What's new

Whats a good processor?

Player 1

EmuTalk Member
What is a AMD Athlon XP 3000+?

Well please tell me what this is AMD Athlon XP 3000+ and please tell me what processor is 3.0 ghz?

Last edited:

pandamoan

Banned
the 3000+ is actually only a 2 and change ghz processor... but it's rated to compete with intel's 3 ghz processor... supposedly.

it breaks down like this: anything over 2 ghz is fine, so get the cheapest over 2 ghz, which is going to be an xp derivative.

however, if you want the very MOST powerful, get the fastest intel, but you're going to pay through the nose.

dukenukem

lord freiza
go with a pentium43.2ghz if you have the cash or go with an amd athlonxp3000 or 2.5ghz intel celeron processor if your on a tight budget.

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
The newest athlons aren't as powerful as they say to be (or was I wrong?) Anywho, 3 ghz? I mean, there's no need for as much as that. Get the 2000+ series of athlon processors; they should do.

Clements

On benchmark sites I've been to, the Intel P4 processors have the top/high end, and the competing Athlons are not quite as fast (not taking into consideration overclocking, mind), so perhaps if you had lots of money, Intel is probably your best bet.

I'd probably get an Athlon (2000+ series like Doom said) myself, though, as they are much cheaper as the only thing that will tax it is N64 emulation as PC games tend to be graphics card intensive these days.

You could wait for the 64-Bit Opterons etc. if you hold out for a few more months and want the best.

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
LOL... still hanging around Tom's I see? Look at Serious Sam benchmarks, you'll find the P4 3GHz has trouble competing with the Athlon 2600+. ;)

pandamoan

Banned
Tagrineth said:
LOL... still hanging around Tom's I see? Look at Serious Sam benchmarks, you'll find the P4 3GHz has trouble competing with the Athlon 2600+. ;)

seriously, whatever you do, DO NOT buy a celeron or duron. The savings are not worth it.

if money ain't an issue, get a p4 with as much ghz as you can afford.

if money IS an issue, get an athlon with as much ghz as you can afford.

it's just that easy.

jamie

Hyper19s

Banned
dang my pentium4 isnt at the top of the list now.
looks like im in second its still kicks ass any way.
pentium 4s are great

Last edited:
OP
Player 1

Player 1

EmuTalk Member
hey thanks you guys! been great help! and what processors would be great for doom3? and half-life2? also do i need a certain cooling fan for the pentium 4 2.8 ghz?? (<---the one im planning to get)

Last edited:

Burnpro

Supar ***
hey player1.. i`m planning to get a 2.8 ghz p4 too but mine is 533 fsb :( .
if you buy the retail p4 2.8 ghz it comes with the fan.. its a big fan for that little p4..

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
You guys are seriously wasting your money. Processors evolve amazingly fast. Soon, that processor that you bought will be cheap, like the others. And to boot, my small system (far below your processor) is enough to run all games, including emulation, at full speed. At highest (or best) settings as well.

My point? You could save a _LOT_ of money by buying a cheaper processor and still get what you want out of it. But hey, it's not my decision.

pandamoan

Banned
Doomulation said:
You guys are seriously wasting your money. Processors evolve amazingly fast. Soon, that processor that you bought will be cheap, like the others. And to boot, my small system (far below your processor) is enough to run all games, including emulation, at full speed. At highest (or best) settings as well.

My point? You could save a _LOT_ of money by buying a cheaper processor and still get what you want out of it. But hey, it's not my decision.

that is also why i recommend the fastest athlon you can afford. you save alot of money that way, and have alot of power.

jamie

OP
Player 1

Player 1

EmuTalk Member
the fan that comes with it does it make a lot of noise? or it is it quiet?
for the pentium 4

Last edited:

revl8er

That Damn Good
I'm not sure about the fan because I don't have a fast athlon right now, but i have ordered a new pc and you can see it in my sig.

scotty

The Great One
Im probably going to get another computer soon, Ive had my eyes on a Pentium 4 2.6 GHz for awhile. I never have trusted AMD's processors I have always been loyal to Intel processors, and the tests show (clements image posted).

NeoNight

Doomulation said:

how much you paid for your setup? I wanted to do an upgrade and would like some advice