite to at least 6-7kbps rather than2-4kbps,i will not use earthlink for this because i download files all the time.I also hate their stupid ad campaign on tv.