What's new

SSF / CD drive troubles

Di55ident

I've been trying to get SSF working for a while now (currently using ssf07_R6), but get the error message 'there is no cd drive which can be used', my cd drive is a plextor cd burner, although I also have Daemon tools installed.

I've tried running it under windows 2000 & 98 with the appropriate wnaspi32.dll each time.

Could the problem be that the cd drive needs to be on D: perhaps? (mine are on J: & K:)

Can anyone help me out? Thanks in advance!

2fast4u

well winaspi32 wont help you for win2000 at least. try installing adaptecs aspi layer. linky

i should really put that into an faq and post it on the board. thats like most common question ever :)

OP
D

Di55ident

Thanks for the info! I installed aspi 4.71.2 from adaptec's site. But I still got the same '..no cd drive..' message.

I then deleted wnaspi32.dll from the ssf folder, but then got the error 'it failed in reading a file'. In despair, I even tried searching for all the *aspi*.dll files on my pc, renaming them to wnaspi32.dll and put them in the ssf folder - didnt work either.

Could you expain some more about just what files need to be in the ssf folder to get the thing to run.

For what it's worth I'd say a ssf setup faq would be very useful - I've heard it's a good emulator but it just seems incredibly tricky to get going (this is the 3rd time i've tried it)

OP
D

Di55ident

I have a dual boot but I've been doing this in windows 2000.
Here are the specs:
AMD Athlon XP2500
512mb RAM
Radeon 8500

and the drive configuration:
Plextor 24x cd burner on I:
Daemon tools cd emulator on J:
Windows 2000 on D:
Win98SE on C:
HD partitions on E:->H:

I did have another cd emulator that came with cdrwin, but I removed that now.

I've tried using ssf with both a US and a Japanese bios (renamed as boot.rom), both of which have worked ok with satourne.

Apart from the bios, the only other file i've added to the ssf folder is wnaspi32.

phew, I think that's all the info! Let me know if there's anything else. Like I say, it'd be great to get this thing up & running, it's been driving me nuts!

2fast4u

right, for windows 2000 i thought the aspi drivers should do the trick. appearantly not tho. generally wnaspi32 doenst help you for 2000 since those are 9x drivers. you can try running ssf in win95 compatibility mode as a last straw. otherwise im out of ideas atm.

OP
D

Di55ident

Hmm, I'll give it another try under windows 98, and if I get the chance, I'll try it on a friends computer (also win2k but with a simpler drive configuration) Failing that, I'll just give up it and try again 6 months from now.

Thanks for the help, at least now I know that I *should* have all the files I need!