What's new

This girl needs help!

Monica

Ok. Please do not flame me because I happen to be chick. I may be a newbie but at least know more than the average 22 year old female. I need help and haven't had any luck finding the answer.

I've been playing with Project 64 over the last week. My computer isn't anything special. It's a PentiumIII 1.2 GHz. I was using the NVIDIA Vanta video card and really wasn't having any problems except for occasional cut-outs and slowdown. Overall, everything was cool and I was able to play my fav games (Mario and DK)!

My sister's boyfriend gave me a new Hercules 3D Prophet II 64 MB GeForce 2 card (I'm on budget!). I installed it and it definitely gave me better resolution AND speed than the 800x600 I was doing before. BUT now that I've installed the card, everytime I try to ESC or EXIT Project 64 to go to another game, it freezes up my computer!! It locks up everytime! I've tried lowering the resolution and everything!

I admit it. I am clueless when it comes to settings. I know this doesn't help but any help would be greatly appreciated. I just want to be able to kick back and play some games with my girls on a Friday night. I also want to learn more about emulation.

Please do not flame me. I don't have a boyfriend to show me the ropes. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot!

Monica

Trotterwatch

Don't worry about flaming you because your a girl! One of our cleverest members (she runs rings around me without doubt) is a girl/lady - Tagrineth.

Do you know what drivers your card currently runs? The default drivers that ship with cards are not usually the current best. So it may be worth your while (if not already done) to go to http://www.nvidia.com, and download the latest drivers for your card. It would also be wise to uninstall the ones you currently use, reboot and then install the new ones.

Another thing worth trying (possibly before the above) is to uninstall PJ64 (using the uninstall folder and the reg settings contained therein). Then reinstall it, see if that works.

Moose Jr.

Raging Moose
Do you know what drivers your card currently runs? The default drivers that ship with cards are not usually the current best. So it may be worth your while (if not already done) to go to http://www.nvidia.com, and download the latest drivers for your card. It would also be wise to uninstall the ones you currently use, reboot and then install the new ones.

I agree. On another tech board I frequent, installing a new card without following the proper procedure is one of the biggest source of bugs.

OP
M

Monica

Trotterwatch said:
Trotterwatch,

Thanks for the fast response! You rock!

I did try reinstall both the drivers and PJ application last night, but no luck. I just don't get why it plays and only freezes up when I hit ESC or EXIT.

It's very frustrating. Wish I had a better computer.

revl8er

That Damn Good
Did you download the newest drivers for your videocard? Also try redownloading pj64 and installing it. Do you have the service pack 1? If not then download that and see if you get better results.

Trotterwatch

What operating system are you using? If you are using XP, then try going to start>run>eventvwr.msc , and see if you have any errors logged at the precise time PJ64 crashes (you'll of course have to restart the computer before you can see the logs though :)).

Also ensure you shut down background processes before starting PJ64 (by CTRL ALT DEL) - just in case something such as a rogue background app is causing some sort of interference.

It may also be worth your while to use 1964 with the same plugins from PJ64. Just as an experiment to see if that too crashes.

I'm off to sleep now, just spent over an hour fixing "The Sims - Superstar" for my GF...... rotten game and it's stupid crash to desktop bugs, grrrrrr

BTW, your computer is perfectly fine for N64 emulation :)

Moose Jr.

Raging Moose
Monica - A guy I know had probs with his new video card, and it wasn't until he uninstalled the drivers from his previous card that it worked. If you haven't done that already--you said "reinstall" so I can't be sure--a good utility to use is Driver Cleaner.

A little off topic - Trotterwatch... I had the same prob w/the sims on win2kpro... did you fix it? Or is it just a kernel bug? Because I know it works flawlessly on 98.

OP
M

Monica

Mystic Gohan said:
Did you download the newest drivers for your videocard? Also try redownloading pj64 and installing it. Do you have the service pack 1? If not then download that and see if you get better results.

Gohan and others,

Thanks for being big brothers. I did try reloading PJ64 and the newest drivers. I am using Jabo's plugins for everything. Are there some advanced settings I need to set?

Is it not recommended to use 1600x1200 resolution?

I am contemplating putting my old VANTA back in!

THanks again.

Mo

Moose Jr.

Raging Moose
Monica said:
Is it not recommended to use 1600x1200 resolution?
I am contemplating putting my old VANTA back in!

I'm no tech wiz, but AFAIK resolution (unless your card doesn't support it) has no bearing on the matter. And you already tried changing the res so that sort of rules it out.

As for the Vanta, don't give up hope yet! I'm sure within the next few days some of the other bright ones on this board will see this topic and be able to help.

scotty

The Great One
Monica, DO NOT worry about Donkey Kong 64, it is a real well known issue. Another Question I have for you is:

Have you tried other emulators? I am not saying that PJ64 isnt good, it is a good emulator. I am surpirsed that Mario 64 actually has a problem, I hear that Disolve effect has errors, but Ive never run into this problem.

What you could do next time is clarify the problem, just saying it doesnt work doesnt really cut it around here for a problem, yes it is obvious it doesnt work, but why doesnt it work.

Donkey Kong 64 is rumoured to be fixed in the next version of 1964, which date of release is yet to be determined (dont ask them, they get ticked at that, I know I did the same thing)
(no i am not trying to bash you cause you're a chick)

Gent

The Soul Reaving Gentleman
Administrator
Monica said:
I installed it and it definitely gave me better resolution AND speed than the 800x600 I was doing before. BUT now that I've installed the card, everytime I try to ESC or EXIT Project 64 to go to another game, it freezes up my computer!! It locks up everytime! I've tried lowering the resolution and everything!

Hi Monica, this happens when you set the Plugin Full Screen Resolution to match the desktop Resolution also?

RJARRRPCGP

The Rocking PC Wiz
Monica, what motherboard do you have?

Also, what chipset do you have?

One more thing, make sure you uninstall the Nvidia drivers for the old video card. Chances are, the old drivers don't properly support GeForce video cards.

Go to the PJ64-uninstall folder and click at the uninstall-program. This won't delete anything of PJ64 but just removes the settings. Now click at PJ64 again and your problem has disappeared!

nephalim

Psychic Vampire
Wow, the smell of nerd testosterone is very...particular....

And if she's a chick, i'm a flying purple elephant.

scotty

The Great One
nephalim said:
Wow, the smell of nerd testosterone is very...particular....

And if she's a chick, i'm a flying purple elephant.

And If she's a chick, Im a lucky camper (wink, wink)

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
There are some nerd chicks out there you know, rare but they do exist...

Last edited: