What's new

Failed to allocate memory

Rom Raptor

i get this error with project64 1.5 on all computers ive tried on (all are win xp or win server 2k3). anybody else had this problem? what can be done? thanks in advance!

OP
R

Rom Raptor

didn't help unfortunately. the strange thing is i get this on all computers i've tried and all are fast enough and have enough memory

Trotterwatch

Any common links between all of the computers? (asides the OS, for example do they all run a certain type of virus checker, or use certain graphics cards etc)

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
Yes. The Failed to Allocate Memory bug. I have it too.

It's an obvious fuckup by the programmers SOMEWHERE.

The only common link is that it only happens on Windows XP.

Smiff

Emutalk Member
yeah its a fuckup by the programmers, but i dunno about obvious since as i repeat none of the pj team saw it ever and nor has anyone any ideas what could be the cause, however, i'm soon going to have 2 or 3 new installs of WinXP so i'll be most curious if i start to see this too. I take it the thread starter has tried the 3 or 4 suggestions in the FAQ.

Last edited:
OP
R

Rom Raptor

hm there might be a corrupt version floating around because i now dowloaded it from the official site and it worked

Geoz

De Master
Rom Raptor said:
hm there might be a corrupt version floating around because i now dowloaded it from the official site and it worked

If it happens again use Freeram xp it worked 4 me...
i think its an XP thing... :doh:

EDIT:
If you leave it then it starts working again...(thats wot it did on my other comp (win xp pro)) weird :alien:

Last edited:

Curious

Failed to Allocate memory

Geoz said:
If it happens again use Freeram xp it worked 4 me...
i think its an XP thing... :doh:

EDIT:
If you leave it then it starts working again...(thats wot it did on my other comp (win xp pro)) weird :alien:

Unfortunately, recently I have the same problem with the latest version of PJ64. I have tried all the suggestions onlined above and still I am getting the "failure to allocate memory" error. I am aware there is no real solution to this problem. I just wanted to let those working on this error know that none of the above are solutions which have worked for me. PJ64 1_5 was working perfectly for me up until 2 days ago, it is curious this error should suddenly appear.

All the best,

C.

Systems Specs:
Intel P3 1 Ghz
Ati Radeon
256 MB RAM
WinXP Professional

:pj64:

Clements

I could run Zelda (32MB) on my old comp with WinXP and 56MB RAM with Project64, default plugins. I increased my virtual memory and closed unnessesary applications/services, then I never got the 'fail to allocate memory' memory message again. Since buying a new PC, I've never had the message at all.

Fred64

A possible fix

Hello everybody,

I would like to contribute on the subject, because the "failed to allocate memory" bug happened to me, and I got rid of it.

I simply opened the task manager, killed a process, then tried to launch PJ64. I tried to kill each process until I eventually found the one that was preventing PJ64 from starting.

For me, it was TrayMon.exe, a process related to my webcam. For some others, it may be the anti-virus.

I recommend you try this, and hopefully, it will fix this problem.

Fred

Geoz

De Master
Fred64 said:
Hello everybody,

I would like to contribute on the subject, because the "failed to allocate memory" bug happened to me, and I got rid of it.

I simply opened the task manager, killed a process, then tried to launch PJ64. I tried to kill each process until I eventually found the one that was preventing PJ64 from starting.

For me, it was TrayMon.exe, a process related to my webcam. For some others, it may be the anti-virus.

I recommend you try this, and hopefully, it will fix this problem.

Fred

That proccess did not stop PJ64 from working the error occurs when 2 many proccess are running. Also placing PJ64 in a higher prioitry (not recomended) fixes this problem till restart. FreeRam XP worked for ever on my comp i aint had this prob again *Geoz touches wood... :matrix:

Fred64

FreeRam did not fix it for me. And I have plenty of memory.
I think the question is more : if something is already loaded exactly where PJ64 wants to allocate the memory, then it crashes.
So if you are lucky, then FreeRam will free that memory, but if a process is there, then you need to kill it manually.
This is just a supposition, I don't mean to argue :)

Fred

Jabo

Emulator Developer
It's not really a 'fuckup' by a developer, PJ like any other piece of software with complex memory needs tries to allocate a specific range of virtual memory for addressing and allocation, if you have other applications/services/drivers that are either too large, or are fragmenting up your memory (try a reboot?) PJ won't open, it's a fairly simple straight forward thing, you just need to have a clue about how much address space a 32-bit processor has without PAE (most desktop chips dont have it, and windows doesnt include it by default anyway)

So there are two requirements, physical/swappable ram, but also virtual space... shut down stuff you don't need, some stupid silly application you think is using no RAM could end up using a gig of virtual address space

Last edited:

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
Jabo... it is a fuckup by a developer.

I have yet to see any other programme PERIOD give an error even similar to it.

PJ64 is wonderful, and works great... but 'failed to allocate memory' is an obvious fuckup. If it was up to general software or Windows, then WHY DOES NOTHING ELSE EXHIBIT THIS PROBLEM?