What's new

your games are hanging every seconds or so on linux while sound is still smooth ?

Hacktarux

Emulator Developer
if it happens edit main/gui_gtk/main_gtk.c and uncomment content of new_frame() and new_vi(). Then compile mupen64 and try it to see if it solved your problem. If it did, please tell me what's your computer, what plugins you were using and what linux kernel you're using.

conguito

Hacktarux said:
if it happens edit main/gui_gtk/main_gtk.c and uncomment content of new_frame() and new_vi(). Then compile mupen64 and try it to see if it solved your problem. If it did, please tell me what's your computer, what plugins you were using and what linux kernel you're using.

Hi, I had the problem you described (with all GFX plugins, sound, etc...), when I uncommented new_vi() the problem was gone (apparently there's no need to uncomment new_frame()). If I change new_vi() to:

void new_vi() {
usleep(1);
}

it will also work, with the only difference that the sound will shutter on some instances (e.g Mario 64 when Mario's head is shown on the start screen). I guess there's a timing problem somewhere.

My distro is Mandrake 9.1 with the 2.4.21-0.13mdk kernel, and an Athlon 1800, KDE3.1, I'm mainly using rice's and the mupen audio.

Hope this helps.

mafiosnik

same problem here... emulator hangs every second but sound is pretty good... games are totally unplayable! after uncommenting new_frame() and new_vi() mupen is now VERY slow (3-5FPS). same problem with conguitos solution. i was really happy when i seen that u released a new version of mupen yesterday but i was very frustrated while testing some games. i hope u fix this problem in next release! maybe u release mupen64-0.3b for linux users in the next time? :) *hope*

ah... rices plugin does NOT work for me.. here is the error output.

Initializing OpenGL Device Context
(II) Initializing SDL video subsystem...
(II) Getting video info...
(II) Setting video mode 640x480...
NVIDIA Corporation - GeForce2 GTS/AGP/3DNOW! : 1.4.0 NVIDIA 43.63
demarrage r4300
interprétation
Signal number 4 caught:
errno = 0 (Success)
Xlib: unexpected async reply (sequence 0xc147)!

hope a fixed release will be out soon :)

My System:
Gentoo Linux 1.4
CPU: AthlonXP 1700+
GPU: GeForce2 GTS 32MB
RAM: 256DDR 333MHz
Kernel: gaming-sources-2.4.20-r3
XFree: xfree-4.3.0-r2
Plugins: glN64-0.4.1 & mupens audio

hope this information is enough.

OP
Hacktarux

Hacktarux

Emulator Developer
ouch
mafiosnik, i've never heard about such problem.... with your computer, many games should run almost full speed...
such error with rice's plugin make me thinking it can be an X11 problem (opengl states not cleanly cleared by an application or something) do u have tried to restart xwindow ? also check you have the RiceDaedalus ini file in your plugins folder.

mafiosnik

Hacktarux said:
ouch
mafiosnik, i've never heard about such problem.... with your computer, many games should run almost full speed...
such error with rice's plugin make me thinking it can be an X11 problem (opengl states not cleanly cleared by an application or something) do u have tried to restart xwindow ? also check you have the RiceDaedalus ini file in your plugins folder.

yes the ini is there but it still does not work.. dont know why .. i tryed even to reboot and some other things but nothing helped. with mupen0.2 i have 90-100%.

OP
Hacktarux

Hacktarux

Emulator Developer
do u have the possibility to connect to irc (#mupen64 on efnet) ?
I'd like to understand what's the problem...

Soggie

Hacktarux said:
If it did, please tell me what's your computer, what plugins you were using and what linux kernel you're using.

This issue occurs on my system, and is solved by uncommenting new_frame() and new_vi().

Computer: 2.4GHz Pentium4, 1GB RAM, Matrox G400 (Mesa-DRI 4.0.4, OpenGL1.2)
Distro: RedHat 9 (XFree86-4.3.0, glibc-2.3.2, gcc-3.2.2)
Kernel: kernel-2.4.20-19.9 (RH9 updates)

Plugins used: tr64 / ricedaedalus + mupen64_audio + blight_input

Gaenya

Im getting the same error that mafiosnik with rice plugin, other than that mupen is running just fine.

