What's new

1964 Suggestion

jih2000

Hi,

1964 is an excellent emulator, good work guys. I have a good suggestion i think, unless it has already been addressed.

Much like the mame gui's and today I noticed in the Dolphine gui, it would be great if 1964 had the posibility in the rom browser had the option for a small image placeholder next to each game listed eg a banner or small icon next to each item in the list. This way, modders could make small image icons for each game etc :)
;)
cheers,

Marty

ChronusDark

this doesnt really have anything to do with the post above i just figured it would be a good place to make a suggestion:

im a progammer myself and after using 1964 for a while i see only 1 thing i would like added other than compatibality issues...game profiles

it doesnt seem like it would be very hard or resource consuming to make each game be able to be configured seprately from each other (i.e different control schemes for each game of automatic plugin changes), sort of like profiles.

i dont want to be bossy and if this idea doesnt get implemented i will just simply code my own frontend for it, but i believe it would be a worthwhile feature. I want to see 1964 become the best 64 emulator ever. its nice to see a N64 emulator with such high compatibality still being worked on, good job programmers!!

C

catewauler

i agree with you...

Catewauler online:

That´s thruth I prefer a great n64 emu, with lots of compatible games than a fancy thing that does nothing...

Great job, thanks to this forum...

karth95

Lord of the Cats
The suggestions have been made before. They have been addressed, too. Here's why those things haven't happened yet.

there are goals for 1964. Those goals are set by the author, and as far as I understand it, he wants to code the best n64 emulator for low end machines in existance. This means he spends time doing that, not coding screenshot thumbnail previews like MAME, or making individual game profilers. The problem with individual game profilers is that there is no global set of plugins that works perfectly on every game, on every system. You'd spend months building a profile set, then have to rewrite it once Azi released a new audio plugin or Icepir8 put out a new graphics plugin.

ChronusDark

karth95 said:
The suggestions have been made before. They have been addressed, too. Here's why those things haven't happened yet.

there are goals for 1964. Those goals are set by the author, and as far as I understand it, he wants to code the best n64 emulator for low end machines in existance. This means he spends time doing that, not coding screenshot thumbnail previews like MAME, or making individual game profilers. The problem with individual game profilers is that there is no global set of plugins that works perfectly on every game, on every system. You'd spend months building a profile set, then have to rewrite it once Azi released a new audio plugin or Icepir8 put out a new graphics plugin.

You have made a point, but i dont think you see what im talking about. I really hate to use a completely different system as an example but there is a program out as a fontend for ePSXe called ePSXeCutor, it uses a database built by the end user, not the community,i know that its im possible to predict what plugins to use on each system but the user could make his own database. i dont think many people have over 20-30 n64 roms anyways, most just play Zelda, mario and a few others. I use completely different control schemes for zelda and mario, also im not saying that the original author should do this, perhaps someone will read this and make a frontend

Edit:
someone should make a stickey thread for suggestions so that ppl wont have to keep being told that they already talked about a certain suggestion

Last edited:
OP
J

jih2000

karth95 said:

I see your point, except that I said quoting myself "modders" eg the end users/support sites etc to make the graphics pack, obviously it would not be the emulator authors who generate thumbs, icons etc, that is the users who support the emu much like language files and other additionals... From a programming perspective, it is fairly simple to add an image placeholder into a list control as this is built into win32 and then have some method to associate images with internal game names etc. Anyway, just an idea, best of luck with 0.99, cheers :1964:
Marty