OP
Hacktarux

Hacktarux

Emulator Developer
hmm just got an idea... please check if you're not missing any library to get rice's plugin working: "ldd -r the_plugin_you_want_to_check.so"

You need glibc 2.3 to use the precompiled binaries... otherwise you'll have to compile yourself...

Gaenya

ive compiled the plugin miself, so thats not the problem and ive checked the library and there isnt any missing library

Sri Narayan

riceplugin

i have a problem:

to the compile the plugin i add the following include files in CNvTntCombiner.cpp:

#include "glext.h"
#include "glh_genext.h"

because of GL_SUBTRACT_ARB first use of this function

then I had linking problems:

/usr/bin/ld: Warning: type of symbol `glMultiTexCoord1dARB' changed from 2 to 1 in OGLGraphicsContext.o
/usr/bin/ld: Warning: type of symbol `glMultiTexCoord1dvARB' changed from 2 to 1 in OGLGraphicsContext.o
/usr/bin/ld: Warning: type of symbol `glMultiTexCoord1fARB' changed from 2 to 1 in OGLGraphicsContext.o
/usr/bin/ld: Warning: type of symbol `glMultiTexCoord1fvARB' changed from 2 to 1 in OGLGraphicsContext.o
/usr/bin/ld: Warning: type of symbol `glMultiTexCoord1iARB' changed from 2 to 1 in OGLGraphicsContext.o

don't know why.

mupen didn't recognise this plugin because of my specific

stuff

I have to do it manually

but no rom is starting

Another thing is the sound
I can hear the sound two time.
One second before and then in the right timing

But through all what I've written

nice work (these little problems will solve easyily by you hacktarux)

see you

gcc version 3.2
Debian Linuxtag edition
nvidia 4496
kernel 2.4.21

OP
Hacktarux

Hacktarux

Emulator Developer
I have those warning too, and from what i've read on the internet it should be a gcc bug but the plugin should still perfectly work ;)

Also, it would be cool if someone who's having rice's plugin crash symptom could compile everything with debugging symbols (-g option) and run it through gdb to see at which line it's crashing.

You can also try to enable/disable SSE optimizations and see what happen.

OP
Hacktarux

Hacktarux

Emulator Developer
i haven't used the -fPIC option in the makefile.... on gentoo it isn't a problem at all but i'm wondering if it's a problem on other ditros.... unfortunately you can't simply compile the plugin with this option, i have to change source code too

linemu

skipping

On banjo kazooie it freezes up every second. ssb, mariokart, mario64, diddy kong racing, OOT, MM, and kirby64 are exempt from this problem. However in oot, and kirby64, after playing them for a couple minutes they freeze up. COMPLETELY (although the sound goes on). WIERD. Needless to say I continue to use .2 (with gl64 4.1 ported by blight).

OP
Hacktarux

Hacktarux

Emulator Developer
People who can't run rice's plugin:
Can you try the attached plugin and tell me if it changes something ?

linemu

Hacktarux said:
can you send me a save state of oot just before it freezes ?

I can't really predict the freeze ups... they're in different spots every time.
Although I could probably time how long it takes for it to freeze. And as Its an issue with the emu itself.. I don't think it would do the same thing for you. If it doesn't do it with your computer right now it won't do it if I give you a savestate.

OP
Hacktarux

Hacktarux

Emulator Developer
if it's a core problem it'll happen on all computers... but i never play games really deep, can you tell me at least in which area is it crashing ? intro, begining of game, first level....

linemu

crash

Hacktarux said:
if it's a core problem it'll happen on all computers... but i never play games really deep, can you tell me at least in which area is it crashing ? intro, begining of game, first level....

well...
Its happened while battling ganondorf, and while in the sacred forest meadow as an adult. Those are the only two places I've tested it at